Official Big 12 Wrestling Championships

EYE4CY

Feb 15, 2010
Chizik wasn't fired you big ol' Clone fan.

EDIT: Sorry for getting this off track. Hopefully this really lights a fire and we can get things rolling.

Ok maybe im not a very informed cyclone fan when it comes to football coaches release status, but everything else in that was correct and you know it. Just go back and read the last few pages.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Disappointing but at least ISU is wrestling in a conference tournament with some real competition unlike Iowa and the little ten. .

Riiiight. If you really believe that there is not 'real' competition in the Big Ten, then I am guessing you hang out in the basketball forums and only venture onto this one when there is a big meet or tournament, just waving the school flag.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This is one of those things that just perplexes you as a sports fan. ISU wrestling just rolls along, and then for whatever reason, in the really big close pressure-packed situations, two or three guys (who are normally solid) wrestle down. It happened a couple of years ago at nationals, it seems to happen in the Iowa match over the past couple of years, it happened last year and this year in the Big 12 conference tourney finals. Maybe a couple of guys wrestle up, but it isn't enough to make up the lost points.

It's like some invisible wall that you just can't get through. Somehow, Iowa knows how to break down that wall. Cael Sanderson couldn't figure out how to break it down for the team (obviously he know how to do it as a wrestler). Hopefully Jackson can get the team past whatever it is that blocks them.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Just got back from the tournament. I read some posts and for those of you that want to blame Ward, in my opinion you have every right to. Everything that has been a problem with him this year showed up in a big way today. Unaggressive counter-wrestling was the best I could describe it. His success goes with his explosiveness and aggression and he put none of it on display today and took home a well-deserved last place. Ward is the wrestler on I want to succeed the most, but he is just flat-out frustrating!! More athleticism in his little toe than in most of the other wrestlers out there, but just can't get him to cut it loose. Has to be frustrating for KJ.

Disappointed in Long but I think he will have a good nationals. Same with Reader, when he loses a match, that is how he usually loses.

It's tough to watch them choke away a title, which was a staple under Sanderson, but I still firmly believe KJ is a better coach than Cael. We were the best team there and the Big XII title should be in Ames tonight, I'm bitter but I hope we come jacked up for Nationals....that means you WARD, I know you can do this, let it go at Nationals!!!! I honestly believe he can get top 5 if he lets it go.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Some comments from Kevin Jackson...

ISU Edged out for Big 12 Trophy; Varner, Zabriskie Win - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

“We are disappointed,â€￾ Iowa State head coach Kevin Jackson said. “We had a chance to take care of our own destiny and didn’t wrestle and do the things we knew we had to do. I was impressed with Varner’s match. He rode Brester throughout the match and was real quick on his takedowns. I am starting to worry less about Dave Zabriskie in these overtime matches. You always worry when it comes down to that in overtime at the NCAA tournament but what can I say. He beat two of the nation’s best heavyweights to win a third Big 12 title. Very impressive.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Just got back from the tournament. I read some posts and for those of you that want to blame Ward, in my opinion you have every right to. Everything that has been a problem with him this year showed up in a big way today. Unaggressive counter-wrestling was the best I could describe it. His success goes with his explosiveness and aggression and he put none of it on display today and took home a well-deserved last place. Ward is the wrestler on I want to succeed the most, but he is just flat-out frustrating!! More athleticism in his little toe than in most of the other wrestlers out there, but just can't get him to cut it loose. Has to be frustrating for KJ.

Disappointed in Long but I think he will have a good nationals. Same with Reader, when he loses a match, that is how he usually loses.

It's tough to watch them choke away a title, which was a staple under Sanderson, but I still firmly believe KJ is a better coach than Cael. We were the best team there and the Big XII title should be in Ames tonight, I'm bitter but I hope we come jacked up for Nationals....that means you WARD, I know you can do this, let it go at Nationals!!!! I honestly believe he can get top 5 if he lets it go.

What? The only title we choked away out of the three Big XIIs he won was last year when we essentially had a nearly identical tournament.

Fact is ISU got hot during a few down years for OSU and greatly benefitted from it.

Nov 9, 2008
Disappointing but at least ISU is wrestling in a conference tournament with some real competition unlike Iowa and the little ten. ISU will need to step it up next at the Nationals. The thing is like a demolition derby, you never know who will get beat (remember Caldwell's win?) They might have a chance but have to really want it, they didn't today.

right.....this smells of a sore loser!

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
Disappointing but at least ISU is wrestling in a conference tournament with some real competition unlike Iowa and the little ten. ISU will need to step it up next at the Nationals. The thing is like a demolition derby, you never know who will get beat (remember Caldwell's win?) They might have a chance but have to really want it, they didn't today.

I think you've already been berated enough by cyclonefanatic posters, but just to add to, I would say the Big 10 is atleast as good as the Big 12, and to be honest, I would say they are better. I enjoy Hawkeye bashing as much as the next true-blooded cyclone fan, but got to give credit where credit is due: Iowa Wrestling is Dominant....yep, I just threw up in my mouth a bit....:eek:

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
This is one of those things that just perplexes you as a sports fan. ISU wrestling just rolls along, and then for whatever reason, in the really big close pressure-packed situations, two or three guys (who are normally solid) wrestle down. It happened a couple of years ago at nationals, it seems to happen in the Iowa match over the past couple of years, it happened last year and this year in the Big 12 conference tourney finals. Maybe a couple of guys wrestle up, but it isn't enough to make up the lost points.

It's like some invisible wall that you just can't get through. Somehow, Iowa knows how to break down that wall. Cael Sanderson couldn't figure out how to break it down for the team (obviously he know how to do it as a wrestler). Hopefully Jackson can get the team past whatever it is that blocks them.

Exactly,

I can't figure out the Big 12 scoring?

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I didn't read the first 29 pages of this, but as a wrestling season ticket holder, I'm going to guess I have a little more perspective on this than 95% of the posters here.

Yes it sucks that we had a couple guys get beat that should have, but this team isn't even really competitive at 2 of the 10 weights (and I'd argue 3). That's huge ground to give up. We were able to make that disappear in duals because we got so many more bonus points this year. In the individual brackets, it's more difficult to make those points back up.

No matter what, this team should learn from Saturdays results and come back firing on all cylinders in 2 weeks.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Riiiight. If you really believe that there is not 'real' competition in the Big Ten, then I am guessing you hang out in the basketball forums and only venture onto this one when there is a big meet or tournament, just waving the school flag.

90% of iowa fans will tell you that Iowa has no real competition in the big 10 this year. that will change next year as penn state and Minn will be very solid. This year outside of Iowa who is obviously the best the Big 12 top to bottom is much tougher. One of my good friends is an Iowa fan and is at the Big 10's this weekend and his comment was, "The big 12's would be a much better tournament to watch this Year, the rest of the big 10 really isnt that good this year, a larger percent of poor wrestlers."

It shouldnt be taken as duragatory. its a fact this year. The big 10 was suspected to be down this year as Michigans best wrestler redshirted, as well as a pair from Northwestern. The big 10 will be much more solid as a "whole" next year. When Minn Dietchler? got denied eligibility it really hurt MInn as a team. And Schlatters inability to stay healthy. And penn state just isnt that great this year....they are loading up for the years to come. And that may be one team I hope Iowa always puts a whipping on.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
90% of iowa fans will tell you that Iowa has no real competition in the big 10 this year. that will change next year as penn state and Minn will be very solid. This year outside of Iowa who is obviously the best the Big 12 top to bottom is much tougher. One of my good friends is an Iowa fan and is at the Big 10's this weekend and his comment was, "The big 12's would be a much better tournament to watch this Year, the rest of the big 10 really isnt that good this year, a larger percent of poor wrestlers."

It shouldnt be taken as duragatory. its a fact this year. The big 10 was suspected to be down this year as Michigans best wrestler redshirted, as well as a pair from Northwestern. The big 10 will be much more solid as a "whole" next year. When Minn Dietchler? got denied eligibility it really hurt MInn as a team. And Schlatters inability to stay healthy. And penn state just isnt that great this year....they are loading up for the years to come. And that may be one team I hope Iowa always puts a whipping on.

Again, as another poster pointed out, the Big 10 has three teams in the top five.

Also, it's pretty unfair to say that the Big 12 is better "top to bottom" when they only have five schools (compared to 11 in the Big 10).

I think I'd take Iowa, OSU, Minn, Wisc, IU/PSU over ISU, OSU, OU, Mizzou, Neb

So I guess I didn't take your comments as duragatory...just wrong.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006

The Big 5 tournament was a great tournament...from a standpoint of the rankings going head to head, very, very good. I dont think any true wrestling fan would deny that at all. However, the poster that said there was nothing at the Big Tens and that it was a cake walk for Iowa...

Iowa has 8 of its 10 wrestlers ranked inside WIN's top 8 rankings at each class, which if that finished on paper, is 8 all americans. I agree that the firepower top to bottom in the Big Ten this year is not super stacked, then again there are six teams ranked in the top 13 I think, last I looked.

I dont see this as being any room for anti ISU or anti Iowa because of their teams...and the leagues they are in. Still the best two leagues, still great athletes at the tournaments, and great wrestling. As for the B10 next year, it will be closer no doubt...Iowa loses quite a bit..I am interested to see how they fill the holes. Same for ISU

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The Big 5 tournament was a great tournament...from a standpoint of the rankings going head to head, very, very good. I dont think any true wrestling fan would deny that at all. However, the poster that said there was nothing at the Big Tens and that it was a cake walk for Iowa...

Iowa has 8 of its 10 wrestlers ranked inside WIN's top 8 rankings at each class, which if that finished on paper, is 8 all americans. I agree that the firepower top to bottom in the Big Ten this year is not super stacked, then again there are six teams ranked in the top 13 I think, last I looked.

I dont see this as being any room for anti ISU or anti Iowa because of their teams...and the leagues they are in. Still the best two leagues, still great athletes at the tournaments, and great wrestling. As for the B10 next year, it will be closer no doubt...Iowa loses quite a bit..I am interested to see how they fill the holes. Same for ISU

why choose to use the number 5 here Jon and not 11 on your side of the debate???

-keep

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009

Agreed.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames

I should let that pass, but I can't resist. Somehow == combining 2 schools' best wrestlers together. Win and build from there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron