*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
The refs have allowed a very physical style of play in the league this year, lots of hand checking, pushing a cutting player off his route, hammering a player going up for a shot with few fouls being called. Many times yesterday we see a player go to the hoop and get hit without a foul being call, its becoming more physical and unless we want to see 70 free throw games, nothing is going to change quickly.
Disagree. If they would call those fouls from the start it wouldn't take players long to adjust. Would not be 70 fouls per game.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What does "hurting" mean though? I see two guards who struggle with decision making and lack offensive polish.

They've been injured and may be pressing a bit.

I'm predicting we don't see as much 'I'm going in!' types of drives 10 seconds in to the shot clock Thursday.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Carol

Feb 19, 2024
You don't think if KU were coming to our building for the last game of the year our guys wouldn't be fired up too? I have no idea why we look the way we do. I do know we go extremely hard in the off season and preseason. I just put out there we could be tired. Chris Williams, who is closer to the program than me, the game announcers yesterday, and Tom Crean (yeah I guess he is an idiot) all said we are tired. When shots and FTs are not falling, that could also be an indicator of tired legs. CW also said Lipsey and Gilbert are playing hurt. It is interesting that against OU, the guys that play a lot of minutes really couldn't do much offensively, but Watson who does not play as much bailed us out with his scoring. So our starters have not had good offensive output at all since the Houston game.
Watson suffered a concussion in the last game. A Kansas State player clobbered him in the head, and to add insult to injury, they called the foul on Watson. I hope Watson is okay.

Reactions: swisher

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Watson suffered a concussion in the last game. A Kansas State player clobbered him in the head, and to add insult to injury, they called the foul on Watson. I hope Watson is okay.
That was a bad deal. I think Watson is a key to our success going forward. He has fresh legs compared to some of the other guys which is important this time of the year. There is not a drop off on defense when he comes in and he is athletic enough to make the hustle plays that our program relies on to win. I think not having him for most of the game on Saturday really hurt us.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
What do you know, Brent Blum & CW’s sentiment on the team is the same as mine.
Also, Brent just quoted this, since Feb 1st, ISUs effective FG % is ranked 294th in the nation.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
What do you know, Brent Blum & CW’s sentiment on the team is the same as mine.
Also, Brent just quoted this, since Feb 1st, ISUs effective FG % is ranked 294th in the nation.
I heard that too. Tired legs and banged up. A lot people on the board have been saying that is not the case.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I heard that too. Tired legs and banged up. A lot people on the board have been saying that is not the case.
Yeah, Blum & CW even said, right now I can’t see an elite 8 run unless something changes.
People were flaming some of us saying sweet 16 was a ceiling right now

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
He is forcing it to much...but I don't blame him. No one else is making anything happen.
That's kind of the problem with over dribbling and forcing it. Other players end up flat-footed watching Gilbert.

I don't have issues with guards getting downhill into the lane. Good things tend to happen. Gilbert had moments when he got too deep and really didn't know what to do. The end result was off balanced "chucks" towards the rim. Some of his attempts were bad. Bad enough the officials wont bail you out.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yeah, Blum & CW even said, right now I can’t see an elite 8 run unless something changes.
This is a total bs excuse. Gilbert, Milan, and Lipsey have played the most minutes and they are 22nd, 23rd, and 24th respectively in the Big 12 in minutes.

Cincinnati is the only team in the conference who's leading minutes guy is below us. Trey, Ward, Jones, and Watson will barely even get 15-20 minutes most nights. That's a really pathetic excuse and if there is some merit to it maybe Blum, CW and those guys need to explain why this teams stamina and conditioning are coming into question 3 years in a row now.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
This is a total bs excuse. Gilbert, Milan, and Lipsey have played the most minutes and they are 22nd, 23rd, and 24th respectively in the Big 12 in minutes.

Cincinnati is the only team in the conference who's leading minutes guy is below us. Trey, Ward, Jones, and Watson will barely even get 15-20 minutes most nights. That's a really pathetic excuse and if there is some merit to it maybe Blum, CW and those guys need to explain why this teams stamina and conditioning are coming into question 3 years in a row now.
I personally don’t think it’s a stamina thing. They mentioned a lot of it are guys sagging off King & him not making them pay.
As well as a confidence issue for Milan.
KG is hurt & Tamin is hurt.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I don't understand the new rules on that. I guess Watson fouled his elbow with his face when he swung his elbow around. I thought that was now a foul on the player swinging the elbow. They called it a basketball move, which I don't entirely disagree with, but like targeting doesn't fall under how I understood the rule change. Was the review only to see if it was a fragrant 1, but the call otherwise couldn't be changed.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
A week ago you were arguing with a blogger for not having Iowa State seeded high enough and now this week we may not make it out of the first weekend. Take a breath. Whatever happens will happen.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
In my opinion, our performance each season under TJ has exceeded the talent level we’ve had on the team. We do it by playing harder than the teams we play. Minutes on the floor for an Iowa State player isn’t equivalent to minutes on the floor for another player on a different team. So yes, by March we have tired legs and we are banged up.

This team has more depth and more talent than the last two years, so I’m hopeful we can see a bounce back in the post season.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
A week ago you were arguing with a blogger for not having Iowa State seeded high enough and now this week we may not make it out of the first weekend. Take a breath. Whatever happens will happen.
Well I didn’t see our offensive efficiency numbers until a couple days ago & they made me change my tune lol.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I wasn't able to watch the KSU game. But what I have seen this year, offensively, is they started shaky as they were trying to gel together. Then they got pretty smooth for a couple weeks around first half of February, and looked scary good. The last few weeks though, they have struggled. Guys look tired, hurt, scouted, and combinations of all 3.

I think the question for this team is - is the offense what it was at its peak, and they just need some recovery time? Or was that just a false spring, and it's not that great actually, and they just had a hot streak hitting shots? Honestly, I am not sure.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Correct, if our offense stays on this trend, we are not beating a good team on a neutral court. We should’ve lost to BYU, but Hilton made that win happen.
We haven’t seen anything to say otherwise about our offense for the past 3 weeks. So until they prove they can get their mojo back on offense, sweet 16 ceiling.
What if the mojo comes back in the game to go to the elite 8?

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think the question for this team is - is the offense what it was at its peak, and they just need some recovery time? Or was that just a false spring, and it's not that great actually, and they just had a hot streak hitting shots? Honestly, I am not sure.
To me at least, it's much more the former. I think a notable thing is that when they were playing especially well during Big 12 play, the shooting efficiencies were generally good, but the Kansas and TCU games were the only two above a 55% effective field goal percentage. Even lately, the Oklahoma and BYU games are the two that stick out with especially low effective field goal percentages. The other poor offensive games have been generally not far out of line in Big 12 play in terms of shooting.
1710179097716.png

During a lot of Big 12 play, on mediocre shooting nights, they made up for it with especially low turnovers, high offensive rebounds, or a lot of free throws (or usually two of those three). In the recent stretch, and especially on Saturday, they also turned the ball over quite a bit and didn't get extra possessions. I don't quite know what that means as far as a solution is concerned, but it at least shows that shooting wasn't the sole driver of the offense we saw from mid-January to mid-to-late-February.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron