***Official NCAA Wrestling Weekend Thread***

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm watching th eMetcalf match streaming and I was wondering why the refs award the escape when Metcalf is standing holding his opponent's head down when he's still on his knees. The opponent is technically out, but they can't get up with all of the weight on their head. Once the point escape is awarded then metcalf goes in and gets a cheap TD and usually in position for getting back points. PS, this is the same thing he did to Mueller in the duals to get the fall.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Not bursting my bubble, I didn't expect jensen or ward to advance far, but to not make it out of the 1st round is sad in my opinion.

Not sure what you expected - Humphrey from OSU is ranked #4. Jensen was a heavy underdog going into the match.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Not sure what you expected - Humphrey from OSU is ranked #4. Jensen was a heavy underdog going into the match.

You are missing my point. I know Jensen was a heavy underdog, my point is no one on the #2 ranking team in the country should be ranked so low that they have to wrestle such a highly ranked opponent in the 1st round.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Not bursting my bubble, I didn't expect jensen or ward to advance far, but to not make it out of the 1st round is sad in my opinion.

And Ward is going against the #1 seed, and Burk is going against the #10 seed. We were underdogs in at least 3 of the first 10. 9 would be nice, but only seven or eight first round wins should be "expected"...

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
You are missing my point. I know Jensen was a heavy underdog, my point is no one on the #2 ranking team in the country should be ranked so low that they have to wrestle such a highly ranked opponent in the 1st round.

It's a team sport, though. You have to have your best guys step up and get bonus points, and hope for the unseeded guys to do some damage in wrestlebacks. It's nice having all 10 guys here, but it doesn't do much good if they can't beat anybody. And none of them are expected to win when they're going up against ranked wrestlers in the first round. Especially top 5 guys...

Their jobs are to get some points on the back side, while the ranked guys win the titles and get bonus points...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It's a team sport, though. You have to have your best guys step up and get bonus points, and hope for the unseeded guys to do some damage in wrestlebacks. It's nice having all 10 guys here, but it doesn't do much good if they can't beat anybody. And none of them are expected to win when they're going up against ranked wrestlers in the first round. Especially top 5 guys...

Their jobs are to get some points on the back side, while the ranked guys win the titles and get bonus points...

I understand that.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008

Considering that Jensen wasn't even supposed to wrestle this year, he isn't doing too bad. A lot of teams would love to be in a position to have bench guys good enough to qualify for NCAA's.

Iowa has had a lot of years where they were ranked #1 and won the team title, but at least one of their guys didn't even qualify for the tournament.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Sorenson needs to really pick it up and get some points in the consolations. Unfortunately, if he does win his first consolation match he has to wrestle the 11th seed Erisman from Okie State

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
I understand that.

Well, then just a couple other things to consider. We really SHOULD have two highly ranked seniors at 141 and 157, which are arguably are two weakest weights. But, one transferred cuz his big brother left, and the other got hurt. I think the fact that we're still #2 is a testament to the whole team and coach...