*** Official IOWA STATE vs Ohio Game(Day) Thread ***

Apr 22, 2023
Just like when I attended ISU, by the third game we held up signs
"when does the basketball season start?"
From then on, tailgated the whole time in the parking lot.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
I’m so glad I’m going to waste a day of PTO, 5 hours driving and an entire weekend to go see this team play in Norman. Might lose that one by 70
The Campbell's era loses have been close due to John Heacock, which gives a false sense thay Campbell is a good coach. The more blowouts will get him out of town faster

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Hideous. May as well run the 2 minute offense all year. It won't win any games but maybe avoid shutouts. Going to be a long, ugly season.

Hoxsuck

Nov 27, 2020
“Bad bounces, illness and field goal struggles overshadow growth by young Cyclones.”

“Cyclone offense ready to build off that one drive they had against that MAC team.”
I am so proud of the effort of our young team when they were not feeling well and the other team’s 37 fans said mean things.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
So, that ball should not have been caught. Rocco played well but that is a young QB who got read by a DB and can't stare down the receiver. He played well but that's just a young mistake. Maybe PI, but the DB clearly read him.

Overall thoughts

- I'd bench Miller, Hufford, Simmons. I'd leave Neal and Bonifas as they're new but the last 3 have started long enough to know they are bad / not good. The others might be worse but they deserve a chance.

- If I'm a young skill player who doesn't play much this season - they might rethink their options. Because it's gotta to be hard, not just at QB but for all the young players, Gaines, Hansen, and young offensive linemen to look at there, see this, see yourself not playing, and think "I'm better than that". Sucks but th at's the reality.

- I'd start Bitter and keep throwing to him. The TE's are okay. Higgins and Noel are OK.

- I'd honestly play Hansen and Sama more at RB. Yes, Norton runs hard and is a load to bring down. But we just don't have any explosiveness . He's a perfect 3rd down and short yardage back. IDK about every down back.... of course that's hard to tell given how crap the OL is.

- A positive surprise was Rocco's deep ball. Did very well with that.
- A Negative surprise was he looked slow on scrambles, like, when he broke the pocket.
- 1st interception, not on him, receiver fell.
- 2nd, possible PI, but you can see the safety reading him. Just a young mistake. He'll learn.

- This is why I disliked the UNI game from an offensive standpoint. I hate it but there were read warning flags that game that the defensive and ST dominance covered up. And made us more optimistic, myself included.

- I wouldn't trust CMC and the offensive staff to evaluate talent and their best 11. That's the tough part.

-And I don't know how the heck you talk all about self reflection, understanding the need to change, then come out and run the same dang offense with just two different positional coaches / OC. That makes no sense.

- If we had a competent offense the last 2 1/2 years - we'd have won 21-24 games at the end of this year. Right now, we've won 12 and unless magic happens, I doubt we get over 15. And that might be a stretch.

this hurts. A lot. But this offense is worse than Iowa's. I don't think the players are worse, but the way we approach it, its worse.

Tojo1311

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Just pray there is a come to Jesus discussion like the defense had a few years ago before Heacock switched over……Having said that I’m not expecting anything to change. At this point it’s watching the the definition of insanity saying with what the offense tries to do every game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
23 carries for 38 yards
…mostly as Ohio was controlling the game…and the reason we have so few plays ever game

24 pass attempts for 233 yards
…only time in the game we moved the ball and half of the attempts in final minutes of game

It’s that simple.

You cannot build your universe around something you suck at and be too stubborn to adjust until the five minute mark.

If you take out Becht scrambling on pass plays we had 11 yards on 13 carries.

Ohio dominated us on the ground because they threw the ball more and they got more QB scrambling yards. Yards ISU finally got late too when we stopped telegraphing run every single first and second down.

I don’t mind being a run first team…but these are some STUPID MOTHER F***ers to not adjust until the 5 or 6 minute mark. It ain’t working. Adjust at the opening kickoff next week, not in the second half.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
When is this staff going to figure out that we no longer have Hall to give the ball too and make something out of nothing?

Over and over we play right into the hands off the defense, refusing to leave it all out there and attack, instead we play field position, and wait for the turnover. Today we were a -2 in TO,

When we throw the ball down field, good things happen, but instead of opening it up, we ran for 38 rushing yards on 23 attempts for a whole 1.7 average.

If a coach like Nick Saban can grow and change, maybe it's time that Campbell does the same, without it, this team will struggle to win 2 more games.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron