***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Here's what I've been thinking about today.
2025 outfield.
Obviously PCA will be in center.
Suzuki has to be on a corner
Tauchman should be #4 until someone like Caissie, Alcantara or Davis force the issue.

After that it comes down to two things.
Can the Cubs get a reasonable long-term deal with Bellinger after he opts out? Can't imagine our offense without him.

Happ, is the front office willing to sit him until he is willing to accept a trade?
Happ being the union rep really complicates that. He took a little less money in exchange for the NTC and I think the Cubs are more or less stuck playing him for the duration of this contract unless he absolutely falls off a cliff and his walk rate is always going to keep him playable.

I think they full on planned for this to be the last year of Bellinger and think they can replace his offense with an improved year two Busch and adding Shaw or Caissie as semi-regulars. PCA plays center, obviously, and then they'll rotate Suzuki/Happ/Caissie through the corners and DH.

If anybody is getting traded, it's Hoerner.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Happ being the union rep really complicates that. He took a little less money in exchange for the NTC and I think the Cubs are more or less stuck playing him for the duration of this contract unless he absolutely falls off a cliff and his walk rate is always going to keep him playable.

I think they full on planned for this to be the last year of Bellinger and think they can replace his offense with an improved year two Busch and adding Shaw or Caissie as semi-regulars. PCA plays center, obviously, and then they'll rotate Suzuki/Happ/Caissie through the corners and DH.

If anybody is getting traded, it's Hoerner.
If you don't play Happ I think he'll ask to go. He isn't a workable piece to our future.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
If you can't get rid of the Happs there's no room.for free agents.

Why would playing the best options affect free agency?
Its just a poor way to handle a veteran that has had 2 bad months. Especially one that's presumably well respected by his peers around the league. (Based on him being the player rep)

We don't have enough guys right now to be pushing out a guy who has averaged 2.5 WAR over the last 4 years. Is he perfect? No. But he's a fine player whos having a terrible stretch.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Its just a poor way to handle a veteran that has had 2 bad months. Especially one that's presumably well respected by his peers around the league. (Based on him being the player rep)

We don't have enough guys right now to be pushing out a guy who has averaged 2.5 WAR over the last 4 years. Is he perfect? No. But he's a fine player whos having a terrible stretch.
I think playing your 5th best outfielder is counterproductive.

• Dislike
Reactions: NoCreativity

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Wicks gets sent to Iowa when he's healthy again unless there is another injury in the rotation at that time. It's no fault of his now just bad timing. Someone has to stay stretched out in Iowa for emergency starts or a double header so unless they send Wesneski pr Brown back down Wicks probably will be that guy for now. Those 3 guys they need to figure out soon where their long term future is if that's starting or in relief because Steele, Shota, and Tailion have spots locked up and Assad is trending that way too. Hendricks won't be back next season I bet so either 1 of those guys earns the 5th spot or do they spend on a more proven starter.

Happ is going nowhere so you can come up with the wishful thinking they will magically be able to trade him but that is not gonna happen. The time to trade him was as the deadline 2 years ago before they gave him the extension with the NTC. My guess is they will let Bellinger walk if he opts out because they just have too many OF prospects being blocked and 1B seems to be solved for now with Busch too.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think Wicks gets sent to Iowa when he's healthy again unless there is another injury in the rotation at that time. It's no fault of his now just bad timing. Someone has to stay stretched out in Iowa for emergency starts or a double header so unless they send Wesneski pr Brown back down Wicks probably will be that guy for now. Those 3 guys they need to figure out soon where their long term future is if that's starting or in relief because Steele, Shota, and Tailion have spots locked up and Assad is trending that way too. Hendricks won't be back next season I bet so either 1 of those guys earns the 5th spot or do they spend on a more proven starter.

Happ is going nowhere so you can come up with the wishful thinking they will magically be able to trade him but that is not gonna happen. The time to trade him was as the deadline 2 years ago before they gave him the extension with the NTC. My guess is they will let Bellinger walk if he opts out because they just have too many OF prospects being blocked and 1B seems to be solved for now with Busch too.
Happ won't be a Cub in 25.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

Are we sure Busch solved the 1B? He's been mostly bad after a great start. I'm hoping it's not Wisdom all over again but I can’t say I'm sure Busch is locked in either

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Are we sure Busch solved the 1B? He's been mostly bad after a great start. I'm hoping it's not Wisdom all over again but I can’t say I'm sure Busch is locked in either
If it's not Busch, they'll move Caissie to first and be just fine. Probably where he needs to end up anyway.

Reactions: GoHawks

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Sports is a what have you done for me lately entity. So 2024 is all that matters. The last 4 years is not relevant, just ask Bryant or Baez.

The Cubs will treat Happ fairly. But when the point comes that Happ is the 4th best outfield option, I feel they will mutually agree to pursue a trade. But we are getting ahead of ourselves until some OF prospects other than PCA show they belong in Chicago.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Sports is a what have you done for me lately entity. So 2024 is all that matters. The last 4 years is not relevant, just ask Bryant or Baez.

The Cubs will treat Happ fairly. But when the point comes that Happ is the 4th best outfield option, I feel they will mutually agree to pursue a trade. But we are getting ahead of ourselves until some OF prospects other than PCA show they belong in Chicago.
Tauchman, Crow-Armstrong, Bellinger, Suzuki. Tell me who you'd sit for Happ?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Tauchman, Crow-Armstrong, Bellinger, Suzuki. Tell me who you'd sit for Happ?
Yea, if all those guys are Cubs in 2025, then Happ will be shopped this off season. But Tauchman probably has more trade value.

In 2024, it's possible the Cubs explore interest for Happ before the deadline. Just a matter of how much Bellinger plays 1B.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yea, if all those guys are Cubs in 2025, then Happ will be shopped this off season. But Tauchman probably has more trade value.

In 2024, it's possible the Cubs explore interest for Happ before the deadline. Just a matter of how much Bellinger plays 1B.
Happ's a gold glover. He has some value. Tauchman is a cheap option through 26. Why would you trade him? He's insurance until another prospect pops.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Happ's a gold glover. He has some value. Tauchman is a cheap option through 26. Why would you trade him? He's insurance until another prospect pops.
I would trade Tauchman if I can't trade Happ. But trading either is contingent on:
  1. Bellinger coming back in 2025 or
  2. A Cubs MiLB OF prospect is ready out of spring training or
  3. The Cubs adding a FA OF this off-season.
IMO Happ is a streaky, very average hitter. And IMO his defense is overrated (golden glove is for arm vs. glove/range). But, currently the Cubs have a lot of gaps in their lineup. I'd feel a lot better if a couple guys among PCA, Busch, Morel and Amaya showed they are long-term solutions over the next 4.5 months.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I would trade Tauchman if I can't trade Happ. But trading either is contingent on:
  1. Bellinger coming back in 2025 or
  2. A Cubs MiLB OF prospect is ready out of spring training or
  3. The Cubs adding a FA OF this off-season.
IMO Happ is a streaky, very average hitter. And IMO his defense is overrated (golden glove is for arm vs. glove/range). But, currently the Cubs have a lot of gaps in their lineup. I'd feel a lot better if a couple guys among PCA, Busch, Morel and Amaya showed they are long-term solutions over the next 4.5 months.
Amaya is probably not our long-term catcher. Good receiver, never throws anyone out, doesn't hit

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Tauchman is our best hitter. Dumb to trade him.
If Tauchman is the Cubs best hitter, the Cubs are in trouble. He's a solid lead-off guy because he walks a lot. Over his 2 years as a Cub he is a .256 hitter. And he'll be 34 late this year.

I like Tauchman, but is he good enough for the Cubs not to resign Bellinger? Sign another big FA after the season? Or be an impediment to a prospect being the Cubs 4th outfielder?

Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If Tauchman is the Cubs best hitter, the Cubs are in trouble. He's a solid lead-off guy because he walks a lot. Over his 2 years as a Cub he is a .256 hitter. And he'll be 34 late this year.

I like Tauchman, but is he good enough for the Cubs not to resign Bellinger? Sign another big FA after the season? Or be an impediment to a prospect being the Cubs 4th outfielder?
CC said Tauchman has been our best hitter. OBP +.390. Not his fault the rest of the lineup hasn't produced.