***Official 2020-2021 Transfer Thread***

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Unless someone else transfers, I don’t see using a spot for a guy who isn’t a pure PG, a lights out shooter, or has positional size.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Honestly Grill has the same trajec as Naz long. Max averaged less than 2 points his freshman season and 7 his sophomore season. Grill is slightly above that his sophomore season. Not everyone is a star. You need the Grill type players also. Tyrese Hunter will be a star and Rasir will be better if he stays since he won’t have to play out of position

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
His first and second (rumored) addition don’t get me hyped up to watch Iowa State Basketball. You go 0-18 and never want to live through that again so you hope for a huge upgrade in talent and so far I don’t see it. Thankfully it’s early and there’s still open scholarships to make a splash.

Go ahead and break the news of this rumor...who is it?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The thing that I don’t like about this is that it flies in the face of what TJ said at his press conference. He said he wanted guys that want to be at Iowa State. With Caleb, if he wanted to be at Iowa State, he would STILL be at Iowa State. He wasn’t forced out, he chose to leave.

I’ll probably catch some flack for this, but a few things that TJ has done already have me scratching my head. I am not a TJ hater. I’m rooting for the guy, but I still don’t have a good feel for how genuine he is.

Lol. K. Just win baby.

• Optimistic
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
His first and second (rumored) addition don’t get me hyped up to watch Iowa State Basketball. You go 0-18 and never want to live through that again so you hope for a huge upgrade in talent and so far I don’t see it. Thankfully it’s early and there’s still open scholarships to make a splash.
An 0-18 team is not going to be able to fill up on six 15ppg transfers. Be realistic man.

PizzaTheHutt

Feb 6, 2014
Sometimes it’s more about players that fit your system and the culture you’re trying to build than it is about a huge upgrade in talent. Talent is one piece of the pie....but there are other things like work ethic, IQ, being a team player, attitude and effort. These things can often be just as if not more important. With that said his current potential additions do have plenty of talent despite what you may think. I’ll take the side of a coach that’s been evaluating talent his whole life....and has proven successful in doing so. Sit back and let the man build what he’s trying to build..... there are plenty of elements to this puzzle we don’t have access to, you’re just seeing a small piece and jumping to conclusions.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I think some on here give Grill a massive bump because Prohm stinks. Why so much more excited for him than this year’s frosh class? Apply the same “bonus” to them, and we’d have an all-conference set of starters.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
TJ definitely likes Caleb. He led the Rebels in minutes played and the roster included Jenkins who was a Summit League 1st Teamer under TJ at SDSU.

One thing that seems to be overlooked is Caleb is athletic and great hops for a 6'3" kid. Grill shot 34% from 3. No guarantees, but with 3 years to play would not surprise me if he isn't a 40% 3 point shooter in a couple years. He also had a quick release in UNLV games I watched and wasn't shy about shooting.

IMO comparing sophomore Matt Thomas to sophomore Caleb Grill isn't too far off and I think Caleb is quicker and a better jumper.

str8cashhomie

Jun 15, 2014
The problem with comparing Grill to Thomas is Matt could create his own shot and Grill doesn’t have that ability because of his below average ball handling. Grill is a great athlete, but he can’t really put himself in the position to utilize that because he can’t put the ball on the floor. (Zion Griffin was similar.)
Were we watching the same Matt Thomas? lol He was almost strictly catch and shoot for the better part of 2 or 3 years, and after that, you started getting maybe a little bit of off the dribble pull up stuff.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
The problem with comparing Grill to Thomas is Matt could create his own shot and Grill doesn’t have that ability because of his below average ball handling. Grill is a great athlete, but he can’t really put himself in the position to utilize that because he can’t put the ball on the floor. (Zion Griffin was similar.)
I don't remember Matt creating much of anything his first 2 years.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
He didn’t do it a ton but Thomas could actually dribble. Are we watching the same Grill to even begin putting the two players in the same category?

“But guys, Matt Thomas also wasn’t great as a FR and SO.”

Well yeah but he was on two great teams playing behind some of the most talent ISU has ever had. Those rosters were stacked. Grill wouldn’t have seen the floor at all those first 2 years.

Matt wasn’t playing behind anyone at the start of his career. He started 15 games as a freshman and struggled enough that Fred kept reducing his minutes. He started 0 games as a sophomore. Matt really improved his junior year. That was Prohm’s first and when TJ came back. I think TJ’s presence had a lot to do with Matt’s refound confidence. And I think Matt said so.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
This board has a weird boner for Caleb Grill. He was an abysmal producer for arguably the worst or second-worst team in program history. He improved from below average to average at UNLV with much higher usage in a lesser conference. Just because “durrrrrrrrrr muh brain ruhmumbers that name so let’s get him I remember him so he is good at the sportsball durrrrrrrrr” we want him back?

Is there such dissonance caused by one’s history with- /passion for Iowa State that our fan base tards out to the fact that there will be much better options in this ridiculous transfer market? He’s a player that contributed to Prohm losing his job. You don’t bring that back, though I have no doubt Otz will. But you shouldn’t settle for average players. He’s no Scott Christopherson shooting the ball and there are a lot of “gym rats” on the market.

I remember having this opinion of Matt Thomas his Soph. year and now he makes roughly 40x what I make a year. I got that one wrong.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It’s also a sizable step up in competition. My position boils down to not seeing the point in ghosting Nunn to run him off to bring in someone of Grill’s caliber. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Nunn isn’t that good.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Matt wasn’t playing behind anyone at the start of his career. He started 15 games as a freshman and struggled enough that Fred kept reducing his minutes. He started 0 games as a sophomore. Matt really improved his junior year. That was Prohm’s first and when TJ came back. I think TJ’s presence had a lot to do with Matt’s refound confidence. And I think Matt said so.
Yeah Matt and TJ were very close.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
I would welcome Grill if TJ thinks it’s a good fit and he wants to be here. The hardest part about turning a program around is getting your team to buy into the new culture you need to succeed. I have to imagine TJ would value Grill because he clearly believes in what his vision is for his teams, otherwise he wouldn’t have followed him like he has.

I think Grill could be a role player for us that also helps to move our program in the right direction. Some of you seem to think we’re going to get a bunch of MacDonalds AAs coming off a winless conference season and are going to be severely disappointed. I think a realistic goal will be 6-8 wins with a solid group of players that we can build with going forward.

Coach Campbell had to do the same thing his first couple years and some panicked because some poor fitting talented players didn’t want to buy in. Sucked to see people leave but the payoff has been amazing and hindsight is 20-20.