Official Selection Monday thread

D

Deleted member 8507

Fan wise, Marist has 5,000 students and only 32,000 alumni. Unless they pick up local impartials, the loyal ISU fanbase should dominate both in numbers and noise.

D

Deleted member 8507

That's where a 26 game win streak will carry you.
They didn't crack the top 25 until February. I would rate UNI over Marist and they aren't ranked either. None of the Iowa schools ended ranked but I would like any of the three against Marist.

swiacyfan

Mar 2, 2009
heather ezell on twitter, ezell15: Congrats cyclones on getting a 7 seed, played marist twice this year ISU's got this!!!!

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Baylor and A&M are 1-2 in the same region. Kinda wierd they'd place the top two Big 12 teams in the same region.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I'm glad ISU is coming to our neck of the woods. Unfortunately I have a field trip for grad school I'm required to attend on Sat. but my wife will be going. I'll watch the game Monday against Duke.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Baylor and A&M are 1-2 in the same region. Kinda wierd they'd place the top two Big 12 teams in the same region.

Kara Lawson sure was shocked; the committee departed from the usual "S-curve" of strongest #2 paired up with the weakest #1. I remember this happened with UConn and Rutgers several years ago.
I understand cost-cutting in terms of travel, but you also have to be fair. Baylor and A&M both had chances to get to the Final Four. Seems to me the committee screwed Baylor over. This will be the fourth time that they play.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
I thought I read somewhere that Gary Blair, the Texas AM coach, thought they would be put in that regional also. It doesn't matter at that point, you have to win all of your remaining game in order to be champion. The only negative is that they were our best chance at two representative from the conference in the final four.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
A quick look at the # 10 seeds in the tourney

Marist
Vanderbilt
La Tech
Temple

My opinion - Marist is the 3rd best. I would take Vandy # 1, followed by Temple, then Marist, and La Tech.

Vandy - Melanie Balcomb is a great coach, who unfortunately plays in the shadow of Tennessee. The SEC is much stronger than the A-10, or the Metro Atlantic conference. They have 30 RPI, probably what hurt them were some early season losses to bad teams.

Temple - A-10 is a solid conference, not as strong as the SEC but boasts a # 2 seed in Xavier. Temple had one regular season conference loss to Xavier, and holds key wins over Rutgers and Dayton. Played a solid schedule with close losses to Ohio State (in Columbus) UCLA (in LA) Duke (at Duke).

Marist - top wins over Nebraska in December, and look how they turned out, Houston, and Louisville. The Metro Atlantic is a weak conference, and the 2nd best teams RPI is 131, where Marist's RPI is 48. There is not much parity in the conference. Their best game of the year was not played because they were stuck in New York because of a snow storm and couldn't travel to Arizona State. 7 of the 10 teams in the Metro Atlantic have an RPI over 200, and 2 over 300, including Niagara who is 339 out of 343.

La Tech - quite honestly, I didn't feel like they belong, but they got in. They had a complete defensive letdown in the last 3 seconds of the WAC championship and lost to Fresno State. I watched them and watched UNI, UNI is the better team. They have three quality wins and two are over Fresno State, the other is Georgia who is over seeded.

I don't think we have a cakewalk to the 2nd round, but I don't think we have the hardest # 10 team. I would not want to play Vandy or Temple in the first round.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Kara Lawson sure was shocked; the committee departed from the usual "S-curve" of strongest #2 paired up with the weakest #1. I remember this happened with UConn and Rutgers several years ago.
I understand cost-cutting in terms of travel, but you also have to be fair. Baylor and A&M both had chances to get to the Final Four. Seems to me the committee screwed Baylor over. This will be the fourth time that they play.

Easy fix would be to send A&M to Dayton, and ND to Dallas, but that would make sense.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
not only was the A&M/Baylor thing a snafu, but putting UCLA in Stanford's bracket was avoidable too. Guess the committee is going back to regional closeness and forgot about the UConn/Rutgers outcry of a couple years back. I am sure if there is a Baylor/A&M game, or a Stanford/UCLA game, that memory will resurface. Both situations were easily avoidable too.

A&M might also got the shaft with a possible 2nd round match up wit La Tech in Shreveport.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
A&M might also got the shaft with a possible 2nd round match up wit La Tech in Shreveport.

The other 2 seeds were Duke (hosting), Xavier (hosting), and Notre Dame, who gets to play host Utah in the first round. If you aren't hosting, you'll probably have to play a team on their home court. At least they get to play within driving distance of home (around 4.5 hours). They could have bumped PSU to a 7 and sent A&M there. They could have bumped Gonzaga up to a 10 and sent A&M there.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
not only was the A&M/Baylor thing a snafu, but putting UCLA in Stanford's bracket was avoidable too. Guess the committee is going back to regional closeness and forgot about the UConn/Rutgers outcry of a couple years back. I am sure if there is a Baylor/A&M game, or a Stanford/UCLA game, that memory will resurface. Both situations were easily avoidable too.

If you watched the selection show when the Chairwomen was asked about this she said they would discuss it again at the final four meeting, but teams have told them they want to be as close to home as possible. The only real gripe I heard was from Tara and she did not like the seeds at all. Guess she wanted a #1 and the the 15 worst teams in her bracket.