***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

TheDudeAbides

Jul 28, 2015
We're going to get another 4, but playing along, in that scenario, I think Milan moves to the 4, Watson backs him up, Curtis starts and Heise is our instant firepower off the bench (with Rock & Chatfield also coming off the bench), and Milan might also spend some time at the 3.
I'm not sure that is much of an improvement on last year's front court though. I'm sure he'll get stronger this offseason, but Milan will continue to struggle to rebound and defend at the 4 - just not sure that's his game at this level. Probably more of a wing, which is totally fine - he's great.

Jackson should be a good replacement for Rob, but after that it looks pretty bleak in the post. Outside of an offensive boost, the biggest need was to add rebounding ability. Really needed a tenacious rebounder like Kyle. Counting on Rock and Chatfield for that role seems dicey at best. Hoping to eat my words there.

Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise to get Jefferson instead of Kyle as it seems Jefferson may be able to step out a bit more than Kyle in the midrange + better ball handling, but I think our rebounding issue against high level teams will still be a concern.

Update...just checked the advanced metrics on them both, and although Kyle has a better offensive rebounding %, Jefferson actually has a slight edge in total rebounding %. Jefferson probably playing in a better league as well in the WCC vs the Summit. Who knows..I just really liked Kyle's rim protecting ability. In TJ we trust I suppose.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We return the core of one of a top 10 team and we have multiple people in multiple threads already giving up on next year. That's crazy even for CF.
I think we are going to be very good.
Frankly, I am hoping final 4 good. I do not think that is impossible. I think either Kyle or Jefferson get us there.
More positional size, great guard court, even better Milan. The portal bigs must come through with interior defense, rim protection, rebounding and the ability to score at the rim. The King, Ward and BRE replacements need to collectively give us 10-15 points imho. TJ will figure out rotations - might take a while like this year. I am super excited for next year.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not sure that is much of an improvement on last year's front court though. I'm sure he'll get stronger this offseason, but Milan will continue to struggle to rebound and defend at the 4 - just not sure that's his game at this level. Probably more of a wing, which is totally fine - he's great.

Jackson should be a good replacement for Rob, but after that it looks pretty bleak in the post. Outside of an offensive boost, the biggest need was to add rebounding ability. Really needed a tenacious rebounder like Kyle. Counting on Rock and Chatfield for that role seems dicey at best. Hoping to eat my words there.

Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise to get Jefferson instead of Kyle as it seems Jefferson may be able to step out a bit more than Kyle in the midrange + better ball handling, but I think our rebounding issue against high level teams will still be a concern.

Update...just checked the advanced metrics on them both, and although Kyle has a better offensive rebounding %, Jefferson actually has a slight edge in total rebounding %. Jefferson probably playing in a better league as well in the WCC vs the Summit. Who knows..I just really liked Kyle's rim protecting ability. In TJ we trust I suppose.
Totally agree with one exception. I think our dept at center is good / or at least acceptable. Practice wise Rock is a sophomore, and Chatfield is old with lots of experience. Between them I think they will get the job done.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

TheDudeAbides

Jul 28, 2015
You’re right. He shot 56% last year, slightly better than Rob Jones’ 51%, but slightly worse than Ward’s 58%
OP was likely referring to Kyle's horrid FT shooting form we all witnessed during the tourney game. Good lawd. Honestly impressive he was able to hit 56% with that shotput approach.

My wife and I audibly gasped/laughed in shock in the arena when we saw his first attempt. Hopefully a coach works on that wherever his next stop is.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think Kyle cancelled his visit this weekend according to some previous posts. With the way Kyle and Hadley have worked out I'm very skeptical about Jefferson at this point also. I either think we can't afford them or they want more PT than TJ can offer.

IMO any of those 3 would put us from probably an Elite 8 ceiling again to a potential national title contender. If we don't get any of them then we will have to count on Jackson to be a stud.

I could be way off on Heise and Chatfield also, but I feel like they were just added as depth and won't really have any effect on how good we can be next year.

I'm just worried about getting destroyed in the paint if we are running 3 guards and Milan out there at all times.
He reportedly cancelled his visit but also said he'd reschedule. Maybe that means we're out in his recruitment, but it doesn't completely mean that. I think as opposed to some people who count the chickens before they hatch, you're counting the chickens as never going to hatch just because they haven't hatched yet. Just stay calm and it'll all work out.

From your post, I understand that you view the team as already having the ability to make the Elite 8, and that's with you being relatively low on Jackson. That's still a very good team that it's okay to be excited about.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

TheDudeAbides

Jul 28, 2015
He reportedly cancelled his visit but also said he'd reschedule. Maybe that means we're out in his recruitment, but it doesn't completely mean that. I think as opposed to some people who count the chickens before they hatch, you're counting the chickens as never going to hatch just because they haven't hatched yet. Just stay calm and it'll all work out.

From your post, I understand that you view the team as already having the ability to make the Elite 8, and that's with you being relatively low on Jackson. That's still a very good team that it's okay to be excited about.
From what I've gathered during the portal era, a cancelled visit to reschedule is a nice way to say you're off the list. The portaling equivalent to "I'm so sorry - it's me, not you" in the dating world.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

I'd say he crossed us off the list.

And yes, I think we'll be very good again next year, but yo truly have that dream season of a Final 4 run or even a national title we need to get a little better inside.

BRE, Ward, and Tre were not only very good last year, but extremely large basketball players also. I don't think we are there yet in the frontcourt unless Jackson and Rock are really good.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We return the core of a top 10 team and we have multiple people in multiple threads already giving up on next year. That's crazy even for CF.
We're being projected by nearly every outlet to be preseason top 10. That doesn't mean anything as far as how we'll do at the end of the season, but obviously the national media is high on us next year and that's before we've even rounded out our full roster.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
From what I've gathered during the portal era, a cancelled visit to reschedule is a nice way to say you're off the list. The portaling equivalent to "I'm so sorry - it's me, not you" in the dating world.
I'd say he crossed us off the list.
He very well might have. But I think generally no one really knows what's going on in Kyle's recruitment. There was a day a week or two ago where everyone was saying that he was a lock to Wake Forest, and clearly that wasn't entirely true.

And yes, I think we'll be very good again next year, but yo truly have that dream season of a Final 4 run or even a national title we need to get a little better inside.

BRE, Ward, and Tre were not only very good last year, but extremely large basketball players also. I don't think we are there yet in the frontcourt unless Jackson and Rock are really good.
Just going back to your first post, it describe this offseason as a "Prohm April" where we land the equivalents of Jeff Beverly and Hans Brase. Based on your last couple of posts, I think you'd agree that that's hyperbole.

I think in terms of raising the ceiling, we do get part of the way there just from continued development of the backcourt core. Remember that there wasn't that much P6 experience from that group coming into this season and all of them grew over the course of the year. And again, Jackson was maybe the top priority of Otz, plus the staff also knows what they have in Rock whereas we do not. So if they go into the season with Rock getting significant minutes, I'm pretty confident that they're comfortable with that.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Hot takes:

I think everyone got above our britches a little in using the portal for acquisition because we had such a great season and got an immediate impact transfer right when the portal opened.

With our resources, ISU will commit most of our funds to retaining players rather than acquiring them. That’s the way I’d like it to be and I believe that is WeWill’s, as well as ISU coaches’, top priority.

What we have left over after retaining players will go towards acquisition, but naturally we’ll lose some transfers to other schools because we won’t have the funds to get them.

So I don’t get upset when we lose a transfer/recruit. I would get upset if we lost a Milan or a Lipsey or a Watson or Jeremiah Cooper in football off our current team because we short-changed them to get a new player

I also think Kyle is a little overrated personally. He made some nice plays against us, but he looked really raw offensively to me and his FT shooting was bafflingly worse than Jones or Ward’s.
His FT % was actually the same as Ward’s, but agree re: his lack of offense.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We don't know this yet. BRE developed into a really solid Big 12 player last year. I think you're underestimating his intangibles and how hard he will be to replace.

We'll see what happens with Jefferson and there is still a month or so in the portal, but I'd say we are either getting outbid badly or TJ can't promise even 20+ minutes a game at the 4 or 5.

Heise and Chatfield don't move the needle for me one bit and I doubt either plays much next year.
Wow, great to have Dan Hurley as a poster on this board. I'll trust our coaches in talent eval over someone with NO CREATIVITY or hoops knowledge.

No one is saying King, Ward, Jones or Paveletzke aren't losses. But it's not like they had above average offensive skills or rebounding machines. They were effort guys! Anyone TJ and staff brings in WILL BE an effort guy. The staff will coach it. And Lipsey, Gilbert, Momcilovic and Jones will demand it of their teammates!!

• Agree
Reactions: CliveClone17

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
BRE, Ward, and Tre were not only very good last year, but extremely large basketball players also. I don't think we are there yet in the frontcourt unless Jackson and Rock are really good
BRE, Ward, and Tre are one of the main reasons Iowa St wasn't better last year. Their lack of consistent offense lead to some odd mismatches, and scoring droughts, especially against Illinois.
While more depth at the 4 is needed for next year, Jackson at the 5 should be an improvement.