Old 30

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It has always been interesting to me how many different routes through Marion and CR that 30/Lincoln Highway took over the years as it slowly got straightened out to the straightaway across the south side that we know it as now.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Not Highway 30, but I remember riding on some of those narrow two-lane highways in southeast Iowa at the posted limit of 70 mph back before I was old enough to get my license. No wonder the number of traffic deaths was so high back then …
Mom reminds us that when she was younger, 151 from Dubuque south was not only 70mph limit and 2 lane, but had CURBS on it rather than shoulders.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Stumbled upon this, really interesting to me.

Check out the campus town area around the 7:00minute mark.

That looks pretty close to what it was like when I attended. Looks like 1957 or a year or two later; I arrived on campus in 1962.

Speaking of speed limits, it wasn't too many years before this film was made that the speed limit on Iowa highways was "Reasonable and Proper" if not posted differently.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Mom reminds us that when she was younger, 151 from Dubuque south was not only 70mph limit and 2 lane, but had CURBS on it rather than shoulders.
Yep, same for me. The highway from Eldon out to where the high school was located 1) was a narrow 2-lane; 2) with curbs; 3) had a pair of nearly 90-degree corners; and 4) had a 70-mph speed limit.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
It has always been interesting to me how many different routes through Marion and CR that 30/Lincoln Highway took over the years as it slowly got straightened out to the straightaway across the south side that we know it as now.
As the years go by and highways evolve, it’s interesting to me to see places like Marshalltown: the original Lincoln Highway went through the city, then they built a bypass on the south side, then as that area got built-up and congested they built another four-lane bypass of the bypass.

I’m kind of a fan of the Lincoln Highway, I’ve got a few books on the subject. I was actually trying to drive on the old route coming back from Ames to Cedar Rapids the day of the derecho (which caught me by Belle Plaine, that was a horrific experience I never want to have again).

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Yep, same for me. The highway from Eldon out to where the high school was located 1) was a narrow 2-lane; 2) with curbs; 3) had a pair of nearly 90-degree corners; and 4) had a 70-mph speed limit.

Say, are you, by any chance, Mr. Dugan?

:otz:

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What was the logic behind building rural highways with curbs? That seems so obviously stupid in terms of trapping water, and also the added cost.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
You used to step off the steps of Sacred Heart Church in Fillmore basically into the highway in those days.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone