Official College Football Power Rankings Week 9

mattua

Oct 21, 2020
actually its my basement in wisconsin. and no, no one's paying us. its a project my kids and i are doing together while were all cooped up because of this damn virus. schools in our town are shut down and i own a bar... so yeah. lot of spare time. not experts... just a family full of football geeks. observation and a question for you guys... that isu helmet we used in there is amazing. they should switch back immediately. and why, being the cyclones, did they at one point have a cardinal on their helmet?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
actually its my basement in wisconsin. and no, no one's paying us. its a project my kids and i are doing together while were all cooped up because of this damn virus. schools in our town are shut down and i own a bar... so yeah. lot of spare time. not experts... just a family full of football geeks. observation and a question for you guys... that isu helmet we used in there is amazing. they should switch back immediately. and why, being the cyclones, did they at one point have a cardinal on their helmet?
Because Cy is a cardinal

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Basically the story is that Iowa State used to be the Cardinals. Then a long time ago (during the days of Pop Warner being our coach I think) there had been a series of “cyclones” (tornadoes) that hit the Midwest. Shortly after ISU played Northwestern and kicked the crap out of them and the Chicago tribune said ISU came in like an Iowa Cyclone. Everyone seemed to like it and they made the change. The mascot continues to be a cardinal because you can’t really put someone in a tornado costume and tell them to spin around all game.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sorry, but you lost all credibility and respect with comments like these:
reality is the Big 12 barely registers as a Power 5 conference any more. And when was the last time the conference had an actual D?

The ignorance is pretty strong there. Here’s a tip, if you want to keep getting clicks and gain respect, leave comments like that out.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
"Big 12 hardly registers as a power 5 conference anymore"

-coming to you live from a basement in Iowa City

The best part is, by this person's own power ranking they have 60% of the conference in the top 30 teams in the country!

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Exceptionally dumb take, since just last week the big XII was one of the best defensive conferences in the country and the overrated 10 was one of the worst.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014

Hey man,

I respect you putting your thoughts out there to pass the time. Obviously the "barley registers as a Power 5 conference" quote rubbed a few of us the wrong way, but it's not exactly like your out on a limb by yourself these days. The national narrative certainly supports your assertion. I'm curious about why you feel that way though, so while you're hear I have a few questions:

If the Big 12 is barely a Power 5, does that mean you believe the Pac 12 is clearly better than the Big 12? If not, do you then believe there are only truly 3 Power 5 conferences?

When comparing conferences' overall strength, how do you account for the fact that the Big 10 and SEC have 40% more teams and the ACC has 50% more teams than the Big 12? It would seem to me that if the Big 10, for example, was clearly better than the Big 12 they would routinely have 40% more teams in the Top 25 than the Big 12. But that is rarely the case.

Thanks for stopping by to talk football!

• Friendly
Reactions: Snydes

Help Support Us

Become a patron