Official College Football Power Rankings Week 9

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
actually its my basement in wisconsin. and no, no one's paying us. its a project my kids and i are doing together while were all cooped up because of this damn virus. schools in our town are shut down and i own a bar... so yeah. lot of spare time. not experts... just a family full of football geeks. observation and a question for you guys... that isu helmet we used in there is amazing. they should switch back immediately. and why, being the cyclones, did they at one point have a cardinal on their helmet?

Post your drivel on a B10 board.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Basically the story is that Iowa State used to be the Cardinals. Then a long time ago (during the days of Pop Warner being our coach I think) there had been a series of “cyclones” (tornadoes) that hit the Midwest. Shortly after ISU played Northwestern and kicked the crap out of them and the Chicago tribune said ISU came in like an Iowa Cyclone. Everyone seemed to like it and they made the change. The mascot continues to be a cardinal because you can’t really put someone in a tornado costume and tell them to spin around all game.
All correct but I don't think ISU was ever called the Cardinals, Cardinal and Gold colors.

Reactions: VeloClone

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hey man,

I respect you putting your thoughts out there to pass the time. Obviously the "barley registers as a Power 5 conference" quote rubbed a few of us the wrong way, but it's not exactly like your out on a limb by yourself these days. The national narrative certainly supports your assertion. I'm curious about why you feel that way though, so while you're hear I have a few questions:

If the Big 12 is barely a Power 5, does that mean you believe the Pac 12 is clearly better than the Big 12? If not, do you then believe there are only truly 3 Power 5 conferences?

When comparing conferences' overall strength, how do you account for the fact that the Big 10 and SEC have 40% more teams and the ACC has 50% more teams than the Big 12? It would seem to me that if the Big 10, for example, was clearly better than the Big 12 they would routinely have 40% more teams in the Top 25 than the Big 12. But that is rarely the case.

Thanks for stopping by to talk football!

It bothers me more than it should this take doesn’t get brought up more. Nationally, you never hear it.

Instead we hear “Wow the SEC has 6 teams ranked! Big 12 only has 5!” Its so stupid yet continues to be used on espn fox etc

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
All correct but I don't think ISU was ever called the Cardinals, Cardinal and Gold colors.
Yep, you’re right, looks like a cardinal was chosen for a mascot based on the color scheme and difficulty of a tornado mascot.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

mattua

Oct 21, 2020
Asking me to defend my assertions is fair. my first observation is that half of the games wind up with basketball scores. It seems on a weekly basis like the Big 12 has more shootouts than the rest of the country combined. That part wasn't a criticism for me personally; im old enough to remember when it was the big 8 and every team ran the wishbone and threw the ball all of twice a game. nebraska was winning championships that way, but god, was it boring. (as a badger fan im fully aware we were that same thing minus the wishbone.. hell, we just learned that you can throw more than ten times in a game like 5 years ago)
However, its hard to win titles like that now. as far as not being a power 5 conference, every year down there is like this. a lot of good, high scoring teams... ok state, you guys, oklahoma. recent years you look at the good teams... its always the same. and whoever the big 12 sends to the bcs... usually oklahoma... is expected to lose in another basketball score shootout and does. narratives are usually based on fact, and i think this one is as well. i mean... who there wouldnt get destroyed by any of the top 4 teams? i know the big ten is far from without issues... even though we have like 30 teams now theres still only one question year to year... who finishes 2nd to ohio state? i apologize if i ruffled any feathers, but that is how it looks from the outside. and tbh... thats why we do these things and share them on the message boards we do... to stir up discussion and argue football. its the best part of football left for now without being able to go to the games.
and CysRage is partially correct. We do get paid for this... the place we do these things puts ads on these things. last week we got almost 10k views... not a big number on the internet, i know... and we made the princely sum of just about 2 bucks. as i said up there... me and the kids do this because its a blast putting these things together... finding helmets like the retro ones we used this week...we have index cards with each team on them, and cover the basement floor moving them around and arguing about who goes where... usuallly til about 2 am... and them seeing and interacting with the responses we get on sundays. we do appreciate everyone who responded and interacted with us.... some boards we dont do any more because the fans suck... SEC fans as a whole tend to be complete douchebags... especially 'bama fans. one guy in a wake forest room... wake forest, of all places... yeah, they still have a team... wished covid on us. but as a whole... most fans are good folks who, like us, just like to argue football good naturedly. so thanks to all.

Reactions: Neptune78

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Asking me to defend my assertions is fair. my first observation is that half of the games wind up with basketball scores. It seems on a weekly basis like the Big 12 has more shootouts than the rest of the country combined. That part wasn't a criticism for me personally; im old enough to remember when it was the big 8 and every team ran the wishbone and threw the ball all of twice a game. nebraska was winning championships that way, but god, was it boring. (as a badger fan im fully aware we were that same thing minus the wishbone.. hell, we just learned that you can throw more than ten times in a game like 5 years ago)
However, its hard to win titles like that now. as far as not being a power 5 conference, every year down there is like this. a lot of good, high scoring teams... ok state, you guys, oklahoma. recent years you look at the good teams... its always the same. and whoever the big 12 sends to the bcs... usually oklahoma... is expected to lose in another basketball score shootout and does. narratives are usually based on fact, and i think this one is as well. i mean... who there wouldnt get destroyed by any of the top 4 teams? i know the big ten is far from without issues... even though we have like 30 teams now theres still only one question year to year... who finishes 2nd to ohio state? i apologize if i ruffled any feathers, but that is how it looks from the outside. and tbh... thats why we do these things and share them on the message boards we do... to stir up discussion and argue football. its the best part of football left for now without being able to go to the games.
and CysRage is partially correct. We do get paid for this... the place we do these things puts ads on these things. last week we got almost 10k views... not a big number on the internet, i know... and we made the princely sum of just about 2 bucks. as i said up there... me and the kids do this because its a blast putting these things together... finding helmets like the retro ones we used this week...we have index cards with each team on them, and cover the basement floor moving them around and arguing about who goes where... usuallly til about 2 am... and them seeing and interacting with the responses we get on sundays. we do appreciate everyone who responded and interacted with us.... some boards we dont do any more because the fans suck... SEC fans as a whole tend to be complete douchebags... especially 'bama fans. one guy in a wake forest room... wake forest, of all places... yeah, they still have a team... wished covid on us. but as a whole... most fans are good folks who, like us, just like to argue football good naturedly. so thanks to all.
But do the actual research and data crunching to form your opinion on the whole, “Big 12 doesn’t play defense” thing. There was a time not that long ago where this was absolutely true. But the last couple of years that has not been the case when compared to the other Power 5 conferences.

Look what LSU did last year in the mighty SEC. They weren’t some juggernaut defense but did get better toward the end of the year. However, they won by putting up video game numbers. Clemson had a great defense last year and LSU made them look like a joke.

Oklahoma losing in big games is what hurts the perception of the Big 12 the most. They are just more talented on offense then the rest of the conference, and over a full conference slate they tend to come out on top but typically drop a game. They only make the playoffs typically because of record and name and because they need someone to be in #4 spot. The last few years it’s been Clemson and Bama and everyone else (LSU the outlier last year). Ohio State is just the single team that is on the echelon but other than that the Big 10 isn’t anything special either.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Basically the story is that Iowa State used to be the Cardinals. Then a long time ago (during the days of Pop Warner being our coach I think) there had been a series of “cyclones” (tornadoes) that hit the Midwest. Shortly after ISU played Northwestern and kicked the crap out of them and the Chicago tribune said ISU came in like an Iowa Cyclone. Everyone seemed to like it and they made the change. The mascot continues to be a cardinal because you can’t really put someone in a tornado costume and tell them to spin around all game.
In the old days the color was often the nickname, like the Harvard Crimson or Dartmouth Big Green...I don't think we were ever the Cardinals (birds) but we did, however have cardinal and gold as our colors.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you believe the big 12 is barely a P5 now, how about the big ten, they rarely send a team to the championship. Many people outside think big ten games are good nap times. They think it’s 1940 still offensively.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Part of the reason that the Big 12 for so many years had basketball scores was because most of the league was running jet paced offenses with 10 to 15 more offensive plays per game than pretty much every non-Big 12 team out there. When you looked at points per play the Big 12 was comparable to most of the rest of the Power 5. Those jet paces also tax the defenses tremendously resulting in some inflation of scores as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here is the current points per play.

Note that the first Big 12 entry is Texas at #8 (behind 3 Big 10 teams and 2 SEC teams). Texas numbers are inflated by playing in 6 overtimes already this season. Your points per play will generally get inflated when you add in a half dozen possessions from the 25 yard line.

Next Big 12 team is OU at #12. Between Texas and Oklahoma sit two ACC teams. Texas has played in 4 overtimes inflating their points per play.

The next Big 12 team is K State at #18. Between OU and K State there is one Big 10 team and an ACC team.

If you want to go one further, Iowa State sits at #26. Between K State and ISU there is one Big 10 team and one ACC team (Notre Dame is this year).

So it certainly looks like the Big 12 is in line with the other conference as far as defense goes since they don't have a bunch of teams scoring a whole bunch more than teams from other conferences.

Reactions: CySmurf

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Asking me to defend my assertions is fair. my first observation is that half of the games wind up with basketball scores.

but as a whole... most fans are good folks who, like us, just like to argue football good naturedly. so thanks to all.

1. You make assertions in a "Power" ranking based on scores yet you rank two teams in your top 20 with no scores at all. That's duplicitous, no? You pick nits about B12's lack of "Power" based upon high scores (which equates to bad defense, I guess) yet the team at #20 allowed 36 points in their fist game and 38 points in their second game...and they were both LOSSES.

2. There's nothing good natured about intimating that the B12 is not a P5 conferences. Especially since UNL and that twat Jim Delany set about to destabilize our conference with their b*tch@ssed defection 10 years ago. That put ISU and KSU at legitimate risk of relegation.

Your Power Ranking is just more B1G/SEC noise.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
How on God's green earth do you put Michigan and Penn State in the top-25 at this moment? Penn State is winless and Michigan just lost at home to MSU who got beat down by Rutgers.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This dude is a Hawkeye troll. His first post is a link to his "Official" power rankings that he posts from his basement. There is nothing official about them at all.

Reactions: BCClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This dude is a Hawkeye troll. His first post is a link to his "Official" power rankings that he posts from his basement. There is nothing official about them at all.
Also, any rational CFB fan doesn't drop Clemson to #3 after their best player and the future Heisman winner sits out.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It is either just trolling or idiocy to trash the Big 12 as a whole unless you state everything other than the SEC West is not a power conference. Power ranking systems like Sagarin with hundreds of data points over several years have consistently put the Big 12 up with the SEC West and sometimes the Big 10 East as the strongest conference divisions. Meanwhile the Big 10 West has been duking it out with the PAC and American.

Fortunately the Sagarins of the world do research beyond “Ohio State and Clemson have been better than Oklahoma, so they are in better conferences.” Granted the last time OSU played Oklahoma, the Sooners handled OSU pretty easily.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CycloneUnderdog

Sep 8, 2020
Can't speak for the whole conference but it gets annoying to be lumped in with other teams that have as good of defenses. We have talent and cohesion. The SEC has plenty of high totals these days as well.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If the Big 12 barely registers as a P5 conference, I'd be curious as where the PAC12 sits in their opinion.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
actually its my basement in wisconsin. and no, no one's paying us. its a project my kids and i are doing together while were all cooped up because of this damn virus. schools in our town are shut down and i own a bar... so yeah. lot of spare time. not experts... just a family full of football geeks. observation and a question for you guys... that isu helmet we used in there is amazing. they should switch back immediately. and why, being the cyclones, did they at one point have a cardinal on their helmet?
Cheeses H Crackers...