***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Every day above freezing is a win in my book. I always feel like we're on the downward side when we get past January (and spring seems to still take forever to come anyway).
The average temperature increases in the month of February. I remind myself of that to get through the worst part of the winter which is usually late January/early Feb.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Looks much more active through the middle of January. 3 possible system to monitor. Ensembles have been more consistently showing a bigger storm Monday/Tuesday next week. Confidence is growing the system will be there but so much of the details surrounds how this system will cut the middle of the country.

I think there's high confidence the system does develop. But low confidence on where it tracks at this point.

Signal for cold air behind it is pretty good though.

Fingers crossed, snow lovers!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Looks much more active through the middle of January. 3 possible system to monitor. Ensembles have been more consistently showing a bigger storm Monday/Tuesday next week. Confidence is growing the system will be there but so much of the details surrounds how this system will cut the middle of the country.

I think there's high confidence the system does develop. But low confidence on where it tracks at this point.

Signal for cold air behind it is pretty good though.

Fingers crossed, snow lovers!

I'll go make sure my snowblower still works, that should prevent the storm from rolling through.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'll go make sure my snowblower still works, that should prevent the storm from rolling through.
A leak in my gas line appeared when I fired mine up in the fall. It's still sitting with that hose missing. This will increase the odds of a major storm until I replace the gas line.

Let our fates face one another and see which prevails...

Reactions: Nothingman

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Unleash the EARL!

I need it now. Weather Underground started at 5” and has continually dropped the forecast for Monday since. Now, we’re down to 1” and it’s making me sad. I need Earl to cheer me up.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I need it now. Weather Underground started at 5” and has continually dropped the forecast for Monday since. Now, we’re down to 1” and it’s making me sad. I need Earl to cheer me up.
Don't sweat it right now. From this mornings NWS DSM forecast discussion. "Deterministic medium range run-to-runs and variability remain psychotic"

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The one area I'm looking forward to AI in is weather forecasting. I understand why it's impossible to accurately model more than about 48 hours out, but hopefully AI helps with that some. That way, instead of saying we're going to get a foot of snow and us being pissed off that we got an inch, we would have hopefully been closer to the real amount and never gotten our hopes up. Probably a long ways off though considering all the dynamic variables.