***Official Pacers Playoff Thread***

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Boston is playing well and let's be honest, there's no chance the NBA is letting the Pacers go through.
Exactly!! The NBA will be putting it's finger on the scale in the conference finals.. They do not want a Minnesota vs Indiana Finals. Two small market teams with no super stars to the average NBA fan

Here is something wild, the only top 15 salary player in the NBA left in the playoffs is Rudy Gobert.. Luka is T-16, Kyrie is 22, and KAT is T-23..

https://frontofficesports.com/the-25-highest-paid-nba-players-for-2023-24/

A Dallas vs Boston finals is the commissioners hope at this point.

Reactions: cyfanatic

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't want to jinx it but if Indiana pulls off an upset in the ECF, we'll have a year where an ISU QB and ISU PG play for championships in the same year. It's not long ago when I just wanted to see some ISU guys in the NFL/NBA, never dreamed of seeing them star for championship level teams.
Don't forget Monte Morris! I'm not sure how much he will play against the Mavs, but I expect to see him some.

If the Pacers lose and the Timberwolves win, your scenario could still happen.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Exactly!! The NBA will be putting it's finger on the scale in the conference finals.. They do not want a Minnesota vs Indiana Finals. Two small market teams with no super stars to the average NBA fan

Here is something wild, the only top 15 salary player in the NBA left in the playoffs is Rudy Gobert.. Luka is T-16, Kyrie is 22, and KAT is T-23..

I'm trying to think how Ben Simmons got on that list?

• Haha
Reactions: clonechemist

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Maybe. But Ant has become the new face of American basketball.

Reactions: clonechemist

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Yeah, Boston hasn't exactly faced a team at full strength yet. I'm not saying Boston shouldn't win, but Indiana isn't going to be the walkovers that Miami and Cleveland were.
I don't think they'll win the series but I think 2 or 3 wins for the Pacers is more likely than 0 or 1. Probably 4-2 Boston if I was forced to bet.

If they had home court I might give them a coin flip chance. They've been very tough at home and played well against Boston in regular season (Hali was injured the one game Boston killed them). Tyrese seems to finally be getting healthy, he was inconsistent against New York but had games where he looked "back to normal". The last month of the regular season and against Milwaukee he really didn't look like he had previously.

There was a stretch in the regular season before the hamstring game where he was as lethal on offense as anybody other than maybe Joker and Luka. He was shooting it like Dame or Steph but also the best in the league at running tempo offense. If he's like that and McConnell as the perfect second guard to push pace, their offense creates real problems. Turner can be a matchup nightmare when he's on, a guy who shoots high % 3s but also effortlessly throws down dunks from 8 feet away. Siakam adds some toughness and experience they really need. Their young guys including Tyrese are rapidly getting experience. Nesmith is really improving by the week, Matherin was showing tons of promise before injury.

Nesmith might have been the hidden MVP of the New York series. He left Boston where he barely played and is blossoming with Pacers, should be highly motivated. Playing with Tyrese and McConnell really helps him on offense I think. It's really only his second season of being a heavy rotation player.
Indianna might surprise and Boston gets the credit, big star, Tatum, best record, home court, they should win.

But the Pacers have an up and coming star, Hali, they have an experienced middle (with 1 ring) Siakum, and some burgeoning talent, Turner, Toppin, Nesmith, Nemhard. Could be a fun series.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I’m drinking the Pacers koolaid! The young guys didn’t fold for a game 7 in MSG like the media expected, so I see them ready to challenge the Celtics. The Pacers matchup pretty well with Boston. It will be an up and down game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I wonder how hard SAC is kicking itself for trading Ty instead of Fox.

Don't get me wrong. Fox is a good player. But Ty is on another level now.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Fox is terrific. I'd give Tyrese the nod because he's a bit younger but he does need to improve his defense. This seems likely. He has the tools and he was evidently terrific on D during the international games.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Sabonis is very good, an All Star. Both teams did improve.

Tyrese and Fox are just a horrible pairing that neutralizes Tyrese's strengths. You can give Sac credit for drafting the best player available even though he wasn't an ideal fit. I have no idea how the contracts worked but you could "what if" trading Fox instead of Haliburton. In a way drafting Sabonis at that #13 spot is a great pick too.

The West is tough. Sacramento doesn't often have two All Stars and Murray is a value deal on his rookie contract...yet they still got bounced in the play-in games.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fox is terrific. I'd give Tyrese the nod because he's a bit younger but he does need to improve his defense. This seems likely. He has the tools and he was evidently terrific on D during the international games.

I give some credit to Carlisle for building around the pieces he has. He has the pieces to run and gun and that's what they do at a record setting clip. Siakam added a little of what they're lacking. I don't know if they need to add another physical player as a piece or if this playoff run will make the whole team tougher.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’m drinking the Pacers koolaid! The young guys didn’t fold for a game 7 in MSG like the media expected, so I see them ready to challenge the Celtics. The Pacers matchup pretty well with Boston. It will be an up and down game.

If Tyrese really is as healthy as he looked in game 7 it could get wild.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface and bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I was glad to see Nesmith get it going on offense too. During the in season tournament he really took a big step forward with his offense and then he suffered a leg injury. Similar to Tyrese, his offense never came all the way back. Game 7 it was finally back and Nesmith looked confident. He sees favorable matchups on offense, so if he is good the Pacers are really tough. Tyrese is their leader though. They need him to play like the stud he is.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Agree. But I don't think he's had the time to heal. I'll start a list of 'dings' that he has: Low back, ankle, hamstring, any more?

Everybody is a little dinged, except maybe Boston? If Porzingis comes back ready to play, advantage again to Boston.

Myles Turner and Jalen Smith also 'questionable' for the Pacers, (both with back issues). That's not good.