*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Illinois has the offensive fire power to scare anyone. I do wonder how they'd fare against our guards though. They basically play with no point guard, all wings. Without a primary ball handler to rely on, I think our on ball defense could put them in a real tough spot even beginning to facilitate half court offense. Now they are absolutely killer in transition and Shannon is awesome. We match up well with them though and they decidedly do NOT have any interest in defending anyone.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Interesting. All the national pundits have us loosing to Washington State or Illinois.

It's so funny watching all these national pundits say ISU being the 8 best team and being disrespected. Then proceed to have them lose in the sweet 16
could be because of matchups. We may be the best 2 seed, but maybe a Illinois is a bad stylistic match up for us.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Sparty has a NET ranking of 24 which would mean they are actually very under seeded according to most on here. If you’re going to use the NET as a gold standard to say ISU was robbed by being 2/3 spots different that same logic should apply to other teams.

For the record I hate NET and those metrics because sparty is god awful this season and has no reason to be that high.
I dogged on MSU in a couple of post, but taking a closer look at them, most their losses are quality losses and most of them were close games. They killed Baylor and have a nice win over Illinois. They are certainly battle tested and I think they can go on one of those Izzo March runs.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I dogged on MSU in a couple of post, but taking a closer look at them, most their losses are quality losses and most of them were close games. They killed Baylor and have a nice win over Illinois. They are certainly battle tested and I think they can go on one of those Izzo March runs.
Ehhh I don’t think so but it would be cool, UNC isn’t that scary of a 1 but the team and Izzo are just lost this season. Honestly would have wanted Houston or to get a 10 seed to battle a 2.