Official Non-Crybaby Game Thread

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
anybody else think duke might be one of the best if not the best defensive teams in the country, they are shutting down an all american player in cb, and we we will have a hard time reaching 70 pts

They shut down Clemson to 12 in the first half, clemson is pretty darn good too.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
8 turnovers in the first 6 and a half minutes in the second half and you are impressed?

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
anybody else think duke might be one of the best if not the best defensive teams in the country, they are shutting down an all american player in cb, and we we will have a hard time reaching 70 pts

Yes. I think everybody gets caught up in the good offense with teams like this, and don't get me wrong, Duke is as good as there is in spacing a team out and taking advantage of what they're given offensively. I really think they're better defensively than offensively though. Great team defense all the way around...if you watch our team I think we've come a ways fundamentally on defense individual-wise (close-outs, on-ball defending), our real shortcoming still is rotation and finishing possessions with a strong rebound. Having seen the amount of time that has needed to be dedicated in practice to individual fundamentals I'm impressed that we're as far along as we are...

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
wow 2 bad foul calls.. this is a good game for us though.. it is really going to make our team better in the long run

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Frankly we could use more games like this in the preconference season and less of the NDSUs and UT-whatevers. It will make us better for the B12 season,

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Frankly we could use more games like this in the preconference season and less of the NDSUs and UT-whatevers. It will make us better for the B12 season,

I think we have about the right mix this year...would have been nice to spread out the Northwestern/UNI/Cal games a little more but other than that we've had a good mix of challenges and easy games. If we can gel here over the next several weeks it'll ease the pain of this one :smile:

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Lol, there is not that big of talent disparity out there...it's just a toughness and discipline disparity...8 to's in 6 and a half minutes, and you are impressed?

I'd say length of time in the program is a lot more of a factor than the talent disparity in this game...you can tell a bigger chunk of Duke's impact guys have been together for a while if you watch their spacing, ball-movement, and rotations.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Lol, there is not that big of talent disparity out there...it's just a toughness and discipline disparity...8 to's in 6 and a half minutes, and you are impressed?

Who on our team do you feel has talent to match up with Duke?

Not athleticism.. basketball talent. Great all around games?

Its not close. Thats why we were 15-17 last year and have lost every meaningful game this year.

Just because our talent is better than last year, doesn't mean we are still close to top 5 teams.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I agree. You don't get better if you don't take the chance.
I agree, hopefully we can learn and improve by playing some of the best. I think Duke is playing at close to the top of their game-we're not there yet by a long shot. But at least there is head room for improvement.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Duke is just a much better team, especially on D, than ISU right now.

It's a great measuring stick for where we are at and what we need to work on to get better.

Also, thank you very much for this thread. It's the first game thread I've actually read on CF in over a year.

CB21

Mar 13, 2009
Sioux Falls
I am amazed by the negativity of everybody in the game thread and would like to read thoughts on the game without wading through 95% crap spewed about our players and coaches...

maybe it's wishful thinking but could we limit it to game talk instead of "so and so shouldn't be in there ever again", "so and so is the worst player ever", "so and so couldn't guard my grandma", "We aren't shooting enough 3's, McDermott sucks", "We're chucking up too many 3's, McDermott sucks", etc

SO far I think we're letting their defense dictate a lot of what we're doing offensively with the exception of DG and SC to some degree. We are doing a good job defensively for the most part but need to finish the possession with the rebound. A lot of the shots they've hit from the outside have been shots we're wanting to give them (posts shooting from the outside), but they're knocking them down...

If we can finish some possessions and get a few of our go-to players to heat up a little bit I think this can go down to the wire...if not we're probably in some trouble...

What are your reasonable, non-coach/player attacking thoughts of the game?

You shouldnt be amazed..its the same people everytime.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
I actually feel better about this team now than I did after any of the last 7 or 8 games. They're showing a lot more intensity,movement, whatever than we've been seeing from them. If we can just bring that intensity to lesser opponents(Duke has looked VERY good tonight), we may have a chance to beat some people. Sure, we're turning the ball over a lot, but I'll give Duke and what they're giving us a lot of credit for that. I like the driving into the lane that we're seeing tonight--hopefully we'll continue to see it even if teams let us shoot the three in the future. Hopefully, this game will make CB mad and he'll start making himself more available for the ball.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Duke is just a much better team, especially on D, than ISU right now.

It's a great measuring stick for where we are at and what we need to work on to get better.

Also, thank you very much for this thread. It's the first game thread I've actually read on CF in over a year.

I agree.. actually discussing things is a lot of fun.

We are still 10-4 with a lot to play for.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I actually feel better about this team now than I did after any of the last 7 or 8 games. They're showing a lot more intensity,movement, whatever than we've been seeing from them. If we can just bring that intensity to lesser opponents(Duke has looked VERY good tonight), we may have a chance to beat some people. Sure, we're turning the ball over a lot, but I'll give Duke and what they're giving us a lot of credit for that. I like the driving into the lane that we're seeing tonight--hopefully we'll continue to see it even if teams let us shoot the three in the future. Hopefully, this game will make CB mad and he'll start making himself more available for the ball.

I agree!

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
You haven't seen an improvement in his outside shot? He was over 50% from 3 last I checked...he's not a lock down guy defensively but I've seen improvement there too. As for the rebounding numbers he now has other players to take some rebounds away too (although the entire team is struggling in this area)

I certainly haven't seen the type of improvement needed for the next level. He won't be able to score on his own, defend any one, let alone grab a rebound at the NBA level imo. He better get 50 against KU.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Most of the guys who play for us belonged on the court with Duke tonight...not everyone was as good as Scheyer or Singler, but we had no business going down the way we did...after 2 1/2 years at ISU, Brackins should be able to know what a good shot is...and we have NO business being this bad of a rebounding team...do I think we are as good as Duke?...no...Am I happy with the way we played tonight?...no...and I don't understand how anyone who's been around the game could be.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Good post, they have a long way to go, but they are making progress.

Mamackey04

Jan 5, 2010
Ames
i think it was a good game to get our players ready for the big 12. Even with the lost i saw a lot of good things, we still have a long way to go with rebounding and free throws. i see this team getting better everytime they take the floor!