*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

Oct 30, 2023
Yep. They are vastly under seeded.
seems like more of an Illinois problem... getting either of us is probably a fair matchup if you make it to a sweet 16, and we both can't make it.

I was not super thrilled about getting BYU, I watched both of your games this year against them and they were tough. We need to get this Sweet 16 monkey off our back in the worst way.

(and I'm super not thrilled about getting you guys, although I think it would be a great game)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
ISU is a difficult team to play with one day prep, the type of defense we play is just difficult to prepare for and when you are coming off a win, and then trying to install everything that we do to you on defense is going to be a huge challenge for many teams.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Well, from my memory of the Big Ten's era of playing Battle Ball ...maybe? It seemed like it was an issue come March back then. But a lot of things seem to be an issue come march...
While watching our games in the conference tourney, I thought our physicality looked different somehow. I don't know if that's real or not, but I wonder if TJ has been coaching the team in preparation for different officiating in the NCAA tourney.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

According to Garry Parrish who has us at 4 in his top 25+1:

But after everything was completed, and all of the games were played in advance of Selection Sunday, Iowa State ended up with four more Q1 games than North Carolina and the same number of games inside the first two quadrants. So it's frankly stupid that non-league SOS would even be a part of this discussion, and I'll continue to insist non-league SOS is the single dumbest number the selection committee uses.

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
Most know that Nebraska Alumnus and (former) athletic director Trev Alberts resigned to take similar job at TA&M. Well the men and women's NCAA selection committes both randomly selected Nebraska to face TA&M in their first round games! Gee... I wonder how that happened?

Oct 30, 2023
While watching our games in the conference tourney, I thought our physicality looked different somehow. I don't know if that's real or not, but I wonder if TJ has been coaching the team in preparation for different officiating in the NCAA tourney.
It's hard for me to say because I spent the entire houston game laughing my ass off at a bar, so I didn't watch the game play as closely. Three games in three days is a lot, and that effects how you play too.

But in general, it's kind of the great reveal of the tournament is you get to see what 2.5 months of conference play did to everyone. I spent all of 2004-05 talking about efficiency numbers because Illinois was a pretty low tempo team, just ruthlessly efficient.

I watched a number of ISU games this year where I was blown away by the physicality (And the refs just standing there)... I'm curious to see how that's called these next couple weeks too

Brookcyde

Aug 29, 2012
That makes sense if the overall SOS is low, or if the conference is not strong, that provides a better picture to evaluate a team and put their SOS in context. But to ignore a high overall SOS, because you didn't choose to make it harder, is deciding that one metric is more important than the whole picture.
The committee chair's excuse that "games in November mean as much as games in February" devalues conference games and tournaments. Of the top 8 seeds, ISU had 10 more conference quad 1 games than Arizona, 8 more than North Carolina, 6 more than Tenn. and Purdue. Only Houston had more(1). But I guess a random game in a hotel ballroom in the Bahamas at Thanksgiving against a team that ends up in the net 40s says more about your team than 4 road Q1 wins, or beating the #1 team 2 out of 3, during the conf. season.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
I have no idea if this has been said and don’t have time to read through responses. But from my perspective the average person doesn’t understand the process of selection for this tournament. Here is how I think it may happen:

1. The “committee” doesn’t sit in a room and make brackets based on the best teams 1-68. Instead a computer simulator puts together multiple scenarios/brackets.
2. The committee then decides which ones are plausible, or sellable. They have so many metrics because it gives them wiggle room to move teams around within a few spots.
3. The committee then goes to the networks for the highest money making bracket they will pay for.
4. They do the same with hosting site cities.
5. Committee then puts it all together to make the most money that is also plausible.

It’s about money not screwing Iowa State. Just so happens that this was the best for their tournament money. Don’t know if this is true or not. Just my simple take.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Exactly. They didn't want to do the work that would have been needed to move ISU to a 1 or a higher 2 seed. I'm pretty sure we've seen other examples of this over the last few tournaments.
THIS: the administrative nightmare of making late changes to 1 and 2 seeds is not something they wanted to endure. I suspect this is why conference tourney's have never really mattered for seeding (I think they have said this in the past).

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The committee chair's excuse that "games in November mean as much as games in February" devalues conference games and tournaments. Of the top 8 seeds, ISU had 10 more conference quad 1 games than Arizona, 8 more than North Carolina, 6 more than Tenn. and Purdue. Only Houston had more(1). But I guess a random game in a hotel ballroom in the Bahamas at Thanksgiving against a team that ends up in the net 40s says more about your team than 4 road Q1 wins, or beating the #1 team 2 out of 3, during the conf. season.
I agree - 10 Q1 wins is 10 Q1 wins, regardless of whether they all happened after New Years or not. Requiring Q1 wins in the Non-Conf means that games in November mean MORE than games in February!

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I have no idea if this has been said and don’t have time to read through responses. But from my perspective the average person doesn’t understand the process of selection for this tournament. Here is how I think it may happen:

1. The “committee” doesn’t sit in a room and make brackets based on the best teams 1-68. Instead a computer simulator puts together multiple scenarios/brackets.
2. The committee then decides which ones are plausible, or sellable. They have so many metrics because it gives them wiggle room to move teams around within a few spots.
3. The committee then goes to the networks for the highest money making bracket they will pay for.
4. They do the same with hosting site cities.
5. Committee then puts it all together to make the most money that is also plausible.

It’s about money not screwing Iowa State. Just so happens that this was the best for their tournament money. Don’t know if this is true or not. Just my simple take.
Yeah that's not how it works

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
It's hard for me to say because I spent the entire houston game laughing my ass off at a bar, so I didn't watch the game play as closely. Three games in three days is a lot, and that effects how you play too.

But in general, it's kind of the great reveal of the tournament is you get to see what 2.5 months of conference play did to everyone. I spent all of 2004-05 talking about efficiency numbers because Illinois was a pretty low tempo team, just ruthlessly efficient.

I watched a number of ISU games this year where I was blown away by the physicality (And the refs just standing there)... I'm curious to see how that's called these next couple weeks too
If Iowa State and Illinois play, what would worry me as an Illinois fan is it doesn't sound like you have a true PG and we turn teams over. What would worry me is Illinois hitting 3s and spreading the floor.

Ultimately I hope we play as it means we survived the first weekend and I'm tired of playing BYU.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah that's not how it works
It is part of it. You think it was fate Nebraska/Texas A&M got matched up? Given the Trev Albert's thing?

Or 2 final 4 participants from last year could match up again this year? In the 2nd round.

Hell even on the womans side LSU being a 3 seed runs a risk of no Iowa rematch unless you put them in Iowa's bracket.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
It is part of it. You think it was fate Nebraska/Texas A&M got matched up? Given the Trev Albert's thing?
I think Memphis is the closest site that has a 1 seed that either team could play

like you think anyone outside of those two fan bases gives a **** about trev alberts? like youre going to say that with a straight face lol...

and its not like either teams fan bases are more likely to turn in cuz oh our AD came from there

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I think Memphis is the closest site that has a 1 seed that either team could play
They overseed Michigan State to give them an out.
Seeding is subjective. There is no real difference between 8 and 9.

They absolutely try to have stories with match ups.

It's naive to think otherwise.

Last edited:

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
They overseed Michigan State to give them an out.
Seeding is subjective. There is no real difference between 8 and 9.

They absolutely try to have stories with match ups.
I legitimately am not following this logic, they over seeded MSU to a 9 from a 10? How does that affect your trev alberts bowl? I am not patronizing I am not following. If they shift MSU to a 10 they are in a play-in game. Wouldnt more people tune in to a play-in game with MSU vs Virginia?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
ISU is a difficult team to play with one day prep, the type of defense we play is just difficult to prepare for and when you are coming off a win, and then trying to install everything that we do to you on defense is going to be a huge challenge for many teams.
But Illinois would have 4-5 days to prep for it.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I legitimately am not following this logic, they over seeded MSU to a 9 from a 10? How does that affect your trev alberts bowl? I am not patronizing I am not following. If they shift MSU to a 10 they are in a play-in game. Wouldnt more people tune in to a play-in game with MSU vs Virginia?
You don't have to have Nebraska/A&M matchup if the put a non Big 10 team on Michigan St seed line.

They are looking to sell stories outside the game. They look for different angles. In early rounds I would argue there is more value in terms of eyeballs when a 5 plays a 12 4 plays a 13 vs an 8/9 because of upset factor.

2 final 4 teams from last year possibly playing in the 2nd round is nice match up. Great storyline

Again look at womans side. At a 3 LSU may not get a chance to play Iowa unless they go to final 4. Is it a coincidence they end up in Iowa's bracket? Or did they look long and hard how to make it happen?

Not saying it's all one big set up, but they absolutely look for opportunity to have angles to stories. If there is some justifiable way to make it happen why not.

Last edited: