***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Stepped off my front porch this morning onto the sidewalk in Ankeny and my feet went right out from underneath me. Landed flat on my back. Laid there for a few seconds to make sure nothing was broken and then got up and slid my way into the garage to get out the ice melt.
Almost did this in the parking lot at work. The problem was that it was 90% solid ice with little patches of wet pavement, so as I slid down the little incline from my car, I suddenly got traction. Managed to stay up and penguin walk it the rest of the way.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and StClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If it is a long slow melt than I am fine with it. If we get like a week of 60 degree weather it will all end up in the creeks and rivers (they do replenished too) and possible flooding. Would much rather have it soak in!

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If it is a long slow melt than I am fine with it. If we get like a week of 60 degree weather it will all end up in the creeks and rivers (they do replenished too) and possible flooding. Would much rather have it soak in!
My neighbor has a snow depth gage in his backyard. It started around 13 inches yesterday and is down to 11 this morning.

Looking at the forecast it's suppose to be in the mid30s until Sunday. I'd say a majority of the snow will melt slowly before we even get to the 50 degree days.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Not going below 32 in central Iowa until at least Sunday, that should help the snow melt slowly.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The rivers are so low I’m not sure it would even flood. The skunk in Ames looks almost completely dry.

Reactions: NoCreativity

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
1706043883904.png Huge warmup next week... But watch out that 2nd/3rd week in Feb. Teleconnections are hinting that some cooler air potential out there in the Midwest.

A negative AO points to a weaker polar jet which can often break down and pay us a visit. Not 100% slam dunk though.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Huge warmup next week... But watch out that 2nd/3rd week in Feb. Teleconnections are hinting that some cooler air potential out there in the Midwest.

A negative AO points to a weaker polar jet which can often break down and pay us a visit. Not 100% slam dunk though.
View attachment 122658
Bust!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron