*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I totally agree. All this talk about "manipulating the NET ranking" doesn't help either.

Seth Greenberg and Jay Williams on ESPN bring this up constantly and always use it as a way to slight the Big XII. But those guys are hugely biased towards the ACC.

Not a huge Bilas fan, he's fine. But he went off on the non-con metric last night with regards to Pitt not getting in. And while Pitt wouldn't be my example, I think he was spot on otherwise.

Weird that a couple of ACC guys are bad mouthing Iowa State and the Big 12 when in reality the bottom half of that conference is garbage. There are way too many data points over the last 5-7 years showing that the Big 12 is consistently the premier basketball conference. If the show was on the other foot they would 100% be defending the ACC and their weak OOC schedule because these teams are challenged night in night out. JFC 10-15 years ago the B1G and ACC benefited form this like crazy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Weird that a couple of ACC guys are bad mouthing Iowa State and the Big 12 when in reality the bottom half of that conference is garbage. There are way too many data points over the last 5-7 years showing that the Big 12 is consistently the premier basketball conference. If the show was on the other foot they would 100% be defending the ACC and their weak OOC schedule because these teams are challenged night in night out. JFC 10-15 years ago the B1G and ACC benefited form this like crazy.

1/3 of their conference is going to be Big 12 soon and it could include some of the better basketball programs. So bash at your own risk ACC fans and you can be the next Utah coming in to get your skull crushed.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have no idea if this has been said and don’t have time to read through responses. But from my perspective the average person doesn’t understand the process of selection for this tournament. Here is how I think it may happen:

1. The “committee” doesn’t sit in a room and make brackets based on the best teams 1-68. Instead a computer simulator puts together multiple scenarios/brackets.
2. The committee then decides which ones are plausible, or sellable. They have so many metrics because it gives them wiggle room to move teams around within a few spots.
3. The committee then goes to the networks for the highest money making bracket they will pay for.
4. They do the same with hosting site cities.
5. Committee then puts it all together to make the most money that is also plausible.

It’s about money not screwing Iowa State. Just so happens that this was the best for their tournament money. Don’t know if this is true or not. Just my simple take.

No computer algorithm using metrics/data would have put ISU in the East as the last two seed. LOL every single advanced analytic has us as either the last 1 or top 2. This was 100% committee bias and chicken sh!t opinions.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I don't have issues with the #2 seed (too much). What I found interesting was the committee's justifying the lowest #2 by saying that they looked at the entire season and that late games were treated the same as preseason games and penalized iowa State for a weak preseason schedule. Did not penalize UNC, Houston. Purdue for their tournament losses but did not credit Iowa State for its win.

But on the women's side the spokesman on talking about Texas talked about their and Iowa's tournament championships even though neither won their regular season championship. So on the women's side two #1:seeds finished second in regular season but won the tournament. But on the men's side three #1 seeds lost on their tournaments.

Where is the consistancy with how the men and women made their selections?
The consistency is that the “name” teams benefit. Always.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
No computer algorithm using metrics/data would have put ISU in the East as the last two seed. LOL every single advanced analytic has us as either the last 1 or top 2. This was 100% committee bias and chicken sh!t opinions.
That is exactly my point. It wouldn't put Iowa State as 8th overall on just one scenario. But if they had multiple scenarios from algorithms that could be considered plausible based on enough advanced metrics that could be used to make Iowa State 8th (non conference sos bs) they could pick the most profitable.

Reactions: SportsMan9000

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I have no idea if this has been said and don’t have time to read through responses. But from my perspective the average person doesn’t understand the process of selection for this tournament. Here is how I think it may happen:

1. The “committee” doesn’t sit in a room and make brackets based on the best teams 1-68. Instead a computer simulator puts together multiple scenarios/brackets.
2. The committee then decides which ones are plausible, or sellable. They have so many metrics because it gives them wiggle room to move teams around within a few spots.
3. The committee then goes to the networks for the highest money making bracket they will pay for.
4. They do the same with hosting site cities.
5. Committee then puts it all together to make the most money that is also plausible.

It’s about money not screwing Iowa State. Just so happens that this was the best for their tournament money. Don’t know if this is true or not. Just my simple take.
No time to read this either

Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The consistency is that the “name” teams benefit. Always.

Which fine, I could have lived with UNC as the last 1 seed but what they did to Iowa State and Auburn is flat out intentional. Honestly, I don't know how they could have looked at the East region after it was completed and felt like anything they did was successful.

Reactions: TheCampanile

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The thing that frustrates me with this whole process of the committee remains me of the football playoff committee. There is no set structure of how they are going to come up with the teams, it changes every year. So this season non-conference schedule strength mattered more than conference tournament results and overall SOS. Next year this same committee will come out and be saying the opposite and talk about how this team moved up the seed line because of the way it finished out their season.

Set the criteria, tell everyone what it is and stick to it, stop looking at the name on the front of the jersey and start looking at how they actually played and who they played. Results matter, stop changing the criteria every year. This is just like the 13th data point.
That's exactly what they will NEVER do. The whole point of the flexible criteria is so they can pick whoever is the best brand/tv value, then use whatever talking point to justify it.

We shoulda never broke the BCS - at least that was mostly computers.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If they value noncon so much who didn't Purdue get the #1 overall seed? Seems like they pushed that aside to put UCONN number 1. They also pushed aside UNC's easy conference schedule to give them a #1. I feel like the NET ranking quad **** has made seeding worse.

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
Bill Self ahead of the curve as usual. KU had no penalty tonight.
Aaaaannd.... keep in mind that Marquette got beat by 16 points against Ucon in their tournament and are 2 seed. They lost three times to them this year. Once by 28 points. We beat our #1 by 29 and Marquette was still ahead of us.

TheCampanile

Jan 23, 2010
While watching our games in the conference tourney, I thought our physicality looked different somehow. I don't know if that's real or not, but I wonder if TJ has been coaching the team in preparation for different officiating in the NCAA tourney.
I was incredibly impressed with how good the defense was without being overly physical (read fouling).

Reactions: CYDJ

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Latest posts

Help Support Us