Ole Miss AD finances (WBB is shocking)

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
compared to Iowa State that is shocking.

• Women’s basketball
    • $611,041 in income
    • $1.39 million in expenses
It's all about accounting. Ole Miss is claiming $9.5M in wbb expenses.

Partial breakdown of those expenses:

$570k in scholarships
$1.9M in coaching salaries
$920k in support staff
$290k in recruiting
$1.4M in travel
$270k in supplies
$2.4M in facilities (lease/debt/rental)
$700k in admin expenses

I'm guessing some schools partition some of these expenses to individual sports and others lump them up together as a separate item.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm not super surprised that WBB loses a bunch of money. I can't imagine there's more than a handful that come even close to breaking even.

What did surprise me is that baseball paid for itself there.
I agree I was just shocked it was that much.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree I was just shocked it was that much.

Though when you break it down, none of it is all that surprising except maybe the coaching salaries. Hell, some of those numbers like travel have had their numbers inflated as a cost of expanding conferences for football purposes (one of many reasons you could argue football conferences should be different from the other sports)

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It's all about accounting.
I'm now doubling down on this. Here are the main differences between Ole Miss WBB and ISU WBB in the reports:

KEY REVENUE DIFFERENCES
ISU WBB receives $460k more in ticket sales
Ole Miss WBB receives $180k in direct institutional support (ISU athletics receives $0)
Ole Miss WBB receives $260k more in contributions (They break out more contributions per sport, while ISU has more in the non-sport-specific column)
Ole Miss WBB receives $100k more in media rights
Ole Miss WBB receives $180k more in NCAA distributions
ISU WBB gets $80k more in parking/concessions
ISU WBB gets $65k more in sponsorships
Ole Miss WBB gets $40k more in sports camp revenue
Overall, Ole Miss WBB gets $160k more in revenue

KEY EXPENSE DIFFERENCES
Ole Miss WBB spends $220k more on coaching salaries
Ole Miss WBB spends $410k more on support staff salaries
Ole Miss WBB spends $180k more on recruiting
Ole Miss WBB spends $90k more on equipment
Ole Miss WBB spends $80k more on marketing/fundraising
Ole Miss WBB spends $35k more on sports camp expenses
Ole Miss WBB spends $2.37m more on facilities debt/lease/rental fees -- ISU puts this in the non-sport-specific category for all sports, so ISU WBB has $0 here
Ole Miss WBB spends $520k more in overhead and admin expenses -- ISU puts most admin costs in the non-sport-specific category
Ole Miss WBB spends $240k more in other operating expenses -- ISU puts most of this in the non-sport-specific category

Overall, Ole Miss WBB is $4m in the red more than ISU WBB. From the lines I highlighted in red above, I think about $2.9m of that is just differences in accounting and $1.1m is actual difference.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
One thing that doesn't get taken into account though is the indirect benefits these sports provide to the overall picture.

Like, how many fans that are big supporters of football\mens basketball and have their revenue accounted for in that bucket are also big fans of sports like wbb\wrestling\volleyball being competitive? How much do those sports keep those types in the fold when football\mbb are having down periods. The dollars show up in the football or mbb accounting, but being successful/competitive in other areas is part of the 'total package' to many.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Here are the raw numbers extracted from the pdfs for all sports (Ole Miss vs ISU):

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron