Official Post-Game Thread ISU/NDSU

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Boozer and Dendy are the only guys playing with urgency and attitude.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Tex L
@neb L
@ttu L
Ku L
@okla L
Colo W?
@Bayl L
KSU L
@MIZZ L
@KU L
OKST L
TA&M L
Neb W?
@Colo L
Mizz L
@Ksu L

Am i missing anything? If you saw KSU and MIZZ play today garrett wont even be able to bring the ball up the court. Those two teams are VERY solid, physical, can shoot, get up in your face, after every board and etc. Colorado no way we beat them away, it will be a close game at home, same with nebraska. Texas, Ku, @ baylor, and @ tech.... Yea dream on. Yesterday i said we would win 5 big 12 games, i change that to 2.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I've heard a lot of people wanting Dendy to start over Hamilton. Can anyone explain to me (especially after tonight) why that is? Dendy is the most undisciplined player I've ever seen wear a cyclone uniform. He makes dumb plays and can't play defense. Add on to that his free throws.

While Hamilton isn't as gifted athletically as Dendy, he's a big body that can play defense. He gets the rebounds and can actually put an offensive rebound back in. If you look at the Duke game, he was one of the lone bright spots that night. I just don't understand how anyone thinks that Dendy deserves a start over him.

Dendy is a very good rebounder for one thing. He is one of the few players on the team that actually knows how to box out. Yes, he makes some dumb plays, but that could be from a lack of playing time, and trying to do too much. If he is given the chance to start, and is properly coached, those dumb plays should decrease. CB makes dumb plays too.....if you don't think so......just look at the last shot he took today, or the number of off-balanced shots he takes. Dendy can also do some things to create his own shot. Hamilton stays in the lane and mostly cleans up the garbage.

Dendy is a lot more athletic and quicker than Hamilton. You are going to need that in the Big 12, especially against teams like Texas and Kansas.

He does need to work on his free throw shooting, granted, but then so does most of the team. Don't think that is a strong point for Hamilton over him. After today, Dendy is at 47% and Hamilton is at a blistering 50%. It should be noted that Dendy has already shot 20 more free throws than Hamilton, despite playing almost 100 less minutes.

Last edited:

ISU3000

Mar 7, 2008
Tex L
@neb L
@ttu L
Ku L
@okla L
Colo W?
@Bayl L
KSU L
@MIZZ L
@KU L
OKST L
TA&M L
Neb W?
@Colo L
Mizz L
@Ksu L

Am i missing anything? If you saw KSU and MIZZ play today garrett wont even be able to bring the ball up the court. Those two teams are VERY solid, physical, can shoot, get up in your face, after every board and etc. Colorado no way we beat them away, it will be a close game at home, same with nebraska. Texas, Ku, @ baylor, and @ tech.... Yea dream on. Yesterday i said we would win 5 big 12 games, i change that to 2.

Greg and the Fighting McDoormats

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
The players need to play better yes. But it is up to the coaches to figure out how to get them to play to their full potential, and to design plays and an offense that they can execute that puts them in a position to be successful. I have not seen any of that from this staff. If you have, then please point it out to all of us.

He completely changed the way Jiri played the game. He turned him into a force in the paint rather than a big guy that just chucked up threes all day.

McD completely revamped his offense this year. People were getting mad at his half court offense and thought we had the horses to run people to death and become up tempo. He changed his offense to try to suit and now people are getting on him about that. I agree that there is some things that the staff needs to work on. But at the end of the day it's up to the players to translate what is taught in practice, which I've seen first hand being taught, to the game. As I've said many times before McD can't go out there on game day and grab a rebound for a player, he can't go out and make the open shot or pass for any of our players, it's up to the players to actually do this on game day.

Trust me, I'd rather have blown out of these teams and looked much more impressive as well but at the end of the day we have only one more loss than what I expected going into conference. Do I have some frustrations? Yes. Do I think we need to play better? Absolutely. Am I ready to panic and throw everyone under the bus and jump off the bandwagon? No.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
OK, I didn't see any part of the game. I have read the last page of a couple post game threads. We won. Not good enough right now. Boozer was our leading scorer. How does that happen? I know. He got an opportunity and played hard while others did not. I love all these guys on this team but I cannot imagine they are playing hard and eeking out a win like this. You guys can say all you want about Mac not playing therefor it's not his fault but that is BS and you know it. Someone said he is not a motivator. That's correct, but it would also be fine if we had someone on the team who was a motivator. I have not watched every game, only a few but from the ones I have seen we only have one person who is ever willing to lay into someone and that is Garrett. Even he doesn't do it a lot. With every game, I move more toward the anti-Mac side. A lot of things could happen this season, but I don't think we have had a performance to suggest we are on the brink of greatness. It seems that each game gets worse. I am not bailing onthis team because I don't believe in only cheering half a season but I must say I haven't had as little hope for a program as I do right now as far as the rest of the season. I really thought this team could be very good this year. I didn't hope, I thought they could. I would say if we don't win 20-22 games we need to really consider a different coaching direction. The problem, of course, is the buyout which was poorly thought out by the powers that be. There is nothing that can be done about that now. If it is time for a different direction, I would hope Mac could recognize that.

In the end, I think no matter what, Mac is here next year. I don't think we can afford a buyout so I doubt we have a choice.

Of course, I hope I am wrong.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
He completely changed the way Jiri played the game. He turned him into a force in the paint rather than a big guy that just chucked up threes all day.

So why can't he do that to anyone else? You think Jiri had more talent/potential than Brackins? Work ethic..........

McD completely revamped his offense this year. People were getting mad at his half court offense and thought we had the horses to run people to death and become up tempo. He changed his offense to try to suit and now people are getting on him about that. I agree that there is some things that the staff needs to work on.

Because Rutter convinced him to and we have better athletes this year. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you will perform well, that's what people fail to realize. I know a lot of intelligent people, but it doesn't mean they're all going to get advanced Physics if I teach it to them. Some may get it naturally, and others may have to work their *** off to get it but the people who might have to work their *** off might be smarter than the other people.

You need to have the work ethic and something has to "click" in that person's mind.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I watched the game. We were out of position defensively all afternoon. We didn't have good ball movement on offense. The worst of it was our hustle: outside of Dendy and Boozer, we just don't have any. Nobody really works for it, whether it's rebounds, loose balls, or running anything resembling an offense.

Hope to see more of Boozer after today though. Solid play, we were lost without him.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
So why can't he do that to anyone else? You think Jiri had more talent/potential than Brackins? Work ethic..........

Because Rutter convinced him to and we have better athletes this year. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you will perform well, that's what people fail to realize. I know a lot of intelligent people, but it doesn't mean they're all going to get advanced Physics if I teach it to them. Some may get it naturally, and others may have to work their *** off to get it but the people who might have to work their *** off might be smarter than the other people.

You need to have the work ethic and something has to "click" in that person's mind.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

In 05/06 Jiri took 46 3 pointers, in Wayne Morgan's more open offense. He made 11. In 06/07 he took 25, made 7, and in 07/08 he took 43 and made 15. So actually, he took about the same number in 07/08 as he was taking in 05/06 before GMac "completely changed the way" he played the game. Granted the shots he took in 07/08 were in more minutes played, but it was all relative to the total number of shots taken. Also, do you realize that his overall shooting percentage dropped significantly from 05/06? He shot 46.1% in 07/08, 44.5 in 06/07 and 51.5 in 05/06 (when he was chucking up all those 3's all day).

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Out re-bounded by North Dakota frickin State! Gave up 18 offensive rebounds to them, the same number Duke had.

I'm sorry, but GMac is never going to be successful here. He has no control over this team. Just watch when he is talking to any of his players, if you can catch it on tv. The player's eyes are just glazed over......he doesn't even make eye contact with them.

The offense does not move at all. They can't rebound. They can't make free throws. There is no leader on the floor.

Everybody talks about CB. He had a double-double today. Big whoop. He should have had 35 against a team this weak. It took him 20 shots to score 12 points (3 points were off free throws). And does anyone really believe that the 3 pointer he took at the end to give NDSU a chance was the shot that GMac wanted or was planned in the huddle?

Any game this team wins in conference will be pure luck. There is a reason that the coaches in the conference voted CB 1st team, and MG Newcomer of the Year, yet voted the team to finish 8th. They all know GMac can't coach in the Big 12. The 8th place finish will be very generous now, don't you think?

Truly sad what ISU basketball has become. Even the crowd is so bored, they don't cheer until the last 2 minutes of the game. You could hear the sneakers squeaking all day. Pathetic.

Starting line-up should be CB, MG, DG, Boozer, and Dendy (even if Hamilton is healthy). If not then GMac has no clue.

If you're going to take a three, that location is by far the easiest. Considering his shooting percentage from there, it was a good call.