***Official 2020-2021 Transfer Thread***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think Grill has a pretty build, is a pretty dang good overall athlete, and will be an early buy in guy for TJ.

I also think the Thomas comparisons aren't something I totally agree with. I don't think becoming an elite shooter should necessarily be his goal. I think he should try to be somebody like Chris Babb who plays very good, solid perimeter defense and does a lot of little things for the team. Babb never averaged double figures in points and was absolutely essential to the turnaround. Let's see Grill match that.

Yeah, I don't think that the Thomas comparison works. Grill's game (though it's unfair to expect anything as high) reminds me of Hoiberg. Strong, physical guard with athletic ability that can shoot too.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
Yeah, I don't think that the Thomas comparison works. Grill's game (though it's unfair to expect anything as high) reminds me of Hoiberg. Strong, physical guard with athletic ability that can shoot too.

I guess I don't really understand why people think Grill can shoot. On the 19-20 ISU team, he wasn't even in the top half of the team in 3P% among those who had an attempt. He was 13 of 15 in FG Percentage (LAST among Scholarship players). He also shot 2nd to worse on FTs among those who had an attempt - 57%. As I season ticket holder, I remember his biggest contributions being standing in the corner and missing defensive assignments. I also remember his hustle, but I also recognize that hustle does not a player make - I got the "Charlie Hustle" award on my HS team before I realized that wrestling was actually a much better fit for me.

I feel like the counter is that people will point to his growth. I think it is also fair to ask how much of that can be attributed to moving to an easier conference. Even then, the improvement was not great... Still under 40% FG%, Still under 65% FT, and a solid increase in 3P% - but even that was still 34%.

Finally, if we are going to point to growth as Grill being a take, I have 2 thoughts... When can we expect that growth to plateau? And why wouldn't we extend the same growth projections to guys in our program who are also in their first year? Johnson, Harris, Walker, Dubar, all had better first year campaigns than Grill did.

TL,DR - I don't get the hype.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Any chance the forward leaving WV who is originally from Tacoma WA would have any recruitment connection with TJ during his time at UW? But that is now over 5 years ago, so maybe not.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I guess I don't really understand why people think Grill can shoot. On the 19-20 ISU team, he wasn't even in the top half of the team in 3P% among those who had an attempt. He was 13 of 15 in FG Percentage (LAST among Scholarship players). He also shot 2nd to worse on FTs among those who had an attempt - 57%. As I season ticket holder, I remember his biggest contributions being standing in the corner and missing defensive assignments. I also remember his hustle, but I also recognize that hustle does not a player make - I got the "Charlie Hustle" award on my HS team before I realized that wrestling was actually a much better fit for me.

I feel like the counter is that people will point to his growth. I think it is also fair to ask how much of that can be attributed to moving to an easier conference. Even then, the improvement was not great... Still under 40% FG%, Still under 65% FT, and a solid increase in 3P% - but even that was still 34%.

Finally, if we are going to point to growth as Grill being a take, I have 2 thoughts... When can we expect that growth to plateau? And why wouldn't we extend the same growth projections to guys in our program who are also in their first year? Johnson, Harris, Walker, Dubar, all had better first year campaigns than Grill did.

Well you are ignoring what Grill did at UNLV last season. Also, our freshman last year barely saw the floor. So I’m not sure how they had a better freshman season than Grill. Lastly, you can also see someone’s upside when evaluating them.
Just because jo blow scored 40 a game in high school does not mean he is a better prospect than the guy that scored 20

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I think that we can and should see some new growth projections under guys like Johnson and Walker. Harris and Dubar are no longer with the team so it doesn't matter anymore.

Grill's freshman year he was asked to play WAY too early. He was going to be a project for whatever team ended up landing him (yeah there were some good coaches wanting him). He's an athletic freak who was just starting to focus on one sport and was asked to play significant minutes right away for a really bad team. Last year, he shot the ball fairly well for sophomore. 34% is not awful. FWIW, Matt Thomas was a 33% shooter going into his junior year. He certainly needs to work on things but because of this weird year, he would be coming in with three years to play.

He has experience, he's a very hard worker, he's a good culture guy, and I'm assuming TJ is not thinking Grill will start right away. He'd be a very nice bench piece for us next year.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Didn’t do much at IU but was a 5 star coming out of HS

Players are all different I suppose when it comes to development or transitioning up to the college level. But wouldn't it suck to be a '5' star and not do much? At least our 4'star Foster had injury reasons. Geez I hope Xavier can develop under TJ and prove some doubters wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

I'm not huge on Grill but the guy did have a mis-diagnosed broken shooting hand and played with a wrap on it a lot of the year.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Also knows TJs offense and defensive schemes. Always good to have a player with that knowledge in practice.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
So interesting guy here, I have never seen him play and don't know if he has Big 12 athleticism. Freshman from UNLV entered portal, he was unranked out of high school. As true freshman he averaged 19 min a game, shot 38% from 3 (low attempts 8 for 21) 95% from free throw line (18 for 19), 3.5 rebounds 1.2 assists. He is 6 6 small forward Devin Tillis.

Freshman Devin Tillis emerging as closer for UNLV

Freshman Devin Tillis gives UNLV spark in 1st start

Unranked Devin Tillis Could Pay Off for UNLV

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
So interesting guy here, I have never seen him play and don't know if he has Big 12 athleticism. Freshman from UNLV entered portal, he was unranked out of high school. As true freshman he averaged 19 min a game, shot 38% from 3 (low attempts 8 for 21) 95% from free throw line (18 for 19), 3.5 rebounds 1.2 assists. He is 6 6 small forward Devin Tillis.

TJ took an unranked guy from h.s.? Oh my, the board might explode with that one.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
There are a lot of good transfers in the portal already. Going to be a crazy off season.
How many players will be in the portal? At this rate it seems like 1000 players. Going to be a lot of turnover in many programs. This is the best time to have open slots on your team. Hopefully we can grab 2-3 guys that want playing time and are of quality.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'm not pinning anything on anyone. It's what we were told. And what is even more interesting, had Jenkins become First Team All MWC I am %150 sure any and all of Jenkins success would have been pinned to....and only to TJ. You know, sort of like this:

So it's okay to drop the pose on how bad UNLV and TJ and his players were adversely affected by protocols and restrictions........moving.........and whatever else can be made up. He has the job.

I think you are looking for reasons to NOT LIKE TJ. My statement wasn't giving TJ credit for Jenkin's development. Just pointing out that Grill played more minutes at UNLV than the All Summit League player that followed TJ to UNLV.

Not sure why you would read into my statement that I was giving TJ credit for Jenkins. If you want to be a TJ hater, you are going to have it tough being a Cyclone fan for the next 5 years! You might has well become a Hawk fan;)

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What do you think is going on at Indiana? I think that's the fourth guy from there to enter the portal so far. And no coach implies whoever they've chosen is in the tournament, right? You'd think players would want to see who the coach is and meet with them before pulling the ripcord.