Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
I'd love to get him at WVU. WVU is in a total rebuild mode and needs bodies. ISU is at a different place. ISU was a number 1 seed (should've been). ISU also plays Huggins ball. Huggins ball isnt for everyone.

DeVries wants a bunch of shooters on the court. you know set picks for a 3, backdoor cuts, etc. WVU, like ISU,has players scheduled for visits. who knows what WVU or any other team's roster will look like next fall.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Reminds me of Cheick Diallo, big star that everyone wanted to go to ISU. Goes to KU and gets 3 points per game. Left for the NBA and did have minor success. Probably was just too raw for the college game. I think Omaha will have future success, but he needs to find a team that can afford to have him iron out his game even if that means accepting some losses that may come from it.

I think TJ knows next year we have a chance that really go all in, and we need every spot available for polished players. It is like metaphorically trading a young prospect for a proven veteran. That prospect might be better than the veteran in the future, but we are in a win now situation.

I think Diallo is a really good comp and honestly these guys are everywhere. Just go look through the Top 20 the last several years, and you'll see as many guys who had no impact and maybe a marginal professional career as guys who were successful in college.

Just randomly taking the 2020 Top 20, you have names like Brandon Boston, Josh Christopher, Greg Brown, Moussa Cisse, Daishen Nix, Jaden Springer, Keon Johnson, Mark Williams, Makur Maker and Bryce Thompson.

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I remember this too. I remember one team being just our recruits but in retrospect that doesn't seem realistic, did we actually have 8+ recruits that year? It was hyped up pretty big in Ames, coming into year 4 of the Floyd era with this great recruiting class after three straight years of advancing to at least the second round of the tourney and coming off a Sweet 16 year. Gerrod Henderson lit it up in this game.

For our recruits I remember:
  • Fizer
  • Rancik
  • CJ Bruton
  • Henderson
  • Stensrud (did he ever actually play? I remember him in football but no basketball)
Other freshmen on the 1997-98 roster, none of whom did much, were:
  • Lee Love
  • Paris Corner
  • Lamont Sides
  • Marcus Clark
Stensrud never played basketball. Played TE as a true freshman, converted to tackle, and ended up having a nice career at ISU, and played in NFL Europe for a time. Walter Moore and Chris Ridens were in that class also. Rancik, Fizer(McDonald AA), and Henderson were all top 100 h.s. players. Bruton was the best JUCO in the class. Those 4 were the headliners for sure.

Reactions: rosshm16

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd love to get him at WVU. WVU is in a total rebuild mode and needs bodies. ISU is at a different place. ISU was a number 1 seed (should've been). ISU also plays Huggins ball. Huggins ball isnt for everyone.

DeVries wants a bunch of shooters on the court. you know set picks for a 3, backdoor cuts, etc. WVU, like ISU,has players scheduled for visits. who knows what WVU or any other team's roster will look like next fall.

Go back and watch Huggins ball.

ISU does not play Huggins ball.

And ISU also uses picks for 3 and back door cuts.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
I don't know...there might be some truth or half truth here.

Look at how all of Fran's kids have been labeled as some massive game changer at some point, Connor should have been D2 at best and PMac is a role player or mid major player. I lived in Chicago and saw the local highlights for 15 years, players like Candice Parker and Derek Rose. I'm 100% sure nobody would have labeled any of Fran's kids as top D1 prospects playing against that competition.
Never been a fan of the McCaffery boys. I think if there dad wasn't who he is, they would be a bunch of D2 and low major kids.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
I think the whole Omaha saga is as much an indictment of the quality of Iowa HS basketball as much as anything else. Yeah, Omaha looked like a 5-star in HS because he's in Waukee, IA playing 2A Iowa boys BB teams. Put him in the Chicago Public League and you'd never even have heard from him. He'd probably still get 3 stars because of his raw athleticism, but no way Omaha dominates Proviso East like he dominates Decorah HS.
Iowa HS basketball is not the problem here. The state produces kids every year that go on to play D1 and standout. Granted some areas of the state are better than others, but with travel ball as a resource, the gap between Iowa kids and other states aren't far and away.

Now in regards to Omaha, I think he is a victim of bad/lazy scouting. As someone who has watched him since he's been 12 years old, you cannot deny his physical tools. Great size, long arms, elite athleticism and that is where it ends. Watching him play in the state tournament confirmed my beliefs on Omaha that we have all witnessed first hand this year. He is not big enough to play in the post, and not skilled enough to play on the wing. So that leaves us with a player with great physical tools with no idea how to apply them to real game action against formidable competition. In the end, Omaha was a 5 star athlete but a 3 star basketball player.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I'm not saying great players from Iowa wouldn't dominate anywhere, clearly every player you listed would dominate for every high school in every city ever...but a player who has been overrated by services (I used McCaffe x3) can probably be exposed as overrated easier in some urban basketball hotbed than in Iowa.

