***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
Would love to see him up but not sure where he will ever fit. My guess is we’ll let him rot in AAA a la Mervis and Canario and let their value drop before realizing we should’ve moved them at their peak.

I do think Vazquez should be our #2 everywhere infielder, FWIW. Nick Madrigals sole role should be pinch hitting with a runner in scoring position.
Madrigals sole role should be 3rd base in Des Moines. I understand why Vasquez hasn't been up yet as he really just broke out with the bat last year. That being said, he should take Madrigals spot at this point.

I don't think Mervis and Canario ever had much trade value, especially Mervis. Canario probably had some but when were you going to deal him? He broke out and then got injured at his "peak".

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's definitely a better hitter then Madrigal.

Shaw. Vasquez, Caissie then all are beating at the door.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Madrigals sole role should be 3rd base in Des Moines. I understand why Vasquez hasn't been up yet as he really just broke out with the bat last year. That being said, he should take Madrigals spot at this point.

I don't think Mervis and Canario ever had much trade value, especially Mervis. Canario probably had some but when were you going to deal him? He broke out and then got injured at his "peak".
I hope Suzuki is a cub for life, but they need to stop handing out no trade clauses. (Happ)

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
I hope Suzuki is a cub for life, but they need to stop handing out no trade clauses. (Happ)
Yeah that's not looking great, although its fine if you get his production from the last few years. I'm pro Happ and don't mind the 3/60 or whatever it was, but the no trade stings.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah that's not looking great, although its fine if you get his production from the last few years. I'm pro Happ and don't mind the 3/60 or whatever it was, but the no trade stings.
Caissie
Alcantara
Both those guys are legit.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
Caissie
Alcantara
Both those guys are legit.
Love them both, but Alcantara is still a little ways away at least and I'm not convinced yet that Caissie can handle the OF. Plus he's stills striking out a ton at AAA. Maybe by next year we have some overcrowding, but that will be a good problem to have.

Caissie hit a laser HR today though.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Love them both, but Alcantara is still a little ways away at least and I'm not convinced yet that Caissie can handle the OF. Plus he's stills striking out a ton at AAA. Maybe by next year we have some overcrowding, but that will be a good problem to have.

Caissie hit a laser HR today though.
He's hitting 300 with 400 OBP. He's definitely a better OF than Canario.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
He's hitting 300 with 400 OBP. He's definitely a better OF than Canario.
There is no way he's a better defensive OF than Canario.

Again, I love Caissie and he may be up this year. I'm also not convinced he's going to be better than Happ right away. Maybe before Happs contract is up, and that would be awesome.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Again, I love Caissie and he may be up this year. I'm also not convinced he's going to be better than Happ right away. Maybe before Happs contract is up, and that would be awesome.
Appears we are at an impasse.

whatthewhat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2019

Caissie is always going to strike out a bunch, but the fact that he turns just 22 in July can't be overstated. He is a year or two younger than the league. His numbers, so far, in AAA are pretty impressive.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Oh look another easy hop Busch didn't come up with.
Only way he gets better is to play through his inexperience at 1B. Same as Morel at 3B. Overall, our defense hasn't been great in 2024.

Even if Morel didn't bounce the throw, not sure it's an out. No run, no hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Lol, I love how some posters have what feel like split personalities here sometimes. A month into his career with the Cubs and Busch already is not a piece for next season yet other days when he was on his HR tear didn't hear this. Waiting for Wisdom to go on his 2 week tear at some point and hear how he should be playing more then when he comes back down to earth he's a bum again. Haven't heard anyone clamoring lately about how terrible Taillon is after his start to the season so far. Last year when Suzuki was off to a slow start and some were ready to give up on him and now some think he's the best player on the roster. Last year Hoerner was an untouchable on the roster, he gets off to a slow start to the season and some wonder if we should eventually trade him.

So fun to see the roller coaster of opinions here at a given moment. It's a long season, I'm optimistic that the Cubs are at a similar point with the roster as they were in 2015 when the pieces were starting to come together and just need to give it some time to figure out what we have before making bolder moves in trades and free agency to fill in the missing pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Only way he gets better is to play through his inexperience at 1B. Same as Morel at 3B. Overall, our defense hasn't been great in 2024.

Even if Morel didn't bounce the throw, not sure it's an out. No run, no hurt.
3 of 4 of Swanson's errors are throwing. That wasn't the case last year. The defense is poor this year in large part to him.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Why does Wisdom ever play first base? He sucks and cost us several games last year and the game last night.

• Agree

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
3 of 4 of Swanson's errors are throwing. That wasn't the case last year. The defense is poor this year in large part to him.
Not disputing that he's even an average fielding 1B. But he has shown enough ability with the bat that the Cubs needs to give him a chance to improve. Same with Morel.

What if your boy Alonso was benched based on his early career defensive woes? If both Morel and Busch are still having fielding issues in September, then it's time to worry. From a W/L % in 2024, I'm more worried about our lack of hitting/slug over the first month than our pitching or defense.

• Agree

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not disputing that he's even an average fielding 1B. But he has shown enough ability with the bat that the Cubs needs to give him a chance to improve. Same with Morel.

What if your boy Alonso was benched based on his early career defensive woes? If both Morel and Busch are still having fielding issues in September, then it's time to worry. From a W/L % in 2024, I'm more worried about our lack of hitting/slug over the first month than our pitching or defense.
Put a guy that hits 40 dingers in the heart of the order and everyone in the lineup benefits.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Put a guy that hits 40 dingers in the heart of the order and everyone in the lineup benefits.
No doubt.

Busch leads the Cubs in HR's for the first month and is on 30HR pace. Do I think he will get to 30 in 2024? No. But in this era, I'll take a .266 hitter and 20-25 HR run at 1B for a rookie. His fielding should get better.

Just so we're clear:
  1. You're going to complain if guys like Velazquez, Mervis, PCA, Canario, Busch, etc. don't get a fair chance to prove themselves at the Major League level.
  2. AND when they do get some run and make mistakes, time to move on if they don't play like Alonso, Soto, etc. ?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron