***OFFICIAL BIG12 EXPANSION THREAD***

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Wow, the Cincy site, Bearcat Lair, is really blowing up with talk of Cincy to Big XII. You have to sign up as it's a premium site, but they are reporting Cincy, WV, the 'Ville, TCU, BYU all working to join Big XII. From the BYU thread here at CF, it sounds like BYU is pretty solid. Should the Big XII go to 14?

Cincinnati Bearcats Football & Basketball | BearcatLair.com

Conference Realignment: Rumors of a Big East Mass Exodus - Big East Coast Bias

Sorry if these have already been posted. It's tough to keep up with all this realignment stuff...

I would bet money that the Big 12 goes with no greater number than 12 teams.

I actually think that Cincy is left out in the cold. Wishful thinking on their part that they will be in the Big 12.

Louisville is definitely in. And I am thinking TCU is in as well. Now it comes down to whether Mizzou stays or not.

TCU will be in the South. Louisville in the North. And BYU could get the nod of being in the North as well. Actually a pretty decent conference.

hawkin

Jun 11, 2010
What I've heard on this front is that the Big 12 would add BYU, TCU, West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati, thereby killing the Big East in its current version as a football conference. The Big 12 would then invite Notre Dame into the league for its applicable olympic sports but football would remain independent. The Big 12 would then be at 14 schools and Notre Dame would agree to a situation similar to what Kevin White agreed to with the Big East in football, basically that Notre Dame play three Big 12 teams per year. Don't be surprised if Notre Dame changes up its Thanksgiving week routine and Texas becomes an annual series there, replacing the Longhorns game with Texas A&M. That's the hope from Texas at least.

With Notre Dame a partial member of the Big 12 at 14 schools, Notre Dame would have the first right of refusal to join in full with football should the next conference realignment step force Notre Dame into a football conference, i.e. suddenly there are four 16-team super conferences and break away from the NCAA. That doesn't mean Notre Dame would be locked into the Big 12, but they'd at least have a foot in the door there.

Pete Sampson
Editor - Irish Illustrated
[email protected]

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What I've heard on this front is that the Big 12 would add BYU, TCU, West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati, thereby killing the Big East in its current version as a football conference. The Big 12 would then invite Notre Dame into the league for its applicable olympic sports but football would remain independent. The Big 12 would then be at 14 schools and Notre Dame would agree to a situation similar to what Kevin White agreed to with the Big East in football, basically that Notre Dame play three Big 12 teams per year. Don't be surprised if Notre Dame changes up its Thanksgiving week routine and Texas becomes an annual series there, replacing the Longhorns game with Texas A&M. That's the hope from Texas at least.

With Notre Dame a partial member of the Big 12 at 14 schools, Notre Dame would have the first right of refusal to join in full with football should the next conference realignment step force Notre Dame into a football conference, i.e. suddenly there are four 16-team super conferences and break away from the NCAA. That doesn't mean Notre Dame would be locked into the Big 12, but they'd at least have a foot in the door there.

Pete Sampson
[email protected]

That would be pretty sweet!

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

Pete Sampson
[email protected]

Questions/Thoughts:
1. Did you e-mail this Pete Sampson guy yourself, or did he post this somewhere
2. If you have a 14 team Big 12, its not going to be with those teams listed above. Either West Virginia, or Mizzou is gone to SEC. That would make 13.
3. This is really the first I've heard rumors on Notre Dame and their BB/Olympic sports...I'd have to think they'd be more likely to do a Big12/14 conference for olympic sports than an 8 team Big East with Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, etc

hawkin

Jun 11, 2010
Questions/Thoughts:
1. Did you e-mail this Pete Sampson guy yourself, or did he post this somewhere
2. If you have a 14 team Big 12, its not going to be with those teams listed above. Either West Virginia, or Mizzou is gone to SEC. That would make 13.
3. This is really the first I've heard rumors on Notre Dame and their BB/Olympic sports...I'd have to think they'd be more likely to do a Big12/14 conference for olympic sports than an 8 team Big East with Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, etc

I got it from the Kansasrivals site but it was orignally posted here:

http://notredame.rivals.com/forum.asp?fid=1418

hawkin

Jun 11, 2010
btw. it could be pure speculation from the Irish rivals guy but its the first i've heard of this scenario. Hope it works out this way.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

Pete Sampson
[email protected]

That is interesting but why would ND break away their Bb/Olympic sports from the Big East and put them in the B12 and remain independent in football when the Big E will probably still remain as a non football conference.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
That is interesting but why would ND break away their Bb/Olympic sports from the Big East and put them in the B12 and remain independent in football when the Big E will probably still remain as a non football conference.

So they can be guaranteed 3 games vs BIG12 teams each year with a game against Texas every year during Thanksgiving time.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
mug_shot_normal.JPG

wilnerhotline Jon Wilner

Hard to imagine BSU gets invite without BYU as travel partner. Many steps remaining, as noted a few days ago.

14 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

mug_shot_normal.JPG

wilnerhotline Jon Wilner

Sources: B12 having reservations about Boise State on academic front, in addition to geography.

15 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply murphsturph Brian Murphy

murphsturph Brian Murphy

Still think "academics" is what conference come up with then they don't want a school. Never seems to matter when they want one.

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

murphsturph Brian Murphy

Boise State certainly working to improve academics at university. Hamstrung in part by historical role in state, current financial issues

10 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

Would you want to play in a conference of

Villanova
DePaul
St. John's
Providence
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Marquette

Or would you want to stick with Louisville, Cincy, West Virginia, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, etc?

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Would you want to play in a conference of

Villanova
DePaul
St. John's
Providence
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Marquette

Or would you want to stick with Louisville, Cincy, West Virginia, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, IOWA STATE, etc?

fixed.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
mug_shot_normal.JPG

wilnerhotline Jon Wilner

Hard to imagine BSU gets invite without BYU as travel partner. Many steps remaining, as noted a few days ago.

14 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

mug_shot_normal.JPG

wilnerhotline Jon Wilner

Sources: B12 having reservations about Boise State on academic front, in addition to geography.

15 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply murphsturph Brian Murphy

murphsturph Brian Murphy

Still think "academics" is what conference come up with then they don't want a school. Never seems to matter when they want one.

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

murphsturph Brian Murphy

Boise State certainly working to improve academics at university. Hamstrung in part by historical role in state, current financial issues

10 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Monkey_Poo_for_you_pt1_by_Jays_Dood.jpg

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site

Pete Sampson
[email protected]

I could go for this... and actually... if we could get to 15 football schools plus ND for all but football... I think I might light that better.

Football:
3 Divisions of 5 teams:
8 conference football games (4 against your division... 2 from each of the other two divisions)
4 non conference games
Potential for 4 team playoff just like a 16 team conference would have (3 Division champs + 1 Wildcard)

Basketball:
15 conference games (because of ND)
15 non conference games.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I could go for this... and actually... if we could get to 15 football schools plus ND for all but football... I think I might light that better.

Football:
3 Divisions of 5 teams:
8 conference football games (4 against your division... 2 from each of the other two divisions)
4 non conference games
Potential for 4 team playoff just like a 16 team conference would have (3 Division champs + 1 Wildcard)

Basketball:
15 conference games (because of ND)
15 non conference games.

I think if there was a potential for a 2 game playoff we would have to only play 11 games or something. 12 games + two playoff games + bowl game won't happen. That is why a playoff pretty much won't ever happen

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I agree that a playoff system for football shouldn't happen... I just wanted to point out that it could fit the same mold 16 team conference (4 pods of 4) playoffs would require...

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
There are so many logistical problems with adding the full stable of Big East programs I don't really want to think about it, BUT...

This ND rivals guy has the vision thing down. I can see how making this play gets us where we need to go as a conference. It's got the TV's, it's got the high caliber programs, championship game, basketball, and intangibles to make a TV network happen right away. It probably earns two AQ bids to the BCS, which should placate UT and OU having to play in a CCG, brings in ND--even if only for basketball and olympic sports for now, and likely cuts off all other major expansion plans by competing conferences at the knees.

IT would be a nightmare to manage, but a major improvement for the BE teams who have become accustomed to herding cats with those basketball only schools....

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
So they can be guaranteed 3 games vs BIG12 teams each year with a game against Texas every year during Thanksgiving time.

Correct, plus they get extensive recruiting exposure in TX with all of their sports.

Their non-FB sports are much better off in a merged B12/BE conference than the small remaining private schools in the BE.

I doubt the B12 will expand beyond 12 unless ND is part of the deal.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
With Syracuse and Pitt going to the ACC, the Big East is doomed as a football conference. The Big 12 can be choosy about the teams they want. And certainly has a lot of options.

No way that Boise State gets an invite. Logistically and academically it makes NO sense.

Louisville is a shoo in. IMO, TCU is as well. Because of logistics and also because the addition of TCU absolutely dooms the Big East and makes the addition of Louisville a reality.

WVU may get an invite as the SEC has said they want Mizzou. And Mizzou may go. IMO, that would be a blunder on Mizzou's part.

Cinci is left out in the cold. Back to the C-USA for Cinci.

BYU may get an invite. They have money and a pretty big following. A lot of smoke means there is some fire.

I do not see the Big 12 having more than 12 teams. It just won't happen. 14 teams means splitting the pie up in a lot more ways. We go with 12 teams. The Big Ten will not move off of 12 teams. SEC will not move off of 14 teams. ACC may move to 16 teams. But may just stay at 14 and leave Rutgers and UConn in the Big East for basketball while they remain independent for football. And they might just merge some C-USA schools but I do not see them getting AQ status in the future.

Help Support Us

Become a patron