***Official 2022 Weather Thread***

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I live behind a small apartment complex, there is only an alley between us. Go out to push snow this afternoon and see that all of their snow is pushed into my yard. WTF. If we have a warm spring, there is going to be a **** ton of water in my basement.
yeah I would be having a discussion with that property owner

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I live behind a small apartment complex, there is only an alley between us. Go out to push snow this afternoon and see that all of their snow is pushed into my yard. WTF. If we have a warm spring, there is going to be a **** ton of water in my basement.
Might be tough to do in your case to save this spring, but when the opportunity presents....

Get a bunch of fill dirt and simply fill in and compact with your feet around your foundation so it slopes away from your house. This is the 'dirty' secret all those foundation/dry basement companies don't want you to know about. Wife's old house had a terrible problem with wet basements until I did this. Took a few truckloads of dirt, but now the basement has been bone dry ever since, where before it would flood a few times a year.

Don't worry about all the other stuff on here, the slope away from your house will almost certainly solve the problem.

Foundation_Drainage4-1-e1472177248720.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and cmjh10

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Correct. On Dec 8th 2009 a blizzard dumped almost 16 inches on Des Moines with wind chills in the 30 below range. That storm dumped it's heaviest in central and south central.

And a little over two weeks later on the 24-25th of December another storm hit Iowa with the heaviest this time in NW Iowa where Spencer received 2 feet of snow.
Wow. Mini-Buffalo! No fun.

Still, when compared to a place called Buffalo, just a little teaser!

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Wow. Mini-Buffalo! No fun.

Still, when compared to a place called Buffalo, just a little teaser!

Speaking of Buffalo.......saw where they received 43 inches from this latest storm. Which for Buffalo really isn't even close to a record coming off the lakes. What was different is that they received our blizzard type of winds with that.

For all practical purposes shut that city down. Which is an accomplishment considering they get so much snow every year. Must not get blizzard type winds very much.

And to think I thought 12-15 inches with wind was a mother load. Wow.....that's crazy.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I'd give the city a call. Generally illegal to do that. Usually sort of ignored for incidental over throw and such but if it's significant and they get away with it than it will just get worse.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Might be tough to do in your case to save this spring, but when the opportunity presents....

Get a bunch of fill dirt and simply fill in and compact with your feet around your foundation so it slopes away from your house. This is the 'dirty' secret all those foundation/dry basement companies don't want you to know about. Wife's old house had a terrible problem with wet basements until I did this. Took a few truckloads of dirt, but now the basement has been bone dry ever since, where before it would flood a few times a year.

Don't worry about all the other stuff on here, the slope away from your house will almost certainly solve the problem.

View attachment 107398

Well yes this is the optimal option but not practical for Joe blow. Just get dirt use a tamper and slope away from the house.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Well yes this is the optimal option but not practical for Joe blow. Just get dirt use a tamper and slope away from the house.
I did it with my Chevy Colorado, a spade shovel, and my boots. (Note I said to ignore the rest of that picture)

• Winner
Reactions: JSmoove

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Speaking of Buffalo.......saw where they received 43 inches from this latest storm. Which for Buffalo really isn't even close to a record coming off the lakes. What was different is that they received our blizzard type of winds with that.

For all practical purposes shut that city down. Which is an accomplishment considering they get so much snow every year. Must not get blizzard type winds very much.

And to think I thought 12-15 inches with wind was a mother load. Wow.....that's crazy.

They got over 60 inches just a few weeks ago, so an additional 43 would certainly fubar things.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So it sounds like the roads were terrible today. How were they later this afternoon and tonight. I’m driving from Waterloo to Des Moines in the morning.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
So it sounds like the roads were terrible today. How were they later this afternoon and tonight. I’m driving from Waterloo to Des Moines in the morning.
My drive into Cedar Falls was awful this morning. After work wasn't terrible

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Kind of wish I was at the coast.

Last edited: