<<Official Movie Talk Thread>>

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Was just going to @ you, I've always enjoyed your reviews/insight in the movie threads you've started.

Thank you! I may not love all the blockbuster fare (I do often though) but I am a movie nut and love tracking Oscar buzz for some reason. I’m sure my tastes and posts aren’t for everyone. Just try to bring in some indie/unknown movies to the fans here.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thank you! I may not love all the blockbuster fare (I do often though) but I am a movie nut and love tracking Oscar buzz for some reason. I’m sure my tastes and posts aren’t for everyone. Just try to bring in some indie/unknown movies to the fans here.

Hey, this thread is for everyone, including you. While I'm not the biggest Oscar nut, I do watch in general a fair amount of all types of movies, including a fair amount of indie ones as well as most the Oscar nominated ones. My biggest hurdle with talking Oscars always is the fact that I typically don't catch most of the nominated ones until they come out on Blu-ray, which is usually well after the Oscars. While I get why those Oscar films always release so late in the year in order for the buzz to drive ticket sales, I've always thought that fact kills interest in viewership in the Oscars simply by way of the fact that all the talk is about a bunch of movies barely any of the audience has seen yet.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought that at first, but I rewatched it the other day when it came on. It contained a lot of mindless action, but it had its moments. To be fair, I have vastly different levels of expectations for different genres. I'm not going into any action movie expecting to be wowed by the story. There are always plot holes along with a high level of suspended reality.

I'll likely be the poster in this thread to completely avoid once Oscar talk surfaces. ;)

Like when The Rock leaped from one high rise to another?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It just showed at Telluride I think and the reviews were meh. But it's on Netflix and I'll watch it.
There are several Netflix movies this year that many critics are saying will ultimately end up getting a Best Picture nomination. In the history of the Oscars only one movie has ever been nominated...Roma last year. There is absolutely 0% chance that 5 or 6 Netflix movies make up the total of Oscar Best Pic noms. Zero.

The Irishman and Marriage Story are by far the best bets. I nothing else will make it.
I didn't realize the Irishman was Netflix only, you're right that will be the best bet if that is the case. I'll still give The King a watch, I'm a fan of timothee chalamet, but that's too bad to hear it didn't receive great reviews.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Not excited about too many movies. Seems like all there is is animated, sequels or animated movies with real actors. I want to see 'Angel has fallen' before it leaves theaters and upcoming maybe 'Judy' (about Judy Garland starring Renee Zellweger), 'Brian Banks' and '21 Bridges'.

21 Bridges looks super dope, especially knowing it was produced by the Russo Bros (Endgame Directors)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I thought that at first, but I rewatched it the other day when it came on. It contained a lot of mindless action, but it had its moments. To be fair, I have vastly different levels of expectations for different genres. I'm not going into any action movie expecting to be wowed by the story. There are always plot holes along with a high level of suspended reality.

I'll likely be the poster in this thread to completely avoid once Oscar talk surfaces. ;)
The competition movie, White House Down, was really bad.

"Did you see my routine?" Oh, barf.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
<<Non-Spoiler>> Saw IT: Chapter 2 last night and I've got to admit I walked away just thinking it was just okay. While much of the new adult casting was spot-on great, I found the movie to be over-long and boring at times with its 2 hour and 40 minute runtime. For the most part, I'd say it wasn't the directing or acting at fault, but rather the writing. I've never read the book, so I don't know how difficult of a story it is to adapt from page to screen, but I couldn't help but feel how they did adapt it turned out to be pretty clunky. There was a big chunk in the middle I really did not like what and how they were doing it. Regardless, at its best, the movie had some great performances by Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader, and James Mcavoy. They were spectacular. Bill Hader in particular stole the show and he couldn't have fit his child-actor counterpart any better. Past them, a couple of the others were pretty good while a couple others were borderline poor to bad. As for scares, I found this movie to have more scares. I mean, the movie is 2 hours 40 minutes long, so there has to be more scares. However, on average, I found the first movie to have better scares. Most the second movies' scares were fairly predictable and formulaic. With all this said, while I am really only so-so on this second movie overall and found the first movie to be much better, I'd still recommend people go and check this one out. The performances alone of the leads make it worth it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If anybody goes to a Cinemark theater for It 2 look for these little plush Pennywise I designed. Don't have a good photo on me right now but here's one someone took on their dash. Pretty fun to work on a horror movie license for a change instead of kids/heroes/scifi movies.

66818824_907274249647391_8387185383641698036_n.jpg

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If anybody goes to a Cinemark theater for It 2 look for these little plush Pennywise I designed. Don't have a good photo on me right now but here's one someone took on their dash. Pretty fun to work on a horror movie license for a change instead of kids/heroes/scifi movies.

66818824_907274249647391_8387185383641698036_n.jpg
One looks much more friendly than the other

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ford_v_ferrari

With the Toronto International Film Festival now done, there are lots of reviews streaming out for different movies. The one I'm most intrigued by and keeping my eye on is what is being said about Ford vs Ferrari, which seems very positive so far. You know I love me my Star Wars and superhero movies, but I'm also really excited to see that there is still big Hollywood movies like this one coming out that isn't in those categories. Its weird to say this, but Ford vs. Ferrari might now be my most anticipated movie left on the calendar of this year.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ford_v_ferrari

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, I finally saw MIB: International last night and is it weird to say that I actually enjoyed it??? This is coming from someone too who hasn't enjoyed any of them since the first one, so this one ended up being my second favorite. Maybe it is because I'm a big Chris Hemsworth fan and love his comedy, but I also really liked Tessa Thompson in the movie too. I thought after about the midway point that they really started to develop some good partner chemistry. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts as I know this movie kind of got panned but critics, but I personally watched it wondering why this was panned quite so bad. No, it isn't a masterpiece, but it was definitely worth my time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron