NBA: *** Official NBA Draft Thread ***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Couple interesting positional logjams after last night.

Cavs - Two shoot first PGs in Colin Sexton and Darius Garland.
Pacers - Three skilled bigs now in Turner, Sabonis, and whoever it was that they took last night. Someone's gotta go.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
The bulls continue to disappoint. Not sure if Coby White is a good enough shooter for today's NBA and Daniel Gafford seems to be redrafting Bobby Portis at best.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The bulls continue to disappoint. Not sure if Coby White is a good enough shooter for today's NBA and Daniel Gafford seems to be redrafting Bobby Portis at best.

I'm not a White fan but only for petty reasons involving his terrible performance against Auburn costing me money.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I liked the Coby White pick. Gafford is meh but I am not worried about that. They just need a PG to work out. I think he can be a good shooter, I think his decision making is what needs the most work but he isn't an instant starter. I think they need to target someone in free agency.

• Optimistic
Reactions: discydisc

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
(my opinion)
Draft winners:
Pelicans easily win with Zion and Jaxon Hayes.
Hawks with DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish.
Blazers with Nassir Little at 25.

Draft losers:
Suns with Cam Johnson at 11

I would add Boston to the losers too, not sure what they're trying to do. But I'm with you on the Pelicans and Hawks, really like what both of them are doing. Atlanta going for shooting, shooting and more shooting. They are going to really be able to spread the floor, especially if they bring Dedmon back too. They also will have a ton of cap space available the next few years to try to land a big time free agent to go with the young core. The defensive end of the floor might be questionable for them but they'll be fun to watch for sure.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
So at the end of the day, the NBA barely valued THT's "potential" more than Shayock's already proven consistency and talent. Interesting......

IIRC, 22-23 is considered too old to be drafted. I think that was one of the concerns related to DeAndre Kane. Also, Toronto’s Siakam was widely panned as too old when he was drafted...

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Yeah, seeing the outfits and jewelry on all these poor college kids and their families, makes you question the narrative that they are poor amateurs barely getting by and free college, room, food galore, free medical care are not enough.

It is called getting a loan to buy the stuff. they know they are about to make a Mil or 2. Also, advertisement deals starting for many of them.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Will be interesting to see where Wigs signs; Knicks would seem like a good fit given his history with Barrett and East Coast ties.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Couple interesting positional logjams after last night.

Cavs - Two shoot first PGs in Colin Sexton and Darius Garland.
Pacers - Three skilled bigs now in Turner, Sabonis, and whoever it was that they took last night. Someone's gotta go.
Cavs came out and said that they envision Sexton and Garland as the Easts' Dame-McCollum.. which is a wild thing to say on draft night haha, but makes sense if that is their goal.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Cavs came out and said that they envision Sexton and Garland as the Easts' Dame-McCollum.. which is a wild thing to say on draft night haha, but makes sense if that is their goal.

Yeah, good luck with that. I think it's far more likely that Sexton has been dealt somewhere else by the end of next season but we'll see.

Reactions: srjclone

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

I have no idea what kind of player Garland will turn out to be, but yeah that's setting up some real high expectations. I thought the Dylan Windler first round pick was real interesting by Cleveland too, I'm guessing Beilein was behind that, he seems like just his type of player. Him and Sexton are gonna get a lot of chances to learn how to defend pick and rolls next year though because teams are going to be targeting those two all the time.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
They aren't well run. But a team with LeBron and Anthony Davis is not poorly run.

I don't think having those two guys proves anything, LeBron wanted to be in LA and Klutch wanted AD there too. They ruined their season last year with trying to trade for AD, they still gave up a ton this summer, they botched the details of it to not get room for another max guy, the pick protections on their future pick look like it was a deal between a veteran GM and a guy in over his head, their President of Basketball Ops quit unexpectedly during a press conference and then spent the next few weeks doing interviews bashing the GM, their coaching search ended up on their third of fourth option and a weird Frank Vogel - Jason Kidd dynamic, they had three consecutive number two overall picks and came away with basically nothing while watching one of them who they gave away for nothing turn into an All-Star. They picked Javale McGee over Brook Lopez last year, they signed the weirdest group of non shooters and questionable locker room guys to surround LeBron, They gave away a solid young, big Ivan Zubac to the Clippers without them even asking for him to clear room for Mike Muscala of all people when they could have just cut Beasley instead. Other than all that...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
You can add the Wizards to the Losers list. Rui Hachimura had no business going in the top ten. I thought there were better options there.

I took a quick look at some of the post-draft grades by various media --- Hachimura consistently graded C-minus or lower (I think one even has it as an F). De’Andre Hunter at #4 got consensus low marks, too, although I think CBS Sports gave it a B or something.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't think having those two guys proves anything, LeBron wanted to be in LA and Klutch wanted AD there too. They ruined their season last year with trying to trade for AD, they still gave up a ton this summer, they botched the details of it to not get room for another max guy, the pick protections on their future pick look like it was a deal between a veteran GM and a guy in over his head, their President of Basketball Ops quit unexpectedly during a press conference and then spent the next few weeks doing interviews bashing the GM, their coaching search ended up on their third of fourth option and a weird Frank Vogel - Jason Kidd dynamic, they had three consecutive number two overall picks and came away with basically nothing while watching one of them who they gave away for nothing turn into an All-Star. They picked Javale McGee over Brook Lopez last year, they signed the weirdest group of non shooters and questionable locker room guys to surround LeBron, They gave away a solid young, big Ivan Zubac to the Clippers without them even asking for him to clear room for Mike Muscala of all people when they could have just cut Beasley instead. Other than all that...

Yeah, organizationally they're a mess. One that just happens to be in a highly desirable location.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I took a quick look at some of the post-draft grades by various media --- Hachimura consistently graded C-minus or lower (I think one even has it as an F). De’Andre Hunter at #4 got consensus low marks, too, although I think CBS Sports gave it a B or something.

I like the Hunter pick. Nice high floor, low ceiling pick. He might never be an All Star but it's not hard to see him as a ten year guy and a starter or key rotation guy on a playoff contender.