*** Official West Virginia vs #6 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

WesRuby

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2014
Last time I saw WVU was in Morgantown
Feb 10, 2014.

We lost 77-102. Shocking defeat.

Danville and Mrs. Danville visiting our freshman Daughter and hitting the MBB/WBB double header.

I say let’s knock 15 off the winner and 15 off the losers.

87-62 Cyclone Beatdown.
Funny enough, right after that game - like 4 minutes after watching the conclusion - I decided to enroll.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The analytic sites seem to have a consensus around 19-20 points, so the line is underplaying that a bit, understandably so, predicting 20 point wins in conference games is a bit crazy. But the average margin of WVU's 6 road games is 19.5, so it's entirely realistic. And the 30+ point beatdowns at Houston and Texas shows that if they get down, they may roll over.

WVU is an example of when mixing a bunch of transfers after an unexpected coaching change doesn't go so well. The parts are talented, but they really haven't come together. They weren't helped by the NCAA either as several transfers were ineligible until the end of December.

In conference play they have 10 different players averaging at least 10 minutes a game, including 9 different players who have started a game - which is a bit crazy.

I'm not going to go through all the players - but here's the ones averaging double figures:

Their best player, I think, is 6'1" super senior Syracuse transfer Jesse Edwards. In conference play, he's averaging 15 pts / 8 boards per game in 24 minutes. He's not a stretch big - he's attempted no 3s - and he shoots like Bob from the FT line. But he's shooting almost 65% from the field. He's not frequent passer averaging under 1 assist per game, so how he reacts to the hard doubles will be a huge key to the game.

Their point guard, Kerr Krissa, was a surprise (to me at least) transfer from Arizona where he started every game the last 2 years. He's averaging 11ppg on 42% 3-pt shooting (the team best) in conference play, but almost never takes a 2-pt shot or gets to the line (but does shoot >90% on FTs). He's playing 32 minutes a game and averaging 4 assists and 3 turnovers.

Their other leading scorer is 6'5" Raequan Battle, who started at Washington before playing 2 seasons at Montana State and now is in his COVID year. He's averaging 14 ppg, but also 12 shots and shooting just 38% from the field and 32% from 3. He's not shy and will put up a lot of shots and NEVER passes - he literally has ONE assist in conference play! He's been very hot recently - averaging 23 ppg in their last 3 games - including going 20-22 from the FT line and 8-17 from 3. He can be foul and turnover prone at times as well - it'll be up to Keshon to shut him down and frustrate him.

The other double figure scorer is Quinn Slazinski, a 6'8" wing, who is another super senior transfer starting at Louisville and then playing at Iona, where he only played 7 games last year due to injury (I assume). He's averaging just over 10 in conference play on 35% on 3s. He's similar to Milan in terms of size and stats (but not talent)

One thing that's fun to monitor is if he force them into their season high in turnovers - something we do regularly. Their season high is 15 - except for their loss at TCU where they had 19. They are generally turnover-prone and we should be able to get to at least 15. If we don't, it will be closer than anticipated.

My prediction is that they get hot from deep at some point in the first 30 minutes and we struggle to make shots and it's closer than expect until the last 10 minutes and then we pull away when they go cold. Something like 83-68 for a final .

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Milan has been in a 3 point slump. I predict that ends today.
I like it.

His entire game has slid a bit. Maybe that’s being unfair.

I’m thinking. The longer season is maybe taking its toll?

I’m also a huge fan and hope today is the day he gets his mind right.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I like it.

Freshman hitting a hump in February, especially when playing as many minutes as he has, is entirely usual. You see it on the women's side with Addy as well. He just needs to work through it and keep shooting. You can see him trying more things the last couple games, with drives into the paint and some up-and-under type moves

Reactions: danvillecyclone

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Freshman hitting a hump in February, especially when playing as many minutes as he has, is entirely usual. You see it on the women's side with Addy as well. He just needs to work through it and keep shooting. You can see him trying more things the last couple games, with drives into the paint and some up-and-under type moves
Yes. Agreed. That is my point.

I’ve also seen him be very timid and pass up open looks. (Granted open looks in the Big 12 are not open very long).

Catch, Slot, and shoot, Kid

We are gonna need you.

Reactions: bawbie

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
WVU is an example of when mixing a bunch of transfers after an unexpected coaching change doesn't go so well. The parts are talented, but they really haven't come together. They weren't helped by the NCAA either as several transfers were ineligible until the end of December.
I read earlier that they had (still have) the #2-rated transfer class in the country this year. From their terrible record I had figured most of those guys went elsewhere after Huggins was out.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
The b12 is tough but no excuse to lose this game. As fun as hoiberg teams were I would not feel confident about this game. With TJ here this game doesn’t scare me and at Hilton we should run these guys out of the gym

Reactions: rosshm16

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I like it.

Teams clearly have a scout on him now.
There are ways to best defend him - like almost everybody. When he does that turn around one foot fade you need to step into him. I thought Kansas did that well.
It’s easier when you are an unknown.