*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
The committee mailed it in and seeded the teams before the tournament finals it's clear. Only explanation to have all those conference winners in the east bracket. Any other explanation is more nefarious.
Exactly. They didn't want to do the work that would have been needed to move ISU to a 1 or a higher 2 seed. I'm pretty sure we've seen other examples of this over the last few tournaments.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
There’s a reason why actual professional sports leagues don’t just let random people choose post season participants based on subjective criteria, because it’s stupid. It’s 2024, just use ******* objective metrics that everyone knows and teams can schedule as they want in the way they think will get them ranked the highest.

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
The chairman himself said ISU was the 8th ranked team in the seeding process. Now how in the hell with what we did this year is this team really the 8th ranked team? Oh, their non conference schedule was weak, but we still ended up with a SOS of 8 overall. How can you not say we were not screwed.
****** guy is a troll. Blue blood fans are struggling to cope with the new landscape of college basketball

Reactions: mark82

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A lot of hand-wringing about having to play (or potentially face) teams in first weekend that are closer/nearly as close to Omaha as ISU.

About three days ago, before the tournament results & bid-steals, Drake would have been on 11 line (maybe even 12), South Dakota State was as close to 16 seed as 15, and Iowa State was fringe 2/3 (although probably safe for Omaha, even then). Our matchups could have been entirely different.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There’s a reason why actual professional sports leagues don’t just let random people choose post season participants based on subjective criteria, because it’s stupid. It’s 2024, just use ******* objective metrics that everyone knows and teams can schedule as they want in the way they think will get them ranked the highest.

There'd be times it would have issues, but we'd probably be better off basing things on an aggregate of various SOR\WAB-like measures than having the committee.

Of course then there wouldn't be the ratings for the selection show, or hours upon hours of talk throughout the season as to what the committee would maybe decide, because everyone could see the metrics all season.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Selection committees exist to make sure the tv networks get what they want, they are the real clients.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Jamie's been on the committee for a while, right? Did he not understand how important the non-con would be prior to scheduling, or was it just a matter of being unable to schedule who we needed to improve the out-of-conference schedule?
Hard to believe he didn't realize he needed to schedule a little differently to move ISU from one of the 8 best teams in the country to one of the 4 best.

The assessment was that this team had just getting to the tournament as its goal, not contending for a #1. It's not TJ and the team's fault they turned out to be better than anyone believed they would.
It is their fault! They worked too hard, they're too tough, they decided to be too good! ;)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Mountain West got 6 teams in, Big East got 3. What?

It makes some sense with the bid stealers.

Coming in to the tournament, bracketmatrix averages showed them getting 6 teams in. But 3 of those teams were forecast in the 10 seed range. That's dangerous territory when the cutoff line is right there.

The MWC has its own gripes- almost all of its teams were consistently a couple seeds down from where they'd been forecast going into the tournament.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So you didn’t watch the two games between BYU and ISU. Iowa State had no business winning that 2nd game.
And you might not even play BYU or you’re going to be playing them on a neutral court. I think your coaching staff is way better than BYU and having two games of tape is going to be massive. You again have more talent and a better staff, even if you do play them you will be a favorite

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Momcilovic in Boston vs. UConn to go to the Final 4. The “Bird” comparisons are going to be great. The more I think of it, this region has everything that our squad is looking for.

Defense will travel and ISU will stay hot.

This is the YEAR!

OrangeCarrot

Jul 1, 2023
And you might not even play BYU or you’re going to be playing them on a neutral court. I think your coaching staff is way better than BYU and having two games of tape is going to be massive. You again have more talent and a better staff, even if you do play them you will be a favorite
ISU doesn’t have a solution for Khalifa. We’d need to cross our fingers and hope they miss a bunch of open 3’s like they did in the 2nd half at Hilton.
So... why did they?
They missed lots of open 3’s in the 2nd half. Then their guards crapped themselves in the last few minutes.

Jeffreyisu

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
ISU doesn’t have a solution for Khalifa. We’d need to cross our fingers and hope they miss a bunch of open 3’s like they did in the 2nd half at Hilton.

They missed lots of open 3’s in the 2nd half. Then their guards crapped themselves in the last few minutes.
Oh, my mistake. I just thought that was called "basketball".

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It makes some sense with the bid stealers.

Coming in to the tournament, bracketmatrix averages showed them getting 6 teams in. But 3 of those teams were forecast in the 10 seed range. That's dangerous territory when the cutoff line is right there.

The MWC has its own gripes- almost all of its teams were consistently a couple seeds down from where they'd been forecast going into the tournament.
Somebody needs to explain to me why San Diego State was 5 and even 6 seeds better than the rest of the MWC.

They finished 5th, a whole 3 games behind the regular season champion. Then they lost to the 6th place team in their championship game.

So I thought maybe it was their non-conference schedule every keeps talking about. They beat Gonzaga and St. Mary's and that's it. St. Mary's is a solid win, but then I discovered Boise State also beat them. Then I looked at Colorado State and they beat Creighton in their non-conf which is thr best win of any team all year.

So basically beating Gonzaga is worth 5 or 6 seed lines better than the rest of your conference even though you did nothing to differentiate yourselves all year from your peers?

• Informative
Reactions: tzjung

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Can someone please explain how Kentucky got a 3 seed?

All of their metrics put them squarely on a 5 line. They have a losing record against Q1. Their non con SOS is 205.

Make it make sense.