***Official NBA Playoffs Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Brad Stevens goes right on being called a "great coach". Why?

I don't know about great, but I do think he's very good. In four years with Boston he's pieced together some pretty good teams composed of castoffs, rookies, and trade assets. But that'll only take you so far. I'd like to see what he can do with a true franchise player. Horford and Thomas are good players but not guys a team should build around.
FWIW, I don't necessarily believe the Celtics decision makers are all in on seriously competing right now. If they were, they would have cashed in some of their assets at midseason and got something done for Butler, Paul George, or even Boogie Cousins. I think they're looking at those Nets picks and thinking that if they draft the right guys they're set up to own the East for the next ten years.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I don't know about great, but I do think he's very good. In four years with Boston he's pieced together some pretty good teams composed of castoffs, rookies, and trade assets. But that'll only take you so far. I'd like to see what he can do with a true franchise player. Horford and Thomas are good players but not guys a team should build around.
FWIW, I don't necessarily believe the Celtics decision makers are all in on seriously competing right now. If they were, they would have cashed in some of their assets at midseason and got something done for Butler, Paul George, or even Boogie Cousins. I think they're looking at those Nets picks and thinking that if they draft the right guys they're set up to own the East for the next ten years.

Agreed they are waiting out the LeBron James Era and Ainge wants to peak when he declines. The best way to get Stevens that super star is using the gift of Nets picks and get the difference maker.
Only problem with this plan is they still don't have their superstar and even if they get him this year or next they likely will take a couple of years to hit their prime.
Added complication now there are other teams rising in the East like the Bucks who may be ready to assume that position in a couple of years and they may have the window closed.
I am not saying getting George or Butler would have solved their issues because they would have had to give up the Nets pick(s) and current players to get them. Waiting though isn't a guarantee and we'll see how those picks end up. If they get 4 this year for instance Boston fans will be upset.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Agreed they are waiting out the LeBron James Era and Ainge wants to peak when he declines. The best way to get Stevens that super star is using the gift of Nets picks and get the difference maker.
Only problem with this plan is they still don't have their superstar and even if they get him this year or next they likely will take a couple of years to hit their prime.
Added complication now there are other teams rising in the East like the Bucks who may be ready to assume that position in a couple of years and they may have the window closed.
I am not saying getting George or Butler would have solved their issues because they would have had to give up the Nets pick(s) and current players to get them. Waiting though isn't a guarantee and we'll see how those picks end up. If they get 4 this year for instance Boston fans will be upset.

But if Boston drafts well, they'll have more flexibility than any other team coming up in the East. It's very possible that in four years they have Jaylen Brown, Fultz/Ball, and another likely top three pick in the 2018 draft all on their rookie deals plus whatever they can get for Isaiah Thomas, assuming they decide to deal him before he hits free agency after next season (it's either that, let him leave in free agency for nothing, or give up all that flexibility to sign him to a long term max deal).

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
But if Boston drafts well, they'll have more flexibility than any other team coming up in the East. It's very possible that in four years they have Jaylen Brown, Fultz/Ball, and another likely top three pick in the 2018 draft all on their rookie deals plus whatever they can get for Isaiah Thomas, assuming they decide to deal him before he hits free agency after next season (it's either that, let him leave in free agency for nothing, or give up all that flexibility to sign him to a long term max deal).

I agree but each of those Nets picks aren't guaranteed to be elite, They had a great chance at Simmons or Ingram ended up at 3 and picked Brown. Jaylen is solid but far from a sure thing. It is possible that the next two picks end up at 4 or later too and then they lose a lot of value they have currently. It is fun to speculate and I'm actually excited to see the Lottery in a few weeks. (especially with the Lakers possibly get a top 3 pick or nothing).

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

You're giving Ainge waaaaay too much credit.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Boston came up with a series saving win tonight. I only caught a little bit of the second half, but it looked like the Bulls really missed Rondo. And they got an off night from Jimmy Butler. They need more than 14 points on 21 shots from him.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Boston came up with a series saving win tonight. I only caught a little bit of the second half, but it looked like the Bulls really missed Rondo. And they got an off night from Jimmy Butler. They need more than 14 points on 21 shots from him.
Rondo attempting to trip Crowder while sitting on the bench was bush league.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Have you seen their roster? Sure, Isaiah Thomas is an All Star player, but the rest of the roster? Meh. And they ended up as the #1 seed in the East.

Boston is a good roster for the regular season. They have a lot of quality depth 1-15 that is pretty interchangeable. They are able to with stand players missing time to injuries and rest with out much of a fall off in their replacement and still get wins. They got the one seed but their point differential is more like a 5 seed and it is showing.
The playoff rotations shorten and the best player extend their minute and the reason why the teams with the most All - Pro's usually win. Bulls maybe the 8 seed but Butler is the best player in the series and a healthy post season Wade could be argued to be the second. If the Celtics come back and win the series they'll likely be playing the Wiz and will be in the same situation Wall/Beal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron