Omaha

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Spent about a 1/2 day in Omaha on Friday checking out a few places.

Beertopia-Great selection and friendly/helpful staff. Picked up some Kros Strain Fairy Nectar, which is excellent.

Farnam-The locals said this was on of the best in town so I thought I would check it out. Cool place and friendly staff. Didn't really enjoy any of the beers I tried. Hop Complex and Taft Stout were both underwhelming. I did try a pretzel and it was awesome.

Crescent Moon-The two ladies that served us were pretty clueless but that's ok. The food(Reuben) was good. The first 3 beers I ordered had all blown even though they were on the menu and untapped. Breaking bad knee deep was pretty good, Infusion Max's was very good, scratchtown sideburns was very good, and I ended with Surly Wet, which is always good. Not sure how it got to be one of the top 100 craft bars in the U.S. but it was decent. They probably have 30 or so beers on tap.

From the few times I've visited Omaha, I'd say it's has a long way to go before it reaches the Des Moines level but still pretty decent.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Bro no. There is plenty of great places in Omaha to go for brewery beer. Crescent moon is great for beer selection but I would pass on their basement beer. Next time you are down here, head west and hit up Nebraska Brewing (some solid options with many seasonal taps at the tap room location), Klos/Pint 9 (klos has a fantastic Amber and IPA and Pint 9’s IPA is good and they are located in walking distance from each other), Lucky Bucket (Good prohibition lager and certified evil stout on tap is great) and Infusion locates in the Benson area.
There is tons more but those would be recommendations.

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
Spent about a 1/2 day in Omaha on Friday checking out a few places.

Beertopia-Great selection and friendly/helpful staff. Picked up some Kros Strain Fairy Nectar, which is excellent.

Farnam-The locals said this was on of the best in town so I thought I would check it out. Cool place and friendly staff. Didn't really enjoy any of the beers I tried. Hop Complex and Taft Stout were both underwhelming. I did try a pretzel and it was awesome.

Crescent Moon-The two ladies that served us were pretty clueless but that's ok. The food(Reuben) was good. The first 3 beers I ordered had all blown even though they were on the menu and untapped. Breaking bad knee deep was pretty good, Infusion Max's was very good, scratchtown sideburns was very good, and I ended with Surly Wet, which is always good. Not sure how it got to be one of the top 100 craft bars in the U.S. but it was decent. They probably have 30 or so beers on tap.

From the few times I've visited Omaha, I'd say it's has a long way to go before it reaches the Des Moines level but still pretty decent.

Beertopia is great, I go there often for beer. Between that and the Council Bluffs HyVees, I can get nearly any beer I’m looking for.

Farnam House Brewery... I am not sure which locals would say it is the best. I (and most friends) would say the best breweries in town are Kros Strain, Infusion, Nebraska Brewing, Vis Major. There are several others I’d go to before Farnam House too. If you asked the people in Crescent Moon/Beertopia maybe they referred you there because it is close and I am pretty sure it is owned by the same person who owns Crescent Moon/Beertopia.

Crescent Moon is a great craft beer bar, I think that is some bad luck along with maybe transitioning to more winter styles. I know they make their new waitresses go to beer school (which is a very fun series of classes/drinking nights btw). Food is decent there, probably some better nearby places if you are more interested in food and less beer options. My main complaint is too many Creighton homers, especially during basketball season.

Omaha definitely is more spread out than Des Moines, and we are stuck with tons of Husker and Creighton fans, so I’d agree with your sentiment. But, if you know what you’re looking for it is also quite enjoyable to live here too.

• Disagree
Reactions: GM4ISU

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Beertopia is great, I go there often for beer. Between that and the Council Bluffs HyVees, I can get nearly any beer I’m looking for.

Farnam House Brewery... I am not sure which locals would say it is the best. I (and most friends) would say the best breweries in town are Kros Strain, Infusion, Nebraska Brewing, Vis Major. There are several others I’d go to before Farnam House too. If you asked the people in Crescent Moon/Beertopia maybe they referred you there because it is close and I am pretty sure it is owned by the same person who owns Crescent Moon/Beertopia.

Crescent Moon is a great craft beer bar, I think that is some bad luck along with maybe transitioning to more winter styles. I know they make their new waitresses go to beer school (which is a very fun series of classes/drinking nights btw). Food is decent there, probably some better nearby places if you are more interested in food and less beer options. My main complaint is too many Creighton homers, especially during basketball season.

Omaha definitely is more spread out than Des Moines, and we are stuck with tons of Husker and Creighton fans, so I’d agree with your sentiment. But, if you know what you’re looking for it is also quite enjoyable to live here too.

Not trying to slam Omaha, I think it's a great town. Lucky Bucket was one of the first craft beers I ever had. The only one on your list that I haven't had is Vis Major. Nebraska Brewing seems to my a lot like Confluence, their regular beers are just ok but their specialty stuff can sometimes be good. I do like their open top cans. Lucky Bucket has seemed to fall off over the last few years. I'm excited to try more Kros Strain though.

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
Brickway Brewery and Distillery in the Old Markey is good. They have an excellent coffee vanilla stout that they usually have on tap 2 ways - nitro and CO2.

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
Farnam House is OK but not particulary remarkable. Kros Strain and Nebraska Brewing are definitely better than anybody else in town. If you want to try a variety of Nebraska brewers, then hit up one of the Local Beer, Patio, and Kitchen locations.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We went to Nebraska Brewing last summer and your comparison to Confluence is pretty apt. Lots of good beers, nothing blows you away.

Didn't have time to go to Beertopia. Really regret that.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
We went to Nebraska Brewing last summer and your comparison to Confluence is pretty apt. Lots of good beers, nothing blows you away.

Didn't have time to go to Beertopia. Really regret that.
I love their brown ale ("Brunette")
Their very best is their IPA's aged in chardonnay barrels. They used to call it Hop God but someone had the copywright on the name. Have not seen it in a while but that was creme of the crop.