***Official Iowa State V. Iowa Wrestling Thread***

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
How often has Z scored bonus points for us in the past? If tonight is indicative of his usual output, that could hurt us down the stretch.
Dude, have you followed our program over the last couple years? Z has had some of the bigger wins for this team than anyone. I'm talking the kind of wins that are for conference championships.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I understand. My point is you are asking a lot out of him to get a pin vs Iowa's guy, unless he somehow took him down to his back. He is a good HW.

I agree with you. I took it that you were saying Z isn't capable of getting bonus points because he's light. If he was heavier, his style would be drastically different than it is.

Guys like Steve Mocco might have something to say about that.
Mocco is an exception, not the rule.

BigDogCyclone

Nov 22, 2006
Westerville, OH
Dude, have you followed our program over the last couple years? Z has had some of the bigger wins for this team than anyone. I'm talking the kind of wins that are for conference championships.

I have, but I don't have Z's match-by-match scoring analysis right in front of me. Winning matches is one thing, but I asked about his tendency for scoring bonus points. If we are only in situations where we are down by two and a simple decision will win it for us, then great.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
glad to see the cyclones wrestling more aggressively. i think we have the right coach to improve the program as long as he can recruit IOWA'S best wrestlers and ARIZONA'S top wrestlers. coach jackson will be ten times the coach that bobby douglas was.i think he will develop a potent wrestling squad in the coming years.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Tech fall is worth 5, so we would've tied but they still would've "won" because in the event of a tie, the team with the most falls (or pins) would win, and Iowa had 1 to our 0. We needed a pin to get the W.
Not true a tie is a tie in a dual, no criteria for regular duals. Only in dual-tournament (National Duals) situations where someone needs to advance. OU and OSU tied earlier this week in their dual. You only get 4 points for a tech fall unless you have back points than it is 5. Mueller did have back points against him but wanted to clarify.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
By NO means am I a wrestling fan but I couldnt turn away from the TV during this dual I was actually on edge watching the match having no idea the scoring....

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
How often has Z scored bonus points for us in the past? If tonight is indicative of his usual output, that could hurt us down the stretch.
Z uses his smaller stature to out shape and out quick the bigger guys, he wins a lot of matches in SV. He uses the early periods to wear down the bigger opponents. I think this style hurts as the year winds down because the bigger guys take longer to get in shape and at the end of the year he does not have as big of an advantage.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I dont know that Z has ever scored many bonus points. He is notorious for SV victories but he seems to win more than he loses. Just a antacid attack everytime he wrestles.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Would have been a great win - but pleased on the most part - determination is there. Nationals will be a hell of a race.

Keep'em going Coach J, you are on the right path.

National Champions - Iowa State Cyclones - bring it back home.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
we lost by 2. Got down early and couldnt make it back. Big win by Ward kept us in but light weights went the wrong the way.