*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

NYCBFan

Mar 18, 2024
It doesn't matter what metric they use. This was for putting UNC as a one because of the brand. If you switch the resumes with ISU and give UNC our Conference Tourney performance the committee would absolutely put them at the 1.

They would site the historical performance in getting the Championship to support their seeding.
No doubt about it. How do you also explain Michigan State getting a 9 seed and Kentucky a 3 while Auburn gets a 4. Blueblood love.

If you look at the resumes,North Carolina beat Clemson who is kind of meh, Duke twice and Virginia who is an NIT level team, I don't even count NC State who was a mediocre team all season. They beat just one tournament level team out of conference and it was a big one in Tennessee but still, just one OOC win against an NCAA tournament team. Ever since then, they haven't done anything impressive outside of beating Duke twice.

Iowa State beat Houston twice, Kansas when they were healthy, TCU twice, Texas, Texas Tech, BYU and Baylor all in 2024. That's a lot of quality wins in the meat of the season and, what should be most importantly, they are peaking at the right time. Does the 1 win against Tennessee really supersede the many more quality wins Iowa State had navigating the toughest conference in the nation and them winning the toughest conference tournament in the nation by crushing the #1 seed? I don't think so and a lot of pundits don't think so either. Brand name definitely played a part, I have little doubt about that.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Facts carry no weight with toddlers, Karens, and Iowa State fans.

We earn a 2 seed and play what will essentially be two home games, and fans immediately start ******** about who we might have to play 3 games down the line.

That is how seeding works. Who you might play down the line. Committee completely failed. No use playing Conference Tournaments anymore. And they should seed the NCAA teams after the release of non-conference schedules.

Oct 30, 2023
I think we could beat the ever-living-**** out of Illinois, a la UCLA in 2000
That'd be an accomplishment, we've played 4 games against top 2 seeds this year and lost by 5,6,7 & 7.

Good news for you is we haven't pulled it off against a team of that caliber yet.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No doubt about it. How do you also explain Michigan State getting a 9 seed and Kentucky a 3 while Auburn gets a 4. Blueblood love.

If you look at the resumes,North Carolina beat Clemson who is kind of meh, Duke twice and Virginia who is an NIT level team, I don't even count NC State who was a mediocre team all season. They beat just one tournament level team out of conference and it was a big one in Tennessee but still, just one OOC win against an NCAA tournament team. Ever since then, they haven't done anything impressive outside of beating Duke twice.

Iowa State beat Houston twice, Kansas when they were healthy, TCU twice, Texas, Texas Tech, BYU and Baylor all in 2024. That's a lot of quality wins in the meat of the season and, what should be most importantly, they are peaking at the right time. Does the 1 win against Tennessee really supersede the many more quality wins Iowa State had navigating the toughest conference in the nation and them winning the toughest conference tournament in the nation by crushing the #1 seed? I don't think so and a lot of pundits don't think so either. Brand name definitely played a part, I have little doubt about that.
Sparty has a NET ranking of 24 which would mean they are actually very under seeded according to most on here. If you’re going to use the NET as a gold standard to say ISU was robbed by being 2/3 spots different that same logic should apply to other teams.

For the record I hate NET and those metrics because sparty is god awful this season and has no reason to be that high.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
That'd be an accomplishment, we've played 4 games against top 2 seeds this year and lost by 5,6,7 & 7.

Good news for you is we haven't pulled it off against a team of that caliber yet.
I honestly don't understand why people are alot more scared of BYU on this board. Besides Uconn, Illinois has me most worried in our region.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sparty has a NET ranking of 24 which would mean they are actually very under seeded according to most on here. If you’re going to use the NET as a gold standard to say ISU was robbed by being 2/3 spots different that same logic should apply to other teams.

For the record I hate NET and those metrics because sparty is god awful this season and has no reason to be that high.

No one here is using just the net to say we were screwed. Pretty much all the metrics across the board said it. And our record was straight up stronger. And the polls agreed.

No one of those things alone should be gospel, but when across the board all the metrics are saying it it's a different story.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
Meh, we caught them on a bad night in Provo and completely shut down their offense in the 2nd half in Ames.

I'm more worried about Illinois and their offense than BYU again.
I wouldnt say we shut them down in Ames, they just were missing open shots. If they are making 35% or more they are incredibly dangerous.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and alarson

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No one here is using just the net to say we were screwed. Pretty much all the metrics across the board said it. And our record was straight up stronger. And the polls agreed.

No one of those things alone should be gospel, but when across the board all the metrics are saying it it's a different story.
Very fair, I’m still of the option that the path for ISU until the elite 8 is not bad at all but I know I’m in the minority on that one.

Also a ton of people were using NET non stop to point it out but agree that most systems had you higher. It sucks that the tournament games don’t really matter when if you got the same wins a week before they would have.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I wouldnt say we shut them down in Ames, they just were missing open shots. If they are making 35% or more they are incredibly dangerous.
I just think people are overlooking Illinois right now becuase of " The Big 10 sucks" narrative. They are a very dangerous team and I think they play 5 seniors in their rotation.

That will be a very difficult game if we both make it that far.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It’s not just the NET.

NYCBFan

Mar 18, 2024

If you go by NET, St. John's got robbed as they were high in a lot of strength metrics so it was inconsistent.

When you look at the totality of Michigan State's resume, you have one quality OOC win against Baylor and in a mediocre conference, they finished .500 and beat Illinois (at home) in the regular season and Northwestern in the tournament. That's it, that's their resume. It can be argued that they shouldn't have even made the tournament with that lack of quality yet they comfortably made the tournament. There were at least a few mountain west teams that had better resumes yet are playing in Dayton and New Mexico only made it in due to winning the conference tournament. They gave Michigan State a lot of credit for losing to good teams in the OOC, just an odd way to evaluate a team.

• Agree

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
We absolutely didn't shut them down during the first half in Ames, they just couldn't hit wide open shots when they would reverse the court. Second half they were worn down and you could tell as their passes weren't as crisp and couldn't get the quick reverses for open shots.

• Agree
Reactions: CYedUp

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just think people are overlooking Illinois right now becuase of " The Big 10 sucks" narrative. They are a very dangerous team and I think they play 5 seniors in their rotation.

That will be a very difficult game if we both make it that far.

They're athletic, have length and can shoot. That's a bad match up for ISU.

The B1G was largely weak because of the teams outside of their top 5 but those top 5 are generally good teams.

Reactions: NoCreativity

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Everyone on here was bashing Illinois last two times Iowa played them as being a total fraud. Of course, citing the fact they play zero defense. No many here are worried about playing them in the tournament.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Meh, we caught them on a bad night in Provo and completely shut down their offense in the 2nd half in Ames.

I'm more worried about Illinois and their offense than BYU again.

I'm not worried about either, per se. I think Shannon would have a horrible time when he meets Keshon Gilbert.
I think we have BYU figured out, too. Two hard games, but both within what we can handle.