Official Non-Crybaby Game Thread

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Most of the guys who play for us belonged on the court with Duke tonight...not everyone was as good as Scheyer or Singler, but we had no business going down the way we did...after 2 1/2 years at ISU, Brackins should be able to know what a good shot is...and we have NO business being this bad of a rebounding team...do I think we are as good as Duke?...no...Am I happy with the way we played tonight?...no...and I don't understand how anyone who's been around the game could be.

Its probably because Ive been to every home game the last 5 years and know how really pathetic we have been. Improvement noted. No point in getting upset when a top 5 team beats us.

I guess I saw DG play pretty well against one of the top PGs in the nation. I saw Gilstrap continue to grow. I was really happy that we scored a lot of points by taking the ball to the hole and getting fouled. That probably is the most exciting thing. I get sick of watching 3 point bombings. Nice to see some guys who can take the ball to the hole.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Its probably because Ive been to every home game the last 5 years and know how really pathetic we have been. Improvement noted. No point in getting upset when a top 5 team beats us.

I guess I saw DG play pretty well against one of the top PGs in the nation. I saw Gilstrap continue to grow. I was really happy that we scored a lot of points by taking the ball to the hole and getting fouled. That probably is the most exciting thing. I get sick of watching 3 point bombings. Nice to see some guys who can take the ball to the hole.

Great post.

This game should show the guys what it takes for them to take that next step. They still really do have a lot to play for.

blazear

Co-Owner
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This was a tough game. I thought we battled hard, my biggest thing was we just need to SLOW DOWN. Although we came back after the start we were always pressing and Duke just took their time and slowed down. I know it can't happen, but I wish Gilstrap had another 20 games under his belt. He is a great talent, but just can't take over a game yet. I think by the end of the year we see a totally different guy.

I know I'm nuts, but I think we can still improve and win a bunch of games. We need to get through these next six games with 3 wins (4 would be great) and then we see where we are.

Reactions: ajk4st8

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
OK, we got beat by 20. I would bet on a given night Duke could beat a 20-25 ranked team by 20. I saw a little improvement in our whole game. We need to get better though, a lot better in a hurry if we want to make the tournament. I really don't see us in the tournament with more than 10 losses. That means we have to beat a lot of good teams within the conference. It will take a lot of effort and some luck, but we have the talent. Do I think it will happen? Meh, doubtful, but it could.

Reactions: ajk4st8

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I actually thought DG played a good game. Played smart for the most part and got to the basket. If ISU can learn to rebound the ball better on the defensive end, that would help them tremendously. Even if you play good defense, allowing a team second chance opportunities hurts you. You can see that Duke plays tremendous defense. Brackins and Gilstrap didn't get good looks at all. Heck, it seemed like Brackins couldn't even get many touches. When he did get some touches, he hurried to get a shot off. A lot of credit to Duke's D.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
The next 11 games will decide the season and are going to be extremely difficult. I believe Iowa State will be favored in only 2 of the next 11 (vs. NDSU, vs. CU). The schedule just sets up horribly to start conference play. It's a tough road ahead, let's hope the fellas can stay above water and stay together.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The next 11 games will decide the season and are going to be extremely difficult. I believe Iowa State will be favored in only 2 of the next 11 (vs. NDSU, vs. CU). The schedule just sets up horribly to start conference play. It's a tough road ahead, let's hope the fellas can stay above water and stay together.

Very true. I was a bit surprised that with the way that part of teh schedule was set up we would agree to this game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
OK, we got beat by 20. I would bet on a given night Duke could beat a 20-25 ranked team by 20. I saw a little improvement in our whole game. We need to get better though, a lot better in a hurry if we want to make the tournament. I really don't see us in the tournament with more than 10 losses. That means we have to beat a lot of good teams within the conference. It will take a lot of effort and some luck, but we have the talent. Do I think it will happen? Meh, doubtful, but it could.

Actually, I think they have done that to ranked teams. I'm not sure where Gonzaga stood at the time, but they lost by 40+.

Duke's only had 2-3 games within 10 this year. If we'd played our game, I think we could've beaten them. But they take everyone out of their game.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
No reason to be negative after this one. Our offense is really coming together and it looks like the team flipped a switched and turned on their hustle and rebounding. Sure Lucca didn't score much, but he was great on defense and did all the little things on offense that he could do. I actually feel like tonite's game was more of a win, than a loss.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
No reason to be negative after this one. Our offense is really coming together and it looks like the team flipped a switched and turned on their hustle and rebounding. Sure Lucca didn't score much, but he was great on defense and did all the little things on offense that he could do. I actually feel like tonite's game was more of a win, than a loss.

You sir have smoked way too much meth. Great on defense... offense coming together. Unbelievable.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
anybody else impressed with the knowledge of bilas and patrick about isu, they usually don't care about who duke plays, and not being negative but how come we struggle so much rebounding, anybody got any solutions?

couldn't stand patrick. The way he was going on about Scheyer I thought maybe Tebow was Duke's PG.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
We lost by 21 to the #5 team.....eh, not gonna complain. Didn't play well sometimes (and first half had some phantom fouls called on us which didn't matter) or most of the 2nd half..but whatever

Anyway, doesn't really matter. I said on an earlier post us losing by 20 was one of three outcomes to the game. Definitely not surprised by the outcome.

If we knew how to rebound better though I guarantee the game would have turned out a lot better

Last edited: