"Oh no, we are a basketball school again!"

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The last 5 football seasons have been a gift to a fan base that had to endure getting left at the hoops altar by our not so loyal son/mayor coach. Seriously, what Campbell has done here has been incredible, a period of sustained success that really hasn't been matched in Cyclone football history.

The last 24 hours have shown me a couple of things:

1. Iowa State basketball has a legitimate chance to be revitalized in the near future

2. The peak for Iowa State football might be a lot lower than a covid year would have us believe.

The football season has had its highs and lows, but now we can face the reality that for the first time under Campbell, we have experienced a small level of failure. I say small because this is still a bowl eligible team for the 5th consecutive season. Had the fan base been surveyed 5 years ago I think consistently being competitive in all our games and making bowl games would have been considered successful. I still think it is. But this year was supposed to be different. There were aspirations to be better than just ok or even good. Top 10 ranking, contention for a Big 12 title or even playoff consideration was on the table, guys came back for extra seasons they never should have had, just for a chance at greatness. It has officially been for naught.

Welcome back Iowa State basketball. For the first time in 5 years, I'm happy it's finally basketball season.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I disagree about your football hypothesis. We are going for the Wisconsin model. You set the low bar as 7-5, and then can have some margin to have some incredible years.

Just because we didn't do it the first time we had the opportunity, doesn't mean it won't happen.

There will be more times where this is attainable if our base is 7-8 wins, which it has become.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Dunno about the basketball team just yet but the football program is definitely headed back to it's rightful place as a perennial doormat again.
What evidence shows you this? Matt Campbells only "doormat" year was his first year. Every year since then he's obtained more than we have usually thought possible.

Let's not fall into the new expectations trap.

I believe we have alot of talent coming up the pipe, better recruiting classes, and more development.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
This season is still a complete f);$ck up. We are easily better than the 4 teams who beat us… I think at least. Yeah, getting 7 or 8 wins is good historically… but this was our best shot ever at doing something very special. I don’t think I’ll ever see a better ISU football team in my lifetime. I feel bad for the guys. Lots of tough breaks.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
This season is still a complete f);$ck up. We are easily better than the 4 teams who beat us… I think at least. Yeah, getting 7 or 8 wins is good historically… but this was our best shot ever at doing something very special. I don’t think I’ll ever see a better ISU football team in my lifetime. I feel bad for the guys. Lots of tough breaks.

I feel terrible for the guys... But this will not be the top of the mountain for us. You get this 7-8 win standard and bowl expectation every year, and then when the ball bounces right, you have potential to do some incredible things. This hurts because it's our first real year to be good enough whereif those good bounces go our way we do something incredible. It will not be our last.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I feel terrible for the guys... But this will not be the top of the mountain for us. You get this 7-8 win standard and bowl expectation every year, and then when the ball bounces right, you have potential to do some incredible things. This hurts because it's our first real year to be good enough whereif those good bounces go our way we do something incredible. It will not be our last.

I hope so. But replacing Purdy, Koehler, Hall, Rose etc can’t come without a step back. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: cyclonestunners

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Really appreciate all the fans in denial about the fact this isn’t a typical Paul Rhoads bottom dwelling ISU team. We were B12 champ favorites and a borderline playoff team, with multiple preseason award stud players. I guess some people will never let go of the lovable losers no expectations ever little brother reputation.

Seriously? In Campbells second worst year, it would still be one of Rhoads' best year.

Which Paul Rhoads team won this many games against top 25 teams? Which Rhoads teams had a 10-1 record at home against b12 opponents?

None of them. That's right. Campbell continues to have this program headed in the right direction, and in a position to take advantage of special years in the future.

You're down because the first time we have an incredible team with expectations, we don't live up to them? Give me a break. How many teams do that the first time they have those expectations?

As this happens more. Campbell will learn to navigate it better.

Am I disappointed in the results this year? Absolutely!! But does this make me negative about the future? Not at all.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I hope so. But replacing Purdy, Koehler, Hall, Rose etc can’t come without a step back. Hope I’m wrong.

Well have a step back next year. Absolutely. Pretty much every team not names alabama Georgia and Ohio state does. Shoot... Look at powerhouse Clemson! Even they have a step back as they reload.

But the difference now is our low year will be 6-7 wins, not 2-3 as it was under Rhoads and McCartney. The base is there. Look back at those McCartney and Rhoads teams. We never had as many young players play quality minutes. The cupboard is not near as bare as it was after our other seasons where we lost our "top talent"

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Depends on if OU and TX are in the conference next year and the new teams come in. We could be looking at a conference schedule of KU, KSU, WVU, Houston, Central Florida, Baylor, TTU, and TCU.

I think we could be 4-5 or 5-4 playing that group.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I’m not bashing Campbell his turnaround has been incredible. Just annoyed by holding us to Rhoads standard. B12 championship basically was handed to us on a silver platter this year and we said no thanks, Campbell isn’t happy about bowl eligibility like hard hat boy was
Not holding to Rhoads standards... Holding him to any modern isu coach. He is the highest standard we've ever had, and continues to build.

brutodd

Apr 11, 2006
KS -> Albuquerque->KS
Seeing the post above about going 5-4 w/ a conference of UH, UCF, etc is borderline ludicrous. Six wins easy w/ that, knowing that we lose a lot of our major playmakers IMO. That said - I cannot think of more than two-three schools that have had outstanding CFB followed by MBB in the same year. KU in '08? Duke when they went to a BCS/Playoff Game? Ohio State when they made S16/E8? NOT many do both in the same academic year.

I DO NOT Think we're a 'basketball school' again - yet. Honestly, I'd love to have us stay top tier CFB in the Big 12 and middle tier for MBB w/ routine but not automatic NCAA bids. Why? CFB going to pay the bills and get us into another conference IF it ends up that way + revenue streams from CFB dwarf any MBB revenue. Not to mention - CFB staffs cost a boat load more. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm