***Official NCAA Wrestling Championships Info and Discussion Thread***

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Great team effort to end this season! Lots of positives for a squad that loses only two seniors next year and returns 2 AA and 2 other NCAA qualifiers.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
in the Finals tonight, for the team standings:

125 - we need Illinois to lose
133 - doesn't matter team wise
141 - need Oklahoma to win, Edinboro win will tie us/would pass us with bonus points
149 - doesn't matter team wise
157 - doesn't matter team wise
165 - doesn't matter team wise (Dake going for history)
174 - doesn't matter team wise
184 - doesn't matter team wise
197 - doesn't matter team wise
HWT - doesn't matter team wise

At 141 an Edinburo win with no bonus just ties us. So we would stay top ten. Illinois winning at 125 bumps us to 11th. Northwestern is the only other team that could pass us if both of thir finalists win and they get more than 1 bonus point. Worst we can finish is 13th.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You gotta be happy with this. Things are looking good. This will make me an obvious casual follower but we don't wear the robes at all do we? Has there been talk of bringing that back? I think it would be cool especially if we got back to being a top 5 program

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
You gotta be happy with this. Things are looking good. This will make me an obvious casual follower but we don't wear the robes at all do we? Has there been talk of bringing that back? I think it would be cool especially if we got back to being a top 5 program
Now that you mention it, I don't remember if we still do. I thought we wore them in 04-08 at the beginning of the match (line up handshakes) when I was in college. I remember Iowa and ISU wearing them at their head to head duals when I went to those meets when I lived in Cedar Rapids.

Last edited:

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I really want to see Dake win. That would be amazing to see someone do what he did. Dake is going all Dan Gable at the olympics by not giving up a point. However, does anyone know how the hell Taylor pinned his way to the finals?
Not to be a smart @$$ but have you seen the kid wrestle? He can get people locked up from all positions and can flat out wrestle.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Now that you mention it, I don't remember if we still do. I thought we wore them in 04-08 at the beginning of the match (line up handshakes) when I was in college. I remember Iowa and ISU wearing them at their head to head duals when I went to those meets when I lived in Cedar Rapids.
We don't still wear them, they have basic windbreaker style overlays. Kyven wore his fathers today.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Not to be a smart @$$ but have you seen the kid wrestle? He can get people locked up from all positions and can flat out wrestle.

Actually, I think I saw him wrestle once when they wrestled Iowa. I haven't seen much of his style this weekend and didn't pay attention a few weeks ago when they wrestled on the BTN. I tend to follow the ISU team, follow it closely, and know enough to be knowledgeable about other wrestlers. A lot of my time is spent on ISU, Iowa, and the other Big 12 teams since I don't listen to the radio at work (I can, but don't have the time to) enough to keep up on wrestling as much as I would like.

We don't still wear them, they have basic windbreaker style overlays. Kyven wore his fathers today.

I knew it was his fathers, but I thought we wore them when I was in college, at least part of the time.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I knew it was his fathers, but I thought we wore them when I was in college, at least part of the time.

I remember us wearing them at least into the late 90s. I've seen pictures of Cael in them.

Somebody asked Jackson about them last year and he said the company that made them for us went out of business. So I think we didn' tdecide to stop wearing them so much as we just weren't able to get them anymore.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Like I said I wasn't trying to be a smart --- it was more of holy cow this kid is unreal you need to watch his matches from this tourney to truly understand how good he really is. It's hard to explain in words how he gets kids to make just the slightest mistake and he makes them pay for it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Matches we care about tonight:

At Heavyweight we want Tony Nelson of Minnesota to win over McMullan of Northwestern. That would ensure Northwestern doesn't pass us. If he loses we want it to be by decision.

At 125 we want Megaludis of Penn State to win over Jesse Delgado of Illinois. This is the most important match for us team-wise. Illinois is tied for us in 10th place and any points for them drops us to 11th.

At 141 we went Maple of Oklahoma to win over Port of Edinboro. Or if he loses we want it to be by a decision.

At 157 if McMullan lost at heavyweight we don't care. If he did win we want Welch to lose to St. John of Iowa. Or if he does win we want it to be a normal decision.

If all of these things happen, we stay in 10th place.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Like I said I wasn't trying to be a smart --- it was more of holy cow this kid is unreal you need to watch his matches from this tourney to truly understand how good he really is. It's hard to explain in words how he gets kids to make just the slightest mistake and he makes them pay for it.

Seriously, don't worry about my feelings about it. I knew you meant no harm, was just surprised at how terse it came off. Also, it was the first time I remembered seeing anyone pin their way to the finals, so I was kind of shocked when I realized that's what he did.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
To add even more too the Dake-Taylor hype.. it very well could be to decide the team title. For that to happen Oliver of Ok. State needs to win and then Wright and Megaludis of Penn St. need to lose. Very possible!

Would come down to David Taylor needing to beat Dake for his personal title AND team title for Penn St.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Just got home from being out all day. Looks like it wasn't a good day for us, but still a great tournament. Hope we can hang on to 10th!

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
Wow, who would have thought. Good job this weekend cyclones wrestlers. Well deserved and hard fought 11th place. Hold your heads high. I'm proud of you guys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron