***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
No doubt.

Busch leads the Cubs in HR's for the first month and is on 30HR pace. Do I think he will get to 30 in 2024? No. But in this era, I'll take a .266 hitter and 20-25 HR run at 1B for a rookie. His fielding should get better.

Just so we're clear:
  1. You're going to complain if guys like Velazquez, Mervis, PCA, Canario, Busch, etc. don't get a fair chance to prove themselves at the Major League level.
  2. AND when they do get some run and make mistakes, time to move on if they don't play like Alonso, Soto, etc. ?
Just to be clear I have an issue with guys playing firstbase that can't field throws. It's the equivalent of throwing away all his offensive production.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
Caissie is always going to strike out a bunch, but the fact that he turns just 22 in July can't be overstated. He is a year or two younger than the league. His numbers, so far, in AAA are pretty impressive.
I don’t disagree with any of this. As I’ve said, I love Owen as a prospect.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Someone smarter than me needs to explain why you don't load bases to set up the double play there. Doesn't matter. A win is a win. Great relay play.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Cubs announcers made a good point on that....as do you trust Neris' command enough with the bases loaded not to walk a guy in? He walks a lot of guys.
Yea, Neris is a tough one. Coming into the game he's pitched 10 innings. The plus, he's had 10 SO's. The minus he's had 11 walks!!

Feel Counsell was playing the odds a bit. Play infield back and hope for a SO or hard hit grounder (runner on 3rd stays or runner gets thrown out at plate) to get the 2nd out.

Also, I feel the new extra inning rule is just random on who wins. In this game, both teams would mainly have had bottom of lineup up in 10th (Hoerner would have batted 3rd). So Counsell was probably not willing to lose game on a Mets base hit, but OK with extra innings with Mets hit.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
He was basically throwing like early spring training. Just pounded the zone. Multiple hits on 0-2 counts. FB was <90 most of the outing.
I was there and can confirm. Most fastballs were 88/89 and in the zone and as a result he gave up a lot of hits. I read the exit velo was low on the hits but he was just peppering the zone which seemed to be the plan. We'll see if he gets one more in Iowa or not.

Reactions: RivClone23

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Why does Wisdom ever play first base? He sucks and cost us several games last year and the game last night.
the error was on swanson;s throw but hey complain about the guy who could not field it. and yes wisdom cost the game by giving up a 3 run homer.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It’s always fascinated me here and on social media that people can get upset with first basemen who aren’t scooping up 80+mph throws spiked in the dirt at them while they require their foot be planted in a spot.

If a first baseman makes a scoop for an out, that’s a benefit. He’s saving the clown who can’t throw the ball across the diamond from getting an error. It’s hard for me to ever place blame on a guy who had zero control on where the throw was going

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Lost in all this is how good Shota Imanaga has been. 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA now and Cubs have won all 6 games he's started. He's fsr exceeded expectations so far, hope the trend continues and he and Steele become a tough top end of the rotation duo.

Reactions: LSGOST8

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
It’s always fascinated me here and on social media that people can get upset with first basemen who aren’t scooping up 80+mph throws spiked in the dirt at them while they require their foot be planted in a spot.

If a first baseman makes a scoop for an out, that’s a benefit. He’s saving the clown who can’t throw the ball across the diamond from getting an error. It’s hard for me to ever place blame on a guy who had zero control on where the throw was going

I'm not a baseball mind by any means, but man Rizzo seemed to bail so many infielders out.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines

It can be both. Not all scoops are created equal. Any short hop should definitely be caught by a professional baseball player. Doesn’t mean it’s still not a bad throw.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

I'm not a baseball mind by any means, but man Rizzo seemed to bail so many infielders out.
Yeah I watch a disgusting amount of Cubs games but don’t watch a ton of MLB outside of that. After watching Rizzo for 10 years, I just assumed picking a ball at first was just really easy for MLB first basemen. Have learned in the post Rizzo era that is most definitely not the case lol