MLB: ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Season Thread***

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Agree, the catcher position has been a problem in the line up for a couple of years. Particularly this past season.
Defensively Kinzler is good enough to be a big league catcher, he just couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. The last 2 seasons Yadi wasn't any better at the plate though. It'd be nice to find a catcher than isn't an offensive liability along with bat in the outfield would be nice too. I'm feeling better about the pitching with the two pick-ups at the trade deadline this year though. A big stretch would be to get Jordan Walker into the bigs in a hurry along with Mason Wynn. I think those two are still a year away but when they're ready they'll be superstars.

Reactions: Aclone

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Catcher direction could impact what else we upgrade. Signing Contreras would be the easiest way to upgrade offense at some cost to defense. You could also trade for Sean Murphy, but that will cost a lot. Or another option would be Danny Jansen of the Blue Jays who would cost less and is likely going to be cast aside for a top prospect. Contreras will cost the most money and has the biggest questions around his defense for a full season (but likely would be fine to catch most days in the playoffs), Murphy the most prospects, and Jansen would mean you'd likely need another bat upgrade yet as he's more of a platoon catcher.

Another name that has had a few murmurs in relation to his team having an uber prospect coming behind him is Will Smith of the Dodgers. I wonder if there could be some interest from the Dodgers in Flaherty as a Cali kid. Would love to make that swap and then re-sign Quintana but it wouldn't be enough.

I'm good whatever direction they go if they get one of those 4 guys. I'd rather not sign Tucker Barnhart and say he and Knizner are enough.

• Informative

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Living in STL, sounds like some decent buzz around going after Christian Vazquez at catcher and trea turner at SS. Hope that second part means we finally cut ties with DeJong

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Living in STL, sounds like some decent buzz around going after Christian Vazquez at catcher and trea turner at SS. Hope that second part means we finally cut ties with DeJong
I think the the plan at shortstop may be Edman segueing to Masyn Winn.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019

Unfortunately this is probably the end for Danny Mac. This is his third time now and will get some jail time. Unfortunate but unacceptable. Hope he gets the help he needs.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Unfortunately this is probably the end for Danny Mac. This is his third time now and will get some jail time. Unfortunate but unacceptable. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Really hate to see this, I have always liked him the way he announced a game, but he was warned the last night, and this will end of his broadcasting career, at least with the Cardinals.

Man has a huge problem and hopefully after he gets out of jail, he can get into rehab, and actually give up drinking.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Really hate to see this, I have always liked him the way he announced a game, but he was warned the last night, and this will end of his broadcasting career, at least with the Cardinals.

Man has a huge problem and hopefully after he gets out of jail, he can get into rehab, and actually give up drinking.
This really sucks..I don’t get it! Take that back, I definitely get alcoholism, people much better than myself have struggled mightily with it. What I do not understand is how someone with that much money, living in a very urban area like the St. Louis area doesn’t just take a goddamn Uber or taxi?!

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
At the least, we got a good bat (catcher was largely a hole in the lineup last year) and we didn't have to give up Nootbar or anyone else other a draft pick.

• Agree

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
At the least, we got a good bat (catcher was largely a hole in the lineup last year) and we didn't have to give up Nootbar or anyone else other a draft pick.
Never paid much attention to Contreras. Looking at his stats, both recent and career—especially in Wrigley—I can’t claim to be enthralled.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I should add, I’m guessing this counts as the “big move” to add a bat to “fix” the offense, and it means that they’ll wait for Jordan Walker and Masyn Wynn to move up to fill RF and SS.

How much do you roll the dice on O’Neill?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Never paid much attention to Contreras. Looking at his stats, both recent and career—especially in Wrigley—I can’t claim to be enthralled.

He is a very solid add. And we all love Yadi but his batting has sucked for 3 plus years. Granted he isnt the catcher Yadi was or ever will be, its a good signing.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

As a Cubs fan I loved Willy's passion and energy and he has a cannon for an arm behind the plate and Cards fans will quickly love that about him too the first time he snaps a pickoff to 1B. The knock on him is he is not a great defensive catcher and doesn't handle a pitching staff well. Plus he always has had some kind of nagging injury going on lately too and the Cubs used him at DH a lot this year to try and keep him fresh. If you look at his splits he had 265 AB as a catcher and 149 as a DH this year in 113 games so about 36% of his AB came playing DH this season. Part of that was to keep him healthy enough to possibly trade but even after the trade deadline felt like they used Gomes a lot more a C than Contreras and Contreras missed most of September with another injury. He'd get hot early in the season and make you think he finally has broke out then cools off and you find he has some nagging injury or something affecting his offensive production.

Loved him with the Cubs but I don't know how much more you can "unlock" from his potential at this point heading into his 30's with some decent usage already behind the plate. The real test will be how does with the Cardinals pitching staff with him as the primary catcher as some think when the Cubs started to use him more as a DH with Gomes as the main catcher for a while last season that is when the Cubs pitching staff started to get hot. Going to pain me to see him in a Cardinals uniform regardless. Hendricks is the lone guy left from that 2016 WS team now which is crazy to imagine this is how that core group of guys wound up.

• Informative
Reactions: matclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron