***Official Iowa State V. Iowa Wrestling Thread***

IowaHawks

Nov 11, 2009
Well a pretty good meet tonight. Varner is by far the best isu wrestler. Isu will have a great season and me being a Hawk fan wishes them good luck. Hawks found a way to win tonight, now wish I could say the same for our basketball team haha. Go Hawks!

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Well a pretty good meet tonight. Varner is by far the best isu wrestler. Isu will have a great season and me being a Hawk fan wishes them good luck. Hawks found a way to win tonight, now wish I could say the same for our basketball team haha. Go Hawks!

The thing I loved was after Varners match, he was staring at Brands and winked. And then still continued to look him down as he walked off the mat. The difference between Varner and the rest of the team is that he never get flustered and seems to have things under control even if he is losing,

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The thing I loved was after Varners match, he was staring at Brands and winked. And then still continued to look him down as he walked off the mat. The difference between Varner and the rest of the team is that he never get flustered and seems to have things under control even if he is losing,

He almost never loses. I love watching the guy. So dominant.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Not so much a Dual Tournament, but they host a day of Duals at Carver. They wrestled Coe, Cornell, SIU-Edwardsville and UNC Pembroke. My Kohawks gave them the closest match at 39-3.
Who won for Coe? I figured Ty Burkle could take M* at 165 but M* was still undefeated. Go NL.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Who won for Coe? I figured Ty Burkle could take M* at 165 but M* was still undefeated. Go NL.

It was Sophomore Dale Handley at 157. Burkle doesn't wrestle 165 anymore. He has moved up to 184 and is doing pretty well there. Here is the match results. I think it just shows how good wrestling is in Iowa from top to Bottom. Coe is #3 in Division III.

University of Iowa 39, Coe College 3
125 ‐ Matt McDonough (I) tech. fall Clayton Rush (C), 18‐3 in 5:29
133 ‐ Daniel Dennis (I) pinned Bryan Telgenhoff (C), 2:46
141 ‐ Dan LeClere (I) maj. dec Jordan Westfall (C), 14‐4
149 ‐ Brent Metcalf (I) pinned Mark Carey (C), 1:45
157 ‐ Dale Handley (C) dec. Jake Kerr (I), 4‐3
165 ‐ Ryan Morningstar (I) dec. Nick LeClere (C), 6‐5
174 ‐ Jay Borschel (I) pinned Seth Rehn (C), 1:25
184 ‐ Phillip Keddy (I) dec. Tyler Burkle (C), 8‐6
197 ‐ Chad Beatty (I) dec. Rob Kramer (C), 11‐5
Hwt. ‐ Jordan Johnson (I) dec. Mitch Sander (C), 6‐1

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
we at least looked like the #2 team in the country tonight, 2 pt loss off a really dumb pin, not bad. Shows more than I've seen in 3 years from this squad

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I was wondering about the conditioning of Nick Fanthorpe. It was great to see him out there but I wonder if he ran out of gas. He had near fall points in the first period but maybe just tired toward the end.

Even though we lost I came away pretty optimistic about our chances in March.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Don't mistake bad conditioning for lack of aggressiveness.

We came out at 125 and 133 and started well in the first period. Both times Long and Fanthorpe ran out of gas in the 2nd and in to the 3rd.

At this point in the year I wouldnt be too worried about conditioning.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Because at least one of the Iowa assistants made that same motion earlier in the night towards the ISU bench.

yeah, it's that breaking a stick thing they do now. I saw the Iowa assistant do it early in the meet but he was doing it to his own wrestler during a match. Probably to get him fired up. I saw Jake do it toward the Iowa bench after his match.

By the way, I actually thought Tom Brands was the voice of reason on the Hawk bench last night. A couple times he was even trying to keep his brother from running out on the mat.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
yeah, it's that breaking a stick thing they do now. I saw the Iowa assistant do it early in the meet but he was doing it to his own wrestler during a match. Probably to get him fired up. I saw Jake do it toward the Iowa bench after his match.

By the way, I actually thought Tom Brands was the voice of reason on the Hawk bench last night. A couple times he was even trying to keep his brother from running out on the mat.

So Varner thought it would be classy to do it at the Iowa bench? :confused:

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006

I don't think it was anything too vindictive because noone seemed too upset about it. I think there is a lot of respect between the participants judging from what I've heard first hand from both sides.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

Don't make it something it isn't. Iowa wrestling and class are words you will never find next to each other in the dictionary.

That said, I was mostly impressed with their demeanor last night. As previously mentioned, Tom was actually the cool headed one most of the night.

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
Iowa gets Erickson back

But Nick and Nick will get better

I am not sure Ward can win again though

Both teams need a 157 pounder

Where is Nate Carr JR?