***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Put a big old fork in Hendricks, he's done. Enough.
It's a tough watch for a guy who has been solid for a long time.

They might, might be able to start him 1 more time & see if something clicks. But the Cubs are reeling right now and giving him a start becomes more difficult.

The best thing would be for Hendricks to say he's given it his all, just doesn't have it and is going to retire.

Maybe the reality is throw him in the bullpen and see if he can be effective getting 3-6 outs. Put him on the Smyly program.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
It's a tough watch for a guy who has been solid for a long time.

They might, might be able to start him 1 more time & see if something clicks. But the Cubs are reeling right now and giving him a start becomes more difficult.

The best thing would be for Hendricks to say he's given it his all, just doesn't have it and is going to retire.

Maybe the reality is throw him in the bullpen and see if he can be effective getting 3-6 outs. Put him on the Smyly program.
That should be the plan. Put him in the bullpen as a mop-up man/long reliever for the next 6 weeks until he gets his 10 years in, and then pull the plug. You absolutely CANNOT start him another ballgame.

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Where is he going to play unless PCA goes back to Iowa or there is an injury in the OF. Already have 5 OF on the roster as it is.
He has 5 HR in 6 games and appears to be healthy. The OF situation is just getting more and more crowded.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Left field
Tell me how are they going to manage playing time assuming you DH an OF every game then. Canario could barely buy AB his 1st 2 stints and he was hitting well last fall when he got his 1st call up. Happ, Bellinger, Suzuki, Tauchman, PCA and you want to add Davis to that mix. Just where are the AB coming from? Suzuki probably the worst defensively out of that group and he's not terrible, the rest are either gold glove or above average so they'll still get AB cuz you have to have them in there regularly. And don't say sit or trade Happ as we all know that is not happening. Given how they seem to use the DH to give regulars an easier day of you go 5 OF then those DH days turn into days out of the lineup entirely now for any non-OF.

In past years bringing Davis up soon probably would happen but now we have a logjam in the OF after we brought back Belli and Tauchman and called up PCA too. Happ and Suzuki aren't going to sit nor get traded to clear a regular spot either. It's a mess but a good one to have I guess as not long ago we had no OF depth at all in the system.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Tell me how are they going to manage playing time assuming you DH an OF every game then. Canario could barely buy AB his 1st 2 stints and he was hitting well last fall when he got his 1st call up. Happ, Bellinger, Suzuki, Tauchman, PCA and you want to add Davis to that mix. Just where are the AB coming from? Suzuki probably the worst defensively out of that group and he's not terrible, the rest are either gold glove or above average so they'll still get AB cuz you have to have them in there regularly. And don't say sit or trade Happ as we all know that is not happening. Given how they seem to use the DH to give regulars an easier day of you go 5 OF then those DH days turn into days out of the lineup entirely now for any non-OF.

In past years bringing Davis up soon probably would happen but now we have a logjam in the OF after we brought back Belli and Tauchman and called up PCA too. Happ and Suzuki aren't going to sit nor get traded to clear a regular spot either. It's a mess but a good one to have I guess as not long ago we had no OF depth at all in the system.
Don't play Happ.

650 OPS, Who else you gonna sit?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Don't play Happ.
This ain't like playing a video game where if you no longer don't like a player you just sit or dump him. Happ is in a slump and I get it he's never been my favorite player either as they have missed the boat multiple times over the years to trade him when he was hot. But they are going to let him play through this I'm sure and hope he breaks out of it sooner than later. Too good of a glove is paid too much and also being the team rep to the players union complicates things too.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This ain't like playing a video game where if you no longer don't like a player you just sit or dump him. Happ is in a slump and I get it he's never been my favorite player either as they have missed the boat multiple times over the years to trade him when he was hot. But they are going to let him play through this I'm sure and hope he breaks out of it sooner than later. Too good of a glove is paid too much and also being the team rep to the players union complicates things too.
End of the day you gotta play the guys that give you the best chance to win. Otherwise you're screwing the other 25 guys. Happ has been below par now for multiple years. If we do bring in a bat where would you play them?

• Dumb
Reactions: NoCreativity

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I wouldn’t have hated the Happ contract if we didn’t have Caissie, Davis, and PCA all banging at the door for an opportunity while he’s playing like he is.

Current makeup of the franchise says that Davis is gonna have to be traded or wasted in Iowa, unfortunately

StormWarning11

Dec 21, 2022
With the abundance of riches we have in the outfield right now, I imagine the plan is to probably let some of those prospects stay down in the minors and heat up/stay hot before the trade deadline. They are some of our best trade pieces if we are going to make any bigger moves this year. We've got to stay competitive until then of course to make a trade worthwhile though. It's nice to see Brennan Davis raking right now but do see him cracking into this lineup or a part of our long term goals?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
With the abundance of riches we have in the outfield right now, I imagine the plan is to probably let some of those prospects stay down in the minors and heat up/stay hot before the trade deadline. They are some of our best trade pieces if we are going to make any bigger moves this year. We've got to stay competitive until then of course to make a trade worthwhile though. It's nice to see Brennan Davis raking right now but do see him cracking into this lineup or a part of our long term goals?
He's had a lot of issues staying healthy too, he should have been up long before now and was once the top prospect in the organization. He's still pretty young but he may be a guy you trade while he's hot instead of holding onto and he gets bit once again by the injury but. I'm not rooting against the kid but right now you have to assume PCA is going to be a regular in the OF and Happ and Suzuki both have no trade clauses so he would have to absolutely mash right away when called up to the point you can't sit him and given there are already 5 OF on the roster where are his AB going to come from to get that kind of runway.

Canario will likely get on a hot streak at Iowa too,.he's done it more than once already and he never has gotten runway in Chicago even when hes hit in the few chances he's had. PCA is getting some runway because of his elite glove. One or both of them are probably getting traded at some point as Caissie and Alcantara are also in the pipeline for the OF too.

• Agree
Reactions: StormWarning11