*** Official IOWA STATE vs #19 Clemson Cheez-It Bowl Game(Day) Thread ***

mp444

Nov 4, 2014
It's still remarkable to me how much more solid the ISU football program has become. They were 1 drive away from overtime against a (slightly down) blue blood and were playing without probably the best running back and best linebacker in the conference (maybe the country?). Also, had one of the best receivers in the conference severely limited. And it's not like they were in the game due to multiple fluke plays. This is a definite improvement over the Notre Dame bowl game and a tremendous improvement over Iowa State during most of my fandom.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
They were 10 of 19 on 3rd/4th down. We were 6 of 16. Difference in the game is we couldn’t convert on offense and couldn’t get off the field on defense.

Purdy missing Allen for what should have been an early touchdown and missing wide open Noel left at least 4 - maybe 8 - points in the board. So many what-ifs on defensive 3rd downs as well.

Did not like the play calling, but could have beat them tonight with some better execution.

Offensive efficiency has to improve. Lousy on third down because we are in too many third and longs. Absolutely no offensive rhythm. Stupid pre snap penalties way too often.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ha. Highlights on right now. They call it Clemson/Iowa to start.

That last play was just....so...bad.

Reactions: Cassie

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Honestly though, I'm bummed but not upset, especially with studs like Breece and Mike out, along with X not being able to go 100%, it's whatever. We didn't get blown out like we did last time we played in this bowl which was nice, and our 2s showed they belong on the field. I'm mostly worried about our O-line and corners for next year, (and playcalling) but should be back bowling again next year at the minimum. Now for the long dreaded offseason. WE HAVE BASKETBALL AT LEAST THIS YEAR!!!! :D
I'm definitely concerned about the O-line. Our corners are actually pretty good.

Reactions: quasistellar

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We gain 6 inches on our QB and lose an NFL running back. Really worried about running back, TE and receivers will be decent, need stellar OL play to go to a bowl next year.

I’m not worried about RB at all for some reason. We won’t be as loaded as this year obviously, but Brock is really solid, Silas is lightning quick, and Sanders can do it all IMO. IF they have blocking , they will be very good IMO.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
They were 10 of 19 on 3rd/4th down. We were 6 of 16. Difference in the game is we couldn’t convert on offense and couldn’t get off the field on defense.

Purdy missing Allen for what should have been an early touchdown and missing wide open Noel left at least 4 - maybe 8 - points in the board. So many what-ifs on defensive 3rd downs as well.

Did not like the play calling, but could have beat them tonight with some better execution.

Or, with Breece and a healthy X.

Reactions: BCClone

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I’m not worried about RB at all for some reason. We won’t be as loaded as this year obviously, but Brock is really solid, Silas is lightning quick, and Sanders can do it all IMO. IF they have blocking , they will be very good IMO.
It all starts up front.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Or, with Breece and a healthy X.
X being out has been the most understated factor in this game. Still could have won it with better QB play and defensive stops om 3rd down, but we’re not very dynamic on offense with our Breece and X. All you really have to do is guard Kolar.

Reactions: quasistellar

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
X being out has been the most understated factor in this game. Still could have won it with better QB play and defensive stops om 3rd down, but we’re not very dynamic on offense with our Breece and X. All you really have to do is guard Kolar.

Oddly ISU wasn't terribly dynamic on offense with Hall and X so it didn't look that different tonight.

Lots of yards, plenty of points, but just not at the times when it's most needed.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer