Ole Miss AD finances (WBB is shocking)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Never ever ever take accounting numbers on the face without knowing the real story. The amount of lying you can do is pretty impressive.

Signed,

A CPA
Are you for hire? :chris:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Pretty sure you were kidding but just in case...
Imagine trying to fill a stadium like this on a cold March day in Iowa.

Swayze Field
Oxford, Mississippi View attachment 123099
Only way it would ever work is if they redo the Baseball season to be a couple months later through the summer.
Which by the way is what I think should happen and the only way it is fair across the country for northern teams to compete with southern teams.

Baseball season should be April - Aug instead of Feb - June.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Never ever ever take accounting numbers on the face without knowing the real story. The amount of lying you can do is pretty impressive.

Signed,

A CPA
Did you ever touch Purdy’s butt? It’s good for selling insurance!

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Swayze Field
Nebraska manages, although not at the consistent rate I’d imagine.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1c2tlcnMtY29tLXByb2QvMjAyMy8wNi8xNC9Ub2pFOFJ3amRsNERqb0pheEdSVkxUNlR6Q1hkSnA4QzhXY0ZPbDhDLmpwZw.jpg

Reactions: CyGold

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Nebraska manages, although not at the consistent rate I’d imagine.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1c2tlcnMtY29tLXByb2QvMjAyMy8wNi8xNC9Ub2pFOFJ3amRsNERqb0pheEdSVkxUNlR6Q1hkSnA4QzhXY0ZPbDhDLmpwZw.jpg
Swayze field has a listed capacity of 10,715. That's more than 25% larger than Nebraska's Haymarket Park (8,486). I'd also imagine being close to Omaha and having a built-in college baseball fan base has to be a huge help.

Iowa's Duane Banks Field is almost certainly a closer comparison for us with 3,000 seats and I doubt that's filled very well.

College baseball is huge in the South. It's a big part of the sports culture down here in a way that it never will be up North. That's why the B1G is nearly always a 1-bid league to the CWS. I love baseball, but ISU would be fools to bring it back.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Swayze field has a listed capacity of 10,715. That's more than 25% larger than Nebraska's Haymarket Park (8,486). I'd also imagine being close to Omaha and having a built-in college baseball fan base has to be a huge help.

Iowa's Duane Banks Field is almost certainly a closer comparison for us with 3,000 seats and I doubt that's filled very well.

College baseball is huge in the South. It's a big part of the sports culture down here in a way that it never will be up North. That's why the B1G is nearly always a 1-bid league to the CWS. I love baseball, but ISU would be fools to bring it back.
I get all that, my point was simply that it’s not impossible. Ames is close to DM to draw from as well. Iowa City is only a comparison because of low attendance.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
In 25 home games last season, they averaged 915 per game. They did average 1735 in the last six home games (conference games late in the season -- OSU and MSU) but only broke 1000 twice before that, both vs Nebraska.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonsin

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You would know better than I would, but why the games with the accounting? It seems pretty clear this was intentional, doesn’t it?
Sometimes places will take all the overhead and spread it out evenly per each department, some do it per estimated usage, some revenue. Many times it’s just how they prefer.

For games. They may want to make some look bad so if they are allowed to drop stuff in the future they can justify it easier.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You would know better than I would, but why the games with the accounting? It seems pretty clear this was intentional, doesn’t it?

It doesn't necessarily have to be "games". It is probably just a mater of how they classify shared expenses. For stuff like that there is really no right or wrong way to do it.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
It doesn't necessarily have to be "games". It is probably just a mater of how they classify shared expenses. For stuff like that there is really no right or wrong way to do it.
I just found it interesting that they were essentially able to break even but manage costs so well on what would seem to be a very expensive sports (football) while absolutely getting destroyed in that way with WBB…in a conference that still allows teams to stay relatively close to home.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I just found it interesting that they were essentially able to break even but manage costs so well on what would seem to be a very expensive sports (football) while absolutely getting destroyed in that way with WBB…in a conference that still allows teams to stay relatively close to home.
Well, one sport makes all the money and the other sport only loses money so it’s not that surprising

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I mean in the end everything gets combined together into 1 final number so the breakout really doesn't mean anything.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Hockey would be more successful than baseball, and neither one would ever come close to breaking even.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

Swayze Field
Now imagine if they change the season to summer. Hanging out at Cytown and tailgating before you walk east across our bridge to the new baseball and softball stadiums to enjoy America's game. "Is this heaven?" You ask.... No, it's Iowa State (answered by James Earl Jones who's walking behind you)

Reactions: c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s