The other thing I don't get is people say the HS competition quality doesn't matter because AAU brings them all together and is the real talent showcase. Then I'll hear experts and D1 coaches talking about how AAU style basketball is horrible, nothing like real basketball and no great defense. So I can't see how AAU alone is some gold standard by which to evaluate. It would seem to me that watching a matchup of elite high school teams is the best way to judge a player, it's just not every player has that chance.

AAU/travel/whatever they call it isn't the gold standard, but it does show skill, talent and athleticism. There is defense played when the coaches/players decide they want to. Which isn't that often, but it does happen, and then you can see that a lot of these kids do know how to play defense. If someone does well against the top players from around the country, it's safe to say they would do well in high school in any state. Biliew would've done well in any state. The McCaffery's were overrated, IMO, due to their dad. Most Iowa kids aren't overrated. A lot of them come in underrated.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Omaha could fit into a system with a more spread-out offense if he could work on his ability to secure the ball when rebounding or receiving a pass. I thought that was a major weakness this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Omaha is rated 26th in the current 247 transfer ranking. I thought hmmmm that is interesting. Then I saw that Fish is the current 15th rated transfer, which made me instantly discount the transfer rankings on that site. I mean Fish may very well turn out to be a good player, and I think he will, but does anyone really think he is the 15th best in the huge portal right now?
How could anyone, based on his play when he was a senior in high school? That said, I don't think On3 has them rated nearly so high.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Omaha could fit into a system with a more spread-out offense if he could work on his ability to secure the ball when rebounding or receiving a pass. I thought that was a major weakness this year.
I mean, I could fit into a system with a more spread out offense.

I think this is my argument for him moving down for a period of time. His athleticism isn’t giving him an advantage at this level. He needs to be able to shoot or have superior athletic ability if he’s playing in the Big 12.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
He's inability to raise his arms for rebounds and defense is what always stood out to me. I wish him well as he obviously worked his butt off for us.

Reactions: Cyrealist

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

We play tough defense but in no way do we play the physically assault like defense Thuggy did.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Iowa HS basketball is not the problem here. The state produces kids every year that go on to play D1 and standout. Granted some areas of the state are better than others, but with travel ball as a resource, the gap between Iowa kids and other states aren't far and away.

Now in regards to Omaha, I think he is a victim of bad/lazy scouting. As someone who has watched him since he's been 12 years old, you cannot deny his physical tools. Great size, long arms, elite athleticism and that is where it ends. Watching him play in the state tournament confirmed my beliefs on Omaha that we have all witnessed first hand this year. He is not big enough to play in the post, and not skilled enough to play on the wing. So that leaves us with a player with great physical tools with no idea how to apply them to real game action against formidable competition. In the end, Omaha was a 5 star athlete but a 3 star basketball player.

Aka definitely worth a flyer. Didn’t pan out, so move him out, bring Heise in, and that’s what happened. Everyone is happy I assume.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
AAU/travel/whatever they call it isn't the gold standard, but it does show skill, talent and athleticism. There is defense played when the coaches/players decide they want to. Which isn't that often, but it does happen, and then you can see that a lot of these kids do know how to play defense. If someone does well against the top players from around the country, it's safe to say they would do well in high school in any state. Biliew would've done well in any state. The McCaffery's were overrated, IMO, due to their dad. Most Iowa kids aren't overrated. A lot of them come in underrated.
And this is why Patrick McCaffery still probably would've been rated fairly high and would've been a P6 prospect. He was tall and had good offensive skill and mobility for a HS kid of his size. The fact that he's an absolutely horrible defender, particularly off the ball, does not show up or stand out in AAU ball.

I suppose Connor they tried to pull the "once he stops playing baseball his game will take off" argument. But nonetheless, these two kids' rankings were absolutely inflated by being the kids of a P6 coach.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Or Barnes, McD, Hinrich, Collison, Hoiberg, etc...
I still remember the game when Ames High with McD and Barnes played I think it was the state runner up in 4A the previous year from Waukegan, Illinois (and I think was a semifinalist that season). Ames just freaking demolished them. It was one of those games where it's clear they could play 10 times and one team was winning every time, and it was never competitive. That team was ridiculous.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron