Official Post-Game Thread ISU/NDSU

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I was very unhappy with Gilstrap's effort and attitude out there today. Perhaps he is the one who should sit and let Boozer get a start.

Gilstrap was playing on a bad ankle. You could tell it was affecting his game. His effort has been consistent.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Poor rebounding. Poor free throw shooting. Poor defense. No energy. No organization on offense. Poor shot selection.

Did I miss anything?

Offensive scheme=pass, everyone stop, pass, everyone stop etc. etc..
Lucca, stand behind the arc and be defended, while his defender offers and gives help inside. Not Luccas fault, just an ongoing observation. Take Dendys free throws out of our stats and see how many times we ever get to the line, and what our percentage is minus Dendys attempts.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
In 05/06 Jiri took 46 3 pointers, in Wayne Morgan's more open offense. He made 11. In 06/07 he took 25, made 7, and in 07/08 he took 43 and made 15. So actually, he took about the same number in 07/08 as he was taking in 05/06 before GMac "completely changed the way" he played the game. Granted the shots he took in 07/08 were in more minutes played, but it was all relative to the total number of shots taken. Also, do you realize that his overall shooting percentage dropped significantly from 05/06? He shot 46.1% in 07/08, 44.5 in 06/07 and 51.5 in 05/06 (when he was chucking up all those 3's all day).

Mac made him a much better, more physical interior player, both offensively and defensively. His 3 point percentage is irrelevant.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Will somebody please tell Craig he doesn't have to force up a shot when it isn't there? :cry:
Defense? Anyone wanna play defense? It's horrible when our best defenders on the floor were Lucca and Boozer. Jesus.
And will SOMEBODY fight through a pick? Just once? Sean Haluska, you're wanted on line 2. Sean Haluska.
Dendy = HUGE disappointment so far. His free throws are beyond pathetic, and his defense is beyond awful.
Gilstrap, get well soon. We need you.
Ham, get well soon. We need you.
DG, solid game again today.
Buckley, solid.
Boozer! Atta boy!
Dorr, you're not the most talented guy out there, but I love watching you bust your *** trying to play defense and even box out. Props to you.

Oh, and team, when you watch this video, watch NDSU, they play like a team. They hung around in a game with you, the MUCH more talented group because they played together as a team.

Credit to NDSU: They hit the open shots we gave 'em.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm sorry, but if GMac and his coaching staff can coach, they wouldn't be 14-37 in big 12 play where almost literally half of those wins are to down teams Nebraska and Colorado.

McD is back to .500 at 55-55 until conference starts.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
At this juncture of the season, Boozer may have just saved McD's job. Hard to watch. Look's like some effort is being put out but the lack of defense and poor rebounding is really amazing not to mention the painfully unorganized offense. I have never been a big Brackins fan and I do think he puts out good effort but his fade away jump shots are getting less and less successful. I am still giving them a break until they play a half dozen Big 12 games. The players know who they are playing and can get motivated. But this is getting hard to watch.

Seems like the same old same old every game rebounding, hustle, and free throws. This must be an indicator.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
For all those Hamilton doubters, today was an example of what bad things happen inside when he is not in there. He plugs a lot of holes and does a lot of things that don't get noticed by many.

Dendy for long stretches on D was often late getting to the spot, and relying on his athleticism all too often to bail him out. At times, he was also getting knocked around like a pinball inside. This is by far the most minutes he's played this year, and it was apparent that he is not in the physical shape necessary to go hard for that many minutes. Probably attributed to his miserable shooting percentage both from the field and the line. He made his first two free throws and it was all downhill from there.
Brackins' biggest problem on offense is that he doesn't like contact. With his size, he should be beating the crap out of people. If he can't go to the hole aggressively against the likes of NDSU, he's destined to play his pro career in Europe. At 6'10", his go to shot should not be the post up fall away jumper. His game has become too one dimensional. He should be initiating contact.

The biggest difference I saw with Boozer today is that his shots were falling, so he continued to shoot. Would love to see him get more minutes. He's the mentally toughest player we have and is a hustler.

DG did a great job distributing the ball, and I'm happy to see him shooting more. The more he shoots, the more things open up. He still doesn't seem to have that killer instinct, but if he hasn't gotten it by now, he never will. Thought he showed good leadership on the floor.

I wish Alex Dorr was three inches taller and 50 lbs heaver. In terms of boxing out, being in the right position on offense and defense, setting good screens, etc., he BY FAR is our best player. If everyone on the team played the game the way Alex plays, we would be undefeated. However, at this point he's just not big enough. From that standpoint he kinda reminds me of a quick Cory Johnson. But I would like to see him get more minutes. He deserves them.

I watched Lucca extensively on defense today. Much of the criticism towards him is really unfounded. He does hustle. What I did notice is that he is not quick, and easily gets beat off the dribble.

Overall, we are NOT a physical team. We are an athletic finesse team - not the kind that is going to have a ton of success in the Big 12. All we need is a couple of tough minded front court players to compliment what we have and we will be fine. But that won't be this year.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I disagree. Rebounding is one example that we've been struggling with. I've seen the staff work with these guys. I've seen them teach boxing out. But at the end of the day McD and his staff can't go out there and actually grab the rebound. The players need to step up and play.

I have no doubt they know HOW to box out, but the lack of discipline on defense puts every single one of them out of position. We have a team of ball watchers, thats why we give up so many offensive boards and easy layups, as soon as the ball moves into the lane everyone swarms looking for a highlight real block instead of making the proper rotations.

The lack effort and discipline on this team is embarrassing. The players need to be banned from the practice facility and moved back to state gym to remember what they're here for...

Darth Cy

Oct 24, 2006
Ankeny
How many coaches do we need? Really we need 8. It seems Mac spends more time with the coaches during time outs then the players. Where is the Hilton Magic?? And lose the boring pre-game show. Does not get the crowd or players excited for the game?

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I watched the game. We were out of position defensively all afternoon. We didn't have good ball movement on offense. The worst of it was our hustle: outside of Dendy and Boozer, we just don't have any. Nobody really works for it, whether it's rebounds, loose balls, or running anything resembling an offense.

Hope to see more of Boozer after today though. Solid play, we were lost without him.

How very true. Lucca also saved our butts today.

I also watched intently today as the NDSU guys drove to the bucket wide open and no one moved on defense.We are not very team oriented. We cannot even make deep lobs into Craig.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Overall, we are NOT a physical team. We are an athletic finesse team - not the kind that is going to have a ton of success in the Big 12. All we need is a couple of tough minded front court players to compliment what we have and we will be fine. But that won't be this year.

What year?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Mac made him a much better, more physical interior player, both offensively and defensively. His 3 point percentage is irrelevant.

I agree that the 3 point shots were not important. The other poster was trying to say that was all he did before GMac, and I was pointing out that was not true, and that his overall shooting percentage dropped significantly under GMac, even after he supposedly got him to stop shooting so many 3's.

Also, you say he was so much better inside. Based on what? His blocked shots increased the first year under GMac, but his steals went way down, and his turnovers more significantly increased. The final year under GMac, his blocks went down to 15 in 820 minutes. He had 10 in 606 minutes the year before GMac came. He had 31 turnovers the year before GMac. 47 and 57 the 2 years with him. I don't see the big improvement. And even if there was a little, why do we think it was GMac and not just Jiri himself? What other big men have you seen GMac develop since he has been here? You think he had much to do with CB? What dominant big men has there been? I just don't see it.

He is supposedly a "big man's coach", yet his teams cannot rebound.....the first year's team had a slight edge in rebounding (possibly carryover from Morgan) His other 2 teams before this year were out-rebounded by the opponents. This years team, believe it or not, still has a slight edge, but I'm pretty sure that will be gone not longer after the Big 12 gets going, unless something significantly improves.

People can say all they want about how GMac developed Jiri. The numbers just don't show it.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
I agree ive been hard on hamilton in the past, but I now see how valueable he is to this team if for nothing other than his size. He is starting to make some big leaps and you can see that his skill sets are starting to grow, i do wish he would come up with more loose balls though. Get well soon Ham we need ya.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
I would love to see ISU clear out a side for Lucca and Craig. Not only is Lucca our best entry passer, but he's the one perimeter player who will consistently keep the 2nd defender at bay, and if Lucca's defender leaves, hopefully Craig will kick it back out for a three.

Reactions: isucy1234

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
I have no doubt they know HOW to box out, but the lack of discipline on defense puts every single one of them out of position. We have a team of ball watchers, thats why we give up so many offensive boards and easy layups, as soon as the ball moves into the lane everyone swarms looking for a highlight real block instead of making the proper rotations.

The lack effort and discipline on this team is embarrassing. The players need to be banned from the practice facility and moved back to state gym to remember what they're here for...

I agree wholeheartedly with this. But as I've said you can teach these things but ultimately it's up to the players to execute them.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I disagree. Rebounding is one example that we've been struggling with. I've seen the staff work with these guys. I've seen them teach boxing out. But at the end of the day McD and his staff can't go out there and actually grab the rebound. The players need to step up and play.

If you can't teach a skill like rebounding in a manner that causes your students to use what they are being taught when they need to use it, then you are not using the right methods to teach the skill. As cybsball20 has pointed out, there is a general lack of discipline on this team, particulalry on defense, and that falls squarely on the shoulder of the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balls