Official Big 12 Wrestling Championships

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I should let that pass, but I can't resist. Somehow == combining 2 schools' best wrestlers together. Win and build from there.

Right, because we all know Iowa sucked at wrestling before the kids that wanted to wrestle for Brands followed him to Iowa, giving up a year of their careers to do so.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007

. . . unless, of course, you like seeing Iowa win all the marbles every year.

Hopefully, some team in the Big 1? or Big XII needs to strip Iowa's greasy little paws off of the NCAA trophy soon . . . or this sport will continue to languish.

I really don't mind seeing Okie State take the Big XII championship trophy because it strengthens the conference and interest.

Miller can smuggly say he likes to have "other" teams getting better but you will never hear/read him saying, "I think Iowa getting defeated by another Big 1? program would be great for the sport."
Oh . . and besides that, Miller is a wimp. :smile:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
. . . unless, of course, you like seeing Iowa win all the marbles every year.

Hopefully, some team in the Big 1? or Big XII needs to strip Iowa's greasy little paws off of the NCAA trophy soon . . . or this sport will continue to languish.

I really don't mind seeing Okie State take the Big XII championship trophy because it strengthens the conference and interest.

Miller can smuggly say he likes to have "other" teams getting better but you will never hear/read him saying, "I think Iowa getting defeated by another Big 1? program would be great for the sport."
Oh . . and besides that, Miller is a wimp. :smile:
why on earth would jon ever seperate himself from iowa? he makes $$$ as an operative for them...why on earth would he say it is good to have his revenue source lose? that would be like a cubs fan cheering for the cards...

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I agree with TedKumsher-it would be nice to take the best wrestlers from a good program and combine them with the best wrestlers from a great program. That luxury for Brands ends next year so we'll see how he does from then forward.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
why on earth would jon ever seperate himself from iowa? he makes $$$ as an operative for them...why on earth would he say it is good to have his revenue source lose? that would be like a cubs fan cheering for the cards...

Can't disagree with the word "operative." Now watch him lecture us about how the other teams just need to get better and the rest will take care of itself. Just like Women's basketball and UConn. LOL

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

On the other hand, it doesn't do much for ISU. After carrying the #2 rating for much of the year, what will ISU as a team have to show for the season? Barring a team win at nationals, ISU will have lost to Iowa twice, didn't win (finished second) at Midlands, and lost a conference championship that they should have put away. So there were no real steps forward over the prior year.

Maybe if losing the conference championship (in the manner that it was lost) motivates an awesome team performance at nationals, it might be worth something. Otherwise, it's kind of a downer for the program...

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
On the other hand, it doesn't do much for ISU. After carrying the #2 rating for much of the year, what will ISU as a team have to show for the season? Barring a team win at nationals, ISU will have lost to Iowa twice, didn't win (finished second) at Midlands, and lost a conference championship that they should have put away. So there were no real steps forward over the prior year.

Maybe if losing the conference championship (in the manner that it was lost) motivates an awesome team performance at nationals, it might be worth something. Otherwise, it's kind of a downer for the program...

Your latter point is what I am focusing on . . let's see if Jackson can fire these guys up to put them over the top at the Nationals. They have every reason to be motivated now.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
We replaced two all americans with back ups.. 141 and 157. However they have both had good moments this year. But What did you expect??

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
cyclone1306-Not only 2 all-americans but I think Gallick was rated #1 when he went down. Can anybody doubt we would have won the conference meet with Gallick in the line-up, or if Sanderson hadn't transferred? Everything considered this has been a pretty solid year, and we still have an outside shot at a national title.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
cyclone1306-Not only 2 all-americans but I think Gallick was rated #1 when he went down. Can anybody doubt we would have won the conference meet with Gallick in the line-up, or if Sanderson hadn't transferred? Everything considered this has been a pretty solid year, and we still have an outside shot at a national title.

Lots of If's. But you are exactly right. Losing Gallick really put us behind the 8 ball. He was one of the favorites to win the title this year. And after Slaton was ruled ineligible and the inconsistency from some of the top guys in the big 10 I would think he would have been on an odds on favorite to be the national champ.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
I agree with TedKumsher-it would be nice to take the best wrestlers from a good program and combine them with the best wrestlers from a great program. That luxury for Brands ends next year so we'll see how he does from then forward.

The only 2 from VT now in the lineup are Metcalf and Borschel, and next year Iowa has the #1 ranked recruiting class coming in, so I think it is safe to say while Iowa will miss these 2 they will be fine.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Sour grapes

Right, because we all know Iowa sucked at wrestling before the kids that wanted to wrestle for Brands followed him to Iowa, giving up a year of their careers to do so.

The only 2 from VT now in the lineup are Metcalf and Borschel, and next year Iowa has the #1 ranked recruiting class coming in, so I think it is safe to say while Iowa will miss these 2 they will be fine.

I think you guys misunderstood my post (or I worded it poorly).

I don't think anyone can really argue that Brands brought kids with him. 2 schools best wrestlers were combined into 1 juggernaut. They won, and they have BUILT FROM THERE. I did not intend to imply that they are STILL 2 teams meshed together. But it was a big hire, Brands brought guys with them (good for them! -- I don't care), they won, and recruits/reputation/etc. has grown SINCE then. Of course Iowa's been great for a long time (who's Zabel again?).

But from the original post I was responding to -- that's the "something" that gave Iowa a great push 3 (4) years ago and they're still riding that. Of course, you have to be good enough to actually ride the wave -- which Iowa was and is. (Is that a terrible surfing analogy or what?)

Oct 14, 2007
Ames

The ONLY ones? Yeah, just these two guys who are the odds on favorite to win it all in their weight class. Just them.

EYE4CY

Feb 15, 2010
You guys need to realize, if brands was the coach at Iowa 5 years ago, he would have gotten those recruits. They wanted to wrestle for brands they didn't care where. So it doesn't matter that they went to VT and then UI, they would have been there anyway and actually wouldn't have lost a year for transferring. Brands is a really good recruiter and will always be bringing in top 5 classes. So to say he combined the best from 2 schools is just dumb, he would have had those guys anyway.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
You guys need to realize, if brands was the coach at Iowa 5 years ago, he would have gotten those recruits.

I think people understand that. The argument could be made, not sure I would make it though, that it is some of the non-VT wrestlers who might be somewhere else. If the VT guys were in the mix initially maybe other guys would have gone somewhere else either due to recruiting changes by Iowa or monetary considerations based on less scholarship money available.