MLB: ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Season Thread***

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Second game of the season and our #3 pitcher (once Flaherty is healthy) just threw a 41-pitch 1st inning. Cardinals are going to regret not adding another starting arm this offseason, or they’re gonna hurry along Liberatore.
That had much more to do with a tight zone and the pirates hitting it where the defense wasn’t. The rest of the game was fine.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This offense has a ton of weapons. I just hope our staff can figure it out. Im a little worried about Waino holding up over the long haul and Flaherty’s issue being more serious.

Also, I really hope they do a better job splitting time between Molina and Knizner this year. Yadi’s an all-timer and a huge competitor but Andrew’s physical abilities (particularly hitting) and development have to be a factor this year.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Rain out today pushed back the upcoming Jordan Hicks as starter/opener experiment. We will get Dakota Hudson on Tuesday, and then back to Waino on Wednedsay. (Wednesday is expected to be Wainwright vs. Greinke which should be fun.) The Athletic says Hicks is expected to start on Sunday now.

Also tomorrow KC is starting a lefty so Pujols should be in the lineup. Will be his first ABs against LHP of the season. Hope to see Albert knock a few more home runs at Busch for old time's sake.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Didn’t say he left here because of cancer, but he left her while she is fighting cancer. There is a fine line between the difference. I am sure she could use him at home.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Four games in and the offense is smoking hot while the pitching is a major major question mark. The first time through the rotation has been pretty awful:

Wainwright - 6.0 innings, 5 hits, 0 runs
Flaherty injured, return timetable is still TBD
Mikolas - 3.2 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs
Matz - 3.0 innings, 9 hits, 7 runs
Hudson - 4.0 innings, 5 hits, 3 runs

Only Wainwright gave a quality start, or even so much as threw a pitch in the 5th inning.

The calvary doesn't seem to be coming to help. Flaherty doesn't seem like he is coming back imminently. The best AAA option (Liberatore) has had two starts so far in Memphis this year, one meh and one miserable. Jordan Hicks will get the spot start on Saturday but it's a major question of if they can count on using him as a 3-inning opener while 3/4ths of the rest of the rotation is leaving more than half of games to be pitched by the bullpen as it is. The 28-man roster rule for April is going to be really useful for STL.

Mikolas/Matz/Hudson will get their second chances this week in Milwaukee so we'll see what happens there.

The bats really are scorching, though - Arenado looks like a legit MVP candidate, but it's early.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Terrible way to lose that game. Opportunity to beat the Mets with Scherzer on the mound and we implode in the 9th

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Awful. If Gellegos hustles to first this game is over and the Cardinals win. What a waste of a tremendous start by Mikolas.
I know we're rivals, but I feel your pain. We wasted an amazing pitching performance by Burnes tonight & choked in the 9th.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
I know we're rivals, but I feel your pain. We wasted an amazing pitching performance by Burnes tonight & choked in the 9th.
Brewers and Cards will be fine but you just look back at these games and say it was right there. Only get so many opportunities to win a game with Scherzer as an opponent.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Just a horrible loss last night, I missed most of the game, and tuned in at the start of the 9th. First batter for the Mets, flies out, they get a runner on, takes second with two outs and then it goes to crap. Would have been nice to steal that game against Scherzer, but its a long season and the Mets are playing well.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Just a horrible loss last night, I missed most of the game, and tuned in at the start of the 9th. First batter for the Mets, flies out, they get a runner on, takes second with two outs and then it goes to crap. Would have been nice to steal that game against Scherzer, but its a long season and the Mets are playing well.
I watched it until the 9th before putting the kids to bed. Checked my phone and saw they had 2 outs in the 9th.

15 minutes later I think “huh, I wonder why I haven’t seen the final game score alert?” Then check my phone…UGH

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I watched it until the 9th before putting the kids to bed. Checked my phone and saw they had 2 outs in the 9th.

15 minutes later I think “huh, I wonder why I haven’t seen the final game score alert?” Then check my phone…UGH
You were better off not watching it, only would have pissed you off like it did me. Tonight was not any better, get 3 hits and then hit a batter with the bases loaded to drive in a run in the 9th.

The sorry thing about it is the Cards will just not spend the money to go out and win by going after someone like Scherzer. I get he is signed a 2 year deal for $80 million, but add him to the top of the Cards rotation, and now everyone slides down a slot and you could win another World Series.

Don't give me that BS that they are not making money, far from it. The prices they are charging for tickets, concessions and T shirts, plus the money they are making at Ball Park Village, they are printing cash. It would be nice to see the team actually go out and spend some that money instead of just cashing the checks and making 100's of millions each year.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
You were better off not watching it, only would have pissed you off like it did me. Tonight was not any better, get 3 hits and then hit a batter with the bases loaded to drive in a run in the 9th.

The sorry thing about it is the Cards will just not spend the money to go out and win by going after someone like Scherzer. I get he is signed a 2 year deal for $80 million, but add him to the top of the Cards rotation, and now everyone slides down a slot and you could win another World Series.

Don't give me that BS that they are not making money, far from it. The prices they are charging for tickets, concessions and T shirts, plus the money they are making at Ball Park Village, they are printing cash. It would be nice to see the team actually go out and spend some that money instead of just cashing the checks and making 100's of millions each year.
The thing about spending 210 million dollars a year on a team doesn’t guarantee you a championship. Cards for a long time have been going by the philosophy that if you’re good enough to get in the playoffs you’re good enough to win 11 of a possible 19 games to win the World Series

Reactions: throwittoblythe

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The thing about spending 210 million dollars a year on a team doesn’t guarantee you a championship. Cards for a long time have been going by the philosophy that if you’re good enough to get in the playoffs you’re good enough to win 11 of a possible 19 games to win the World Series
Correct it does not guarantee you a championship, but greatly increases the odds that you will win one. Right now, the Cards are #12 in salary at $158 million, with the way they draw in fans, totally in the top three in all of baseball, they should be towards the top of the list not the bottom. The new stadium should be paid off by now or at least the principle should have greatly been paid down. We are not the Dodgers or Yankees, but we can do a lot better than 12th in payroll.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Correct it does not guarantee you a championship, but greatly increases the odds that you will win one. Right now, the Cards are #12 in salary at $158 million, with the way they draw in fans, totally in the top three in all of baseball, they should be towards the top of the list not the bottom. The new stadium should be paid off by now or at least the principle should have greatly been paid down. We are not the Dodgers or Yankees, but we can do a lot better than 12th in payroll.

Yeah I’d agree, I think we’re usually hovering around 10-8 in in payroll. If we want to keep Flaherty (I doubt we will) and and O’Neill, they will have an increase in payroll next year because of the money they will demand. Also Waino is great but he’s still making nearly 20 million a year. Hopefully if he still feels good to pitch another year, it’s not at that price tag and we can relocate those dollars

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Pretty apparent that the shortened spring training has caused the younger players to not get back up to the bat speed needed or quick reaction to the off speed stuff that major league pitching brings every day. Last year this team played better on the road than at home and kinda looking like a repeat. Are they not as focused when at home with too much outside of baseball going on while on the road they can concentrate on baseball?

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron