***Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
OK, that went even farther beyond reality than I expected. Whoa.
I remember how ridiculous I thought the Alfonso Soriano contract was in 2006. That's only a $208M deal in todays money. This Ohtani number is like a $458M dollar deal for a baseball player back in 2006, which is nearly what the Dodgers were worth at the time ($482M).

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just my fight for why I want Bellinger - I would rather pay him $25 MM/year to mentor CF and 1B and occasionally play RF to cover Suzuki's poor defense than pay $18 MM/year for a 1B who hasn't played baseball in 18 months, has limited defense, and is similar to Wisdom offensively.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just my fight for why I want Bellinger - I would rather pay him $25 MM/year to mentor CF and 1B and occasionally play RF to cover Suzuki's poor defense than pay $18 MM/year for a 1B who hasn't played baseball in 18 months, has limited defense, and is similar to Wisdom offensively.
I'd do both, add a starter then wait till the deadline to decide what your future is at 3rd. Madrigal Morel Shaw??? Shaw may not be ready by then but you could likely get a rental without giving away the farm if needed.

I'm not opposed to dealing prospects but we need a long-term return when we do spend.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My moves if I'm Jed would be to shift focus on 2025 while building a playoff roster for 2024. Esesentially, just don't go over the $237 luxury tax this year with plans to blow it out of the water next year.

You still need 2 threatening bats. I don't know where they find them. My wish list:

- Trade for Bieber and Clase. Extend Bieber.
- Sign Imanaga
- Sign Bellinger
- Trade for Jorge Polanco to play 3B while we wait for Shaw. He has a team option the following year .

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hoskins is a significantly better bat than Wisdom, let’s be real.
He is more of a household name based on his first couple of years in the league. But I wouldn't argue he is significantly better. Since 2021, Wisdom hits homeruns at a higher rate, walks 1% less, and strikes out 12% more. Percentage wise, Wisdom has a higher rate of scoring runners in scoring position and a lower rate of grounding into double plays.

The one area Hoskins is much better at than Wisdom is getting on base and not striking out. Other than that, his numbers don't show he is a significantly better bat than Wisdom.

Would I take Hoskins over Wisdom? Definitely.

Would I take Hoskins for $15 MM more than Wisdom? Probably not.

Definitely not if I could get Bellinger for $8 MM more than Hoskins.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He is more of a household name based on his first couple of years in the league. But I wouldn't argue he is significantly better. Since 2021, Wisdom hits homeruns at a higher rate, walks 1% less, and strikes out 12% more. Percentage wise, Wisdom has a higher rate of scoring runners in scoring position and a lower rate of grounding into double plays.

The one area Hoskins is much better at than Wisdom is getting on base and not striking out. Other than that, his numbers don't show he is a significantly better bat than Wisdom.

Would I take Hoskins over Wisdom? Definitely.

Would I take Hoskins for $15 MM more than Wisdom? Probably not.

Definitely not if I could get Bellinger for $8 MM more than Hoskins.
They need 2 bats. Hoskins, Bellinger are our best FA fits.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Wondering why they didn’t make an attempt at keeping Candelario?