*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Well I didn’t see our offensive efficiency numbers until a couple days ago & they made me change my tune lol.
I don’t think it’s impossible to get back to where they were at. They’ve show they can be a decent offensive team where the previous two teams never showed any ability to score.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
BYU's defensive metrics have declined exactly like ISU offense the last 5-6 games but everyone thinks they are a dangerous 4-5 seed and we are going to get upset the first weekend.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don’t think it’s impossible to get back to where they were at. They’ve show they can be a decent offensive team where the previous two teams never showed any ability to score.
I think people need to take into account that the last five games after the game at Houston were not against teams that really get you charged up as none of them were contenders (other than BYU).

Our guys came out and busted their butts as always, but there's something psychologically different about playing the bottom half late in the season when you're contending. Almost like you're guarding against a loss instead of being fired up to get the win.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, Blum & CW even said, right now I can’t see an elite 8 run unless something changes.
People were flaming some of us saying sweet 16 was a ceiling right now

With all due respect to those two who know more way than most of us in regards to the program/team, there were several points they made that I couldn't agree with in the podcast.

--a team playing well in mid-conference season isn't a Final Four team. A Final Four team is a Final Four team. The 'they were so good a month ago' thing isn't acknowledging the ebb and flow of a sports season including how other teams with high athleticism can ascend and simply be better in March.
ISU has its limits athletically (for example TJ has been quoted in interviews saying how BRE is not talented, he's just such a hard worker/player etc.) and it shows at times especially when it comes to positioning in the lane, space, and speed.

--tired legs are absolutely a thing, but I'm not seeing that with this team; I think it was an issue at times the last two years. They still look like they have plenty of energy and play their tails off. Imo last years' group gets pasted by 20 on Saturday.

--to me it looks like there's too much dribbling and not enough ball movement and not valuing the ball in too quick of possessions. TJ hit that pretty hard in his post-game comments; I think more people should watch it and may gain more confidence in some improvement this week. I didn't hear CW or Blum mention this as a factor in the drop in offense but maybe I missed that.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
With all due respect to those two who know more way than most of us in regards to the program/team, there were several points they made that I couldn't agree with in the podcast.

--a team playing well in mid-conference season isn't a Final Four team. A Final Four team is a Final Four team. The 'they were so good a month ago' thing isn't acknowledging the ebb and flow of a sports season including how other teams with high athleticism can ascend and simply be better in March.
ISU has its limits athletically (for example TJ has been quoted in interviews saying how BRE is not talented, he's just such a hard worker/player etc.) and it shows at times especially when it comes to positioning in the lane, space, and speed.

--tired legs are absolutely a thing, but I'm not seeing that with this team; I think it was an issue at times the last two years. They still look like they have plenty of energy and play their tails off. Imo last years' group gets pasted by 20 on Saturday.

--to me it looks like there's too much dribbling and not enough ball movement and not valuing the ball in too quick of possessions. TJ hit that pretty hard in his post-game comments; I think more people should watch it and may gain more confidence in some improvement this week. I didn't hear CW or Blum mention this as a factor in the drop in offense but maybe I missed that.
I've noticed we haven't been doing our weave as much, which is likely to conserve their legs but that thing really does get us into a nice groove.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've noticed we haven't been doing our weave as much, which is likely to conserve their legs but that thing really does get us into a nice groove.

I'm guessing teams have been clogging something too because the skip passes have also seemed to have dried up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We're just sloppy with the ball lately. Forcing passes, telegraphing them, not squeezing rebounds or touch passes.

Forcing drives too.

TJ in the post-game looked and sounded like he wanted to have practice and start correcting things that night. It was definitely not all sunshine and rainbows.