*** Official IOWA STATE vs #7 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Unpopular opinion: I don't care if these guys lose on Thursday in Kansas City, whoever we play. I think they would benefit more from extra rest going into the NCAAs than some other ISU teams of the past.
Similar thoughts. Hard to string together wins.....save them for some.non-big 12!

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
The best part of the win is no player on the team did anything amazing that they can’t do every night. Not like they made 15 threes or anything. The 3 keys were sharing the basketball and making Baylor work so hard to score and rebounding. I don’t remember a single Baylor fast break.
So many played well, but Jaren was the difference running the point today. Hit that floater and passed to guys for great looks. Tamin will do that better next year, hopefully. Great job by Ward, too. That HAS to be a fun plane ride home. They deserve it.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
And don't think the players didn't use the 'theres 3 NBA players in BU's backcourt' as fuel for today's win. Plenty already on the line, but going out & *****-slapping BU had to feel frickin awesome for those guys.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Talked about how Watson, King, etc have been good teammates and haven't complained about playing time.
Talked about how the coaches did a good job scouting and with the gameplan.
Also told Eric he always appreciates the interview and has all year.

Kinda wish he would have said 'there's folks out there that don't know WTF they're talking about and we're not video game characters' but that sounds like a more well thought out approach.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
I really wonder if it was a deal where Caleb was insisting on playing thru the injury. TJ finally put his foot down, Caleb didn't like it and said something out of character. Or maybe many things out of character, considering he did sit out a handful of games down the stretch
Not likely we will ever know. From the outside it did look like Caleb was not being realistic about his level of physical impediment and need for recovery time. Pain and meds not helping his mental state may have clouded his judgment. His demise has been heartbreaking. So happy the team got to finish the regular season on a positive note. They deserve it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Where has Tre King been all my life?

And a little worried that Gabe played 38 minutes? Played well and I guess maybe that’s ok since we had a Monday game and we’re now out of the 7-10. But I like seeing more of both Kings, Watson, and Ward. Hoping Gabe has a lot of games left!

Reactions: RezClone

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Unpopular opinion: I don't care if these guys lose on Thursday in Kansas City, whoever we play. I think they would benefit more from extra rest going into the NCAAs than some other ISU teams of the past.
We needed at least one win to gain some confidence back, and that’s what we got today. Tend to agree that now rest might be more important, but if we play Texas then I want the W lol

Reactions: Die4Cy

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Not trying to diminish our win, but Baylor looked like absolute poo today.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Just an absolutely awesome win for the program.

Baylor, is extremely talented, has been one of the hottest teams in the country over the 2nd half of conference play and has the 6th best odds to win the national championship. After two tough home losses by the Cyclones and following one of the hardest weeks as a team. Iowa State just beat Baylor by 15, on senior day, in their own arena.

That's coaching, that's culture, that's leadership. That's also why you get guys who understand the aspect of a team, are coachable, and are genuinely good people. Great job by the staff and great job by the guys on this team.

In my opinion, this win makes a 6-seed the floor in the NCAA tourney. Iowa State is viewed highly by the committee and I think this win erases a good deal of the "late-season dysfunction" narrative. Likely a 5 right now. One or two wins in KC likely puts them back in the discussion for a 4.

Amazing work by this staff and team, looking forward to a couple post season runs!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

And a little worried that Gabe played 38 minutes? Played well and I guess maybe that’s ok since we had a Monday game and we’re now out of the 7-10. But I like seeing more of both Kings, Watson, and Ward. Hoping Gabe has a lot of games left!

What are we saving him for? Lol.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Baylor's guards are great shooters and scorers but not as big or as physical as the guards on other teams. Much better matchup for our defense and not as much ball pressure on our offense
When teams HAVE to, want to, win, they play better. Baylor didn't have to win today. ISU didn't have to win last week with WV. Not that either had to win today to go dancing, but WV wanted to win last week and ISU today.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The best part of the win is no player on the team did anything amazing that they can’t do every night. Not like they made 15 threes or anything. The 3 keys were sharing the basketball and making Baylor work so hard to score and rebounding. I don’t remember a single Baylor fast break.
What you're saying can't be understated. What they did today seems very repeatable. Bizarre to see Hawley and King out there, but hey, it worked

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Entirely necessary for Gabe to play 38 min the rest of the way, I think. It's asking a lot, but at least it's just for the stretch run and this isn't January or February. Time to put it all on the line