***Official Big 12 Expansion Thread '16***

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So we are getting only $125,000 to $150,000 per year over the next 10 years for the removal of the pro rata clause from ESPN?

That is pretty ridiculous. Sure, maybe it keeps ESPN in our good graces for the next TV negotiations, but I think the league should have just maxed out the money while they still could.

If those numbers are true, I'll just be the first to say that if this was a play all along to squeeze more money out of the networks, man, that was such a stupid haphazard move. That little bit of extra money pales in comparison to all the mockery and added instability we've added to this conference. Granted, I really don't think that number is right, but even if it is significantly more, all this hoopla IS NOT worth it. This thing is not all about money. Image and stability due to that image is arguably much more valuable, especially to the likes of ISU. As much as I want everything in the Big 12 to stay strong, man this conference is a joke which is led by a bunch of ego-driven clowns. Yes, I'm looking at you David Boren and a few others. YOU are not just a big part of what is wrong with this conference, but you being a politician and playing that game is also an indictment of what is wrong with all our politicians.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I read in another article that it was $10 million per a year which translated to $1 million per a school. But as usual, no one really knows as it seems that people are just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I read in another article that it was $10 million per a year which translated to $1 million per a school. But as usual, no one really knows as it seems that people are just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

It's $10 million total for the remaining years on the contract, so it is in the neighborhood of $125k per school per year.

Not bad for literally changing nothing about the conference, but still getting more money for it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If those numbers are true, I'll just be the first to say that if this was a play all along to squeeze more money out of the networks, man, that was such a stupid haphazard move. That little bit of extra money pales in comparison to all the mockery and added instability we've added to this conference. Granted, I really don't think that number is right, but even if it is significantly more, all this hoopla IS NOT worth it. This thing is not all about money. Image and stability due to that image is arguably much more valuable, especially to the likes of ISU. As much as I want everything in the Big 12 to stay strong, man this conference is a joke which is led by a bunch of ego-driven clowns. Yes, I'm looking at you David Boren and a few others. YOU are not just a big part of what is wrong with this conference, but you being a politician and playing that game is also an indictment of what is wrong with all our politicians.

To add to this, for all the grief us Millennials are getting in this country right now (I'm barely one) with funny videos like this (FYI... I find it hilariously true too), I can't say it is us Millennials that are producing all these ass-clowns in charge right now of not only the Big 12, but also our country. Yes, I'm looking at YOU baby boomers. Shoot, we Millennials would probably be better than these jokers in charge now. Anyone might.

P.S. Boren strikes me as one of those dudes that has his assistant check his email because he doesn't know how to operate these crazy things we call computers

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: alarson

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Fox is probably betting on the super majority voting dysfunction. Not many remaining schools out there can clear this hurdle.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So we are getting only $125,000 to $150,000 per year over the next 10 years for the removal of the pro rata clause from ESPN?

That is pretty ridiculous. Sure, maybe it keeps ESPN in our good graces for the next TV negotiations, but I think the league should have just maxed out the money while they still could.

Depends on the details. Did the league not expand because of the money offered, or did the league decide not to expand for other reasons and took the money offered? If it was the latter, then at least they got something out of it. If it was a major factor in not expanding then that's just sad. But I doubt we'll never really know the truth to that with all the spin coming out in reports and insider information.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Fox is probably betting on the super majority voting dysfunction. Not many remaining schools out there can clear this hurdle.

FOX is going to call this bluff and I think that is smart by them.

The only way the Big 12 takes advantage of the pro rata is if they expand with inferior schools (who wouldn't be worth the money anyway). The only way that happens is if the schools decide to milk the contract for all it's worth before the Big 12 explodes. But while OU and UT might want to do that in 5 years, I can't see the ISU, KSU, Baylors of the conference agreeing to promote more schools to the Power 5 level when the demise of the Big 12 is imminent. Less competition = better likelihood of staying Power 5. So FOX gets the impasse that it expects.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron