***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Not underestimating BRE he was an efficient center from what I have seen from Jackson I believe that he can provide similar production day 1 and is likely to be a more consistent offensive threat. I agree that is a projection but the staff prioritizing getting Jackson right away gives me a lot of confidence in the addition.

Heise and Chattfeld weren't move the needle additions but are upgrades at the 8&10 spots over Pav and as a true back up PF/C with Chatfeld being 6'10". Those two adds may not seem big now but does allow to rest some of the starters longer to limit exhaustion and get solid minutes if there are foul issues.
You're greatly underestimating Heise. He's going to play a bunch and he brings the rebounding from the wing that this team really lacked at times last year. He's a guy that just does everything well but you don't notice him and look up at the end of the game and he's got 15/6/5. He's exactly what this roster needed as a spot starter/first guy off the bench.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Agree, this is starting to look like a Prohm April, we all talk about which 4 of the top 5 transfers we get then it's Jeff Beverly and Hans Brase when reality hits.

As of right now our frontcourt is at net loss so I don't see how our ceiling is any higher unless Jackson develops into a solid Big 12 big.

This kind of reminds me of Iowa in a way with Clark. We have a top 5 potential team and nobody wants to come here to win a national championship. They'd rather go to Louisville and USC to get paid instead of winning.
You should definitely meltdown and panic and decide that TJ is the same as Prohm. Well done.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ok, but you just put an under bet on something that doesn't list an over/under. What it were 0.01? I'd advise you to not start gambling
His point was that he would still take the under because there will be ZERO minutes with Chatfield and Jackson on the floor at the same time next year. Coincidentally that's the same number of minutes that Ward and BRE spent on the floor together last year

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Isn't weird we don't hear about JC players anymore? When was the last time ISU has associated itself with one?
Not straight from juco, but Jones was at Indian Hills before Buffalo, and Hadley was at Indian Hills before Colorado. As far as straight from juco, Donovan Jackson would be the last one, I believe.

I think in the age of immediate transfer eligibility from the D1 level, there's less benefit to them overall for both the players and D1 programs (except if there are academic qualifying issues or if a player develops a ton like Jones did).

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Not underestimating BRE he was an efficient center from what I have seen from Jackson I believe that he can provide similar production day 1 and is likely to be a more consistent offensive threat. I agree that is a projection but the staff prioritizing getting Jackson right away gives me a lot of confidence in the addition.

Heise and Chattfeld weren't move the needle additions but are upgrades at the 8&10 spots over Pav and as a true back up PF/C with Chatfeld being 6'10". Those two adds may not seem big now but does allow to rest some of the starters longer to limit exhaustion and get solid minutes if there are foul issues.

You're greatly underestimating Heise. I don't know if it's people's distaste for UNI or what but that addition is really getting over looked. He is going to be more than an end of the rotation guy this year and will probably start in 2025-2026.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
You're greatly underestimating Heise. He's going to play a bunch and he brings the rebounding from the wing that this team really lacked at times last year. He's a guy that just does everything well but you don't notice him and look up at the end of the game and he's got 15/6/5. He's exactly what this roster needed as a spot starter/first guy off the bench.

This is spot on

IMG_8817.jpeg

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Not straight from juco, but Jones was at Indian Hills before Buffalo, and Hadley was at Indian Hills before Colorado. As far as straight from juco, Donovan Jackson would be the last one, I believe.

I think in the age of immediate transfer eligibility from the D1 level, there's less benefit to them overall for both the players and D1 programs (except if there are academic qualifying issues or if a player develops a ton like Jones did).
we allegedly offered this kid back in sept

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
What? I loved what BRE gave ISU but he was limited Jackson is already an upgrade at Center. ISU doesn't have the athleticism of Ward right now but he only played 17 minutes per game not unreplaceable. TJ has Rock who has NBA potential and Chattfeld to absorb those minutes behind Jackson until he's ready.

I assume the concern is at PF today, but we have Jefferson in town THIS weekend and would be an ideal fit as an Ejim/Hogue PF to slot next to Jefferson which is an upgrade over King. If Jefferson doesn't commit then the staff has the NIL that was for Hadley and Jefferson to go after Kyle or another Post. either way that is an upgrade. That doesn't even factor the staff potentially bulking up Watson and Milian over the summer and playing them at PF.

Anyone getting negative on ISU roster needs to take a step back and look at Wisconsin losing their top 2 players yesterday off a NCAA tourney team. ISU is in a great position as a top 5 team looking to fill one last spot with the ideal fit. Relax TJ has got this.
Wisc situation is bad. But it could happen anywhere. Let’s hope not us. Portal is still open for another 1.5 weeks

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
We can agree to disagree. I love Milan. Right now he is not a 4. I also think we will get a guy, who, in my opinion will start allowing MM to play his more natural position as a 3. I see Jones in the same role as this year / with situational small ball starts. Milan needs strength and must work on his rebounding. Data below / better than I thought.

Correction:
Rebounds for season
King - 197, 861 minutes played
Lipsey - 166, 1128 minutes played
Gilbert - 161, 1146 minutes played
BRE - 154, 834 minutes played
MM. - 116, 1118 minutes played
C. jones - 109, 997 minutes played
Ward - 107, 443minutes played
Watson -65, 332 minutes played
We can win games with existing guys playing 4. But not against really good teams. Not big enough and not mature enough. To advance farther in dance than this year we need 4 and 5 men who get points for us against other good bigs

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
You're greatly underestimating Heise. I don't know if it's people's distaste for UNI or what but that addition is really getting over looked. He is going to be more than an end of the rotation guy this year and will probably start in 2025-2026.
To be clear my expectations are due to the next years roster. Heise has the talent to contribute to ISU and bigger improved role than Pav had last year. I just not sure how many minutes he'll be asked to play with Lipsy, Gilbert, Cujo and Milan Playing the 1-3 positions

Reactions: NoCreativity

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Agree, this is starting to look like a Prohm April, we all talk about which 4 of the top 5 transfers we get then it's Jeff Beverly and Hans Brase when reality hits.

As of right now our frontcourt is at net loss so I don't see how our ceiling is any higher unless Jackson develops into a solid Big 12 big.

This kind of reminds me of Iowa in a way with Clark. We have a top 5 potential team and nobody wants to come here to win a national championship. They'd rather go to Louisville and USC to get paid instead of winning.
Right now, Otz got commits from 3 of the 4 guys that he zeroed in on (Jackson, Heise, and Chatfield, with the fourth being Hadley), and Iowa State is still in play for the other two (Jefferson and Kyle). If either Jefferson or Kyle comes to Ames, I think that offseason grades out to an A- at least, maybe an A. If both come to Ames or one comes and the final spot gets filled with someone else who fits, then we're talking A/A+.

Obviously we won't fully know how things compare until guys hit the court (especially defensively), but I'm confident that the frontcourt group will give more offensively versatility next year than we've had in the Otz era. I'd also note that the closest thing to a "miss" Otz has had on transfers that have come to Ames have been Jeremiah Williams (only because of injury/gambling), Enaruna (who still wasn't a bad player), and Pav (who just got beat out by guys better than him). This staff has proven to be good at evaluating guys and finding guys who fit with what they want to do. There's no reason not to trust them.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Right now, Otz got commits from 3 of the 4 guys that he zeroed in on (Jackson, Heise, and Chatfield, with the fourth being Hadley), and Iowa State is still in play for the other two (Jefferson and Kyle). If either Jefferson or Kyle comes to Ames, I think that offseason grades out to an A- at least, maybe an A. If both come to Ames or one comes and the final spot gets filled with someone else who fits, then we're talking A/A+.

Obviously we won't fully know how things compare until guys hit the court (especially defensively), but I'm confident that the frontcourt group will give more offensively versatility next year than we've had in the Otz era. I'd also note that the closest thing to a "miss" Otz has had on transfers that have come to Ames have been Jeremiah Williams (only because of injury/gambling), Enaruna (who still wasn't a bad player), and Pav (who just got beat out by guys better than him). This staff has proven to be good at evaluating guys and finding guys who fit with what they want to do. There's no reason not to trust them.
I think Kyle cancelled his visit this weekend according to some previous posts. With the way Kyle and Hadley have worked out I'm very skeptical about Jefferson at this point also. I either think we can't afford them or they want more PT than TJ can offer.

IMO any of those 3 would put us from probably an Elite 8 ceiling again to a potential national title contender. If we don't get any of them then we will have to count on Jackson to be a stud.

I could be way off on Heise and Chatfield also, but I feel like they were just added as depth and won't really have any effect on how good we can be next year.

I'm just worried about getting destroyed in the paint if we are running 3 guards and Milan out there at all times.

CliveClone17

Feb 24, 2015
I also think people are sleeping on the improvement/potential improvement of our returning players. Curtis Jones was playing like a 1st team all-conference player the last couple months of the year. Gilbert, Lipsey, and MM can all get better/stronger in the off-season